First Time - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2014, 03:22 PM   #1

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
First Time

First Impressions

Tried out our new 5.0 TA for the last couple days at a not so local no hookup state park (George Washington in RI) to see what we want to change before heading out next month for points west. Nice park by the way.

Obviously just our opinions but if you're interested here they are.

1. The fifth wheel pulled like a dream. After years of a same size conventional bumper pull the complete lack of bounce and jolt was better then I had hoped. It really feels like one unit instead of the 2 that it is.
2. On our admittedly short trip, 100 minutes each way, we averaged 13.5 mpg mixed highway and back roads. Same trip with the old trailer (7.6' wide, 3700 lbs) was 10.5. Again better then expected, I was prepared for no change. F150 Ecoboost TV.
3. Moved all our stuff from the old trailer (same sq') to the Escape, got to be close to double the storage space, never expected this much of a difference.
4. The table and dinette (U) is huge, thinking about finding an inflatable pouf for my feet though.
5. More aisle space, no waiting for DW to move out of the way.
6. DW loves the double sink, the counter extension and sink covers provide ample counter space when needed.
7. Dinky bathroom will take some getting used to, good thing we seldom use our onboard for showers. Pretty much have to stand in the aisle and use the kitchen counter to put down bathroom items. Need to look into some sort of wall mount bins or some such. For what it is we could have done without the bathroom sink.
8. Wish we had had ETI trim down the angled cuts a bit more to access the dinette, if we weighed any more then we do I'd have to get out the Sawsall.
9. Ran a 12v Endless Breeze fan outdoor for about 12 hours. Nice fan for discouraging bugs, about 1ah on low.
10. Screen door will also take getting used to. Mounted handles on it but they need to be 6” or so below the catch which is my calculations are right, it would impede the 36” floor track.
11. Need to hunt down lower wattage bulbs for the captain lights, way too bright for our needs.
12. Bed works out well, no more climbing over each other. The steps to it work out well as a seat to put on your shoes. Need to come up with something for a night light, going from bed to the head is easy, it's finding the bed after blinding yourself with the bathroom light that's the issue. Bought a couple red 12v leds (thanks Jim) to test with.
13. Swapped out the closet rod with one that's 1” so the RV no fall off hangers will work.
14. Need to cover the escape hatch hole with something without impeding the air flow, too bright too early for me.
15. Have to give some thought to the door step.
16. Shorter folks can't reach the ceiling lights.

Had a few folks stop by for the nickle tour while we were there, DW seems to have taken to the tour guide part of this. Overall we're very happy with the trailer and think it'll fit this phase of our lives just fine.
Old 07-12-2014, 04:01 PM   #2

You might consider one or two of these strategically placed The SnapRays Guidelight | Snap Power
Just a thought.

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 04:04 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Bob, did you find the mattress of your new 5.0TA comfortable?
Bill
Bill and Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 04:38 PM   #4

Cypher, thanks for the link, if only they were 12vdc.

Bill,
We normally sleep on memory foam which is quite soft, the bed in the trailer is hard in comparison, enough so that on night 1 we both struggled with it. On night 2 it was not so bad but not real good either. Maybe the hardness is something you can get used to, kind of like staying in a motel room where the 1st night is bad but okay after that. As it was only 2 nights it's hard to say how it'd work long term.

When we got home today we put in the memory foam topper we had for the old trailer.
Old 07-12-2014, 04:41 PM   #5

Padlin you may want to check with the company if you have an outlet that is 12 volts or one hooked to an inverter it might work on 12v too.

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 04:51 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherian View Post
You might consider one or two of these strategically placed The SnapRays Guidelight | Snap Power
Just a thought.

Cypher
That sure is clever! Thanks for the info.
Old 07-12-2014, 05:08 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Cypher, thanks for the link, if only they were 12vdc.

Bill,
We normally sleep on memory foam which is quite soft, the bed in the trailer is hard in comparison, enough so that on night 1 we both struggled with it. On night 2 it was not so bad but not real good either. Maybe the hardness is something you can get used to, kind of like staying in a motel room where the 1st night is bad but okay after that. As it was only 2 nights it's hard to say how it'd work long term.

When we got home today we put in the memory foam topper we had for the old trailer.
I'm kind of new to trailer power systems, so correct me if I'm wrong:

All the 110V AC outlets in your trailer run on AC power.
If you are not hooked up, they won't work unless you have an inverter.
If you replace the existing AC outlet covers in your trailer with these, and are hooked up, they will work. If you are using an inverter, they will also work.

No?
Old 07-12-2014, 06:06 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:
First Impressions

12. Bed works out well, no more climbing over each other. The steps to it work out well as a seat to put on your shoes. Need to come up with something for a night light, going from bed to the head is easy, it's finding the bed after blinding yourself with the bathroom light that's the issue. Bought a couple red 12v leds (thanks Jim) to test with.
We got a motion activated LED night light and put it up inside the bathroom. It comes on when you enter, and since it aims downward, it doesn't blind you, or wake you up, but it does provide enough light to take care of business.
Attached Thumbnails
17-BathroomNightLight.jpg  
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 06:07 PM   #9

Yes, an inverter with the complete xfer switch option.
Old 07-12-2014, 06:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
We got a motion activated LED night light and put it up inside the bathroom. It comes on when you enter, and since it aims downward, it doesn't blind you, or wake you up, but it does provide enough light to take care of business.
Is it 12vdc? if so I'd be interested in more info.
Old 07-12-2014, 06:53 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Is it 12vdc? if so I'd be interested in more info.
Several battery models available, I don't think Escape can put outlets in the bath due to electrical codes.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:02 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
The light I posted works on a couple of AA batteries. So not wired into the 12 volt system, but on the other hand, doesn't seem to be affected by the couple of showers we have taken
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote