First real travel with Cafe Egg - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2010, 09:51 PM   #1

Trailer: 2010 Escape 17 B
First real travel with Cafe Egg

We had our first real vacation with Cafe Egg. It was a travel with a lot of first's. Hitching Cafe Egg up solo, using the wet bath, using the dumping station, using the water pump, using the fridge, using the screen room, etc. You get the point, it was the first real travel with Cafe Egg, entirely living in her for 10 days. And everything was very well doable for me being on my own, without extra help.

My daughter and I went camping to Milton Ontario. We were on a little camp ground (Milton Heights Campground). I highly recommend this place, it is very quiet, pretty, clean, and near many locations where action is guaranteed. We did a lot of sightseeing with our friends who live in Milton, such as going to Toronto, Niagara on the River and Niagara Falls, doing a Safari including riding an Elephant. This was a very active time, leaving us only with one evening time for a camp fire.

We encountered a total of four other fiberglass campers: One 17 foot Bigfoot and one light green Trillium 1300 on the camp ground (I got no chance to speak to the owners, as they were either not there when I was, or they just stayed one night), one Scamp like 13 foot on Hwy 69 going South while we were heading North, and one Boler like 13 foot coming off of the parking lot of WolliWorld in Milton.

And now we are back home, I washed Cafe Egg and brought her back to storage. The next camping trip will be one of the many weekend trips lined up, in two weeks going to Point Beach State Park in WI. Next weekend is no camping only because we are visiting a friend in Minneapolis.

Overall I only can say that I am truly in love with Cafe Egg. It is no problem whatsoever towing her, it actually feels like the 4Runner was made to tow her. We drove an average of 65 mph, going sometimes 70. The WDH makes the two vehicles feel like one unit. Apropos WDH: For me personally it is no problem to work with it while hitching and unhitching. Cafe Egg is very comfortable, and I am very happy that I got floorplan B. Hey, we are two girls traveling... Also the outdoor shower is sweet, I kept using it daily for small tasks. Screen room is a must if you are a favorite fodder for mosquitoes... Needless to say, it is easy to put up.

Now some pictures...
Attached Thumbnails
phpuLOmxbPM.jpg   phpSoQusrPM.jpg  
Old 07-18-2010, 09:53 PM   #2

Re: First real travel with Cafe Egg

... and more...
Attached Thumbnails
phpFM71vPPM.jpg   phpjQdalgPM.jpg  
Old 07-18-2010, 09:56 PM   #3

... I just wish we could have stayed a few weeks longer... It was sad bringing Cafe Egg to storage today....

Here now the obligatory picture, hehe! Taken on the way home on a rest area somewhere in Indiana.
Attached Thumbnails
phpPzfEqoPM.jpg  
Old 07-18-2010, 11:05 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

Any chance you could post a video on how to set up the bug room? Reace showed me how when I got it about two years ago and I haven't used it since.

baglo
Old 07-19-2010, 07:13 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: gharms...Great shots...great memories!!! Sorry, our Provincial bird is the "Mosquito". Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:45 AM   #6

You definitely have it going! I would venture to say you on the road to happy trails..

favorite quote: "Put the candle back"
JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:25 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

You are now a seasoned veteran, Gerda.

You can slide the webbing that rolls the awning in and out right of the end if you want it out of the way. Ours slides of the left side. That way it stays dry and out of the way.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:39 PM   #8

Great looking set-up! Looks like you are going to have alot of fun!!

Quick question: what size tires do you have on your trailer?
eskap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:17 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)

Gerda - great pictures and great to hear about your wonderful trip. Mary and I are heading out next Sunday. First up to Presque Isle to pick up a used Kevlar Wenonah canoe that we bought on eBay. (Now I need to sell our used fiberglass Wenonah) Then we are heading over to Jay Cooke State Park near Duluth. It is on what is supposed to be a great bike trail - Minnesota has wonderful paved bike trials. It is our first trip out since returning from our long journey to the Northwest to pickup our 17B and touring the Washington Olympic peninsula.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:03 PM   #10

Nadia, Cafe Egg has the high lift axle and 15" tires.

Jim, now that you mentioned it, of course the awning webbing can slide out on one side, as much as the keder of the screen room slides in. I haven't thought about that one, hehe!

Baglo, my only camera is the Canon PowerShot, an older model. I don't know how much I can get on there. But I can describe it briefly here, and all fellow Escapees, please chime in if you have better ways of setting it up or if something was different a few years ago:

1) Open the awning as you do normally
2) Spread all screen room pieces out and see what is there. There should be two large screen room nets, each with one half of a zipper, one long white piece and one smaller white piece, all with push buttons. Also there should be a total of 6 rod pieces, three different styles. They make up two rods. Also there should be some stakes.
3) Put the rods together. When done, they will have one flat end and one pointed end.
4) Figure out which of the two screen room nets go on the opposite side from where the little opening to the rail on the awning "tube" is located. On Cafe Egg the opening in the awning tube is facing back. The screen room pieces can go only one way, because the push buttons are placed on Toad asymmetrically.
5) Insert one of the assembled rods into the screen room half going in first. Note that the flat end of the rod needs to face the side of the screen room half with the push buttons.
6) Slide the keder of the correct half screen room in the rail. Snap the screen room half onto Toad using those push buttons.
7) Insert the pointed end of the rod in the hole located in the awning tube, putting tension on the screen room assembly.
8) Repeat steps 5) to 7) for the other half.
9) Put the zipper halfs together.
10) Snap the long white piece onto Toad, to prevent the blood suckers from entering the screen room from underneath the camper.
11) Snap the small piece onto Toad. The locations where to put those pieces on should be self explanatory, just check the pattern of those push buttons again, and the cut of the white pieces.
12) Stake out the screen room to keep it in shape.

By the way, watch out when storing your trailer outside. Close that little opening into the rail of the awning tube, otherwise the entire rail may get infested with some breeding bugs. I had some sort of nest in there, over the entire with of the awning rail. I poked it out using a knife. It was really icky...

Old 07-19-2010, 09:20 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

Thank you. It's not easy describing a procedure, using only words.

I'm off for two weeks with Toad and the Old Bag next Sat. and maybe I'll get to try out the screen room.

I've printed your instructions.

Thanks.

baglo
Old 07-20-2010, 12:07 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 19' Escape

Nice photos, Gerda! Congratulations on doing the whole thing yourself! I took our 16' Casita by myself one time to meet other family members for a week's camping, but I have yet to attempt to back up our 19' Escape.