First trip out, first thoughts - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Old 06-10-2013, 11:46 AM   #11
Trailer: 2009 Escape 19

I know what you you mean by the "up-and-down" bouncing with a 19-- I think of it as "hobby horsing or "teeter-tottering"", and believe it's inherent with dual axles, especially when going over a bump in the road (picture what the trailer is doing in slo-mo as each axle goes over the bump, and especially how the teeter-totter is magnified at either end of the trailer -- that motion is telegraphed through the hitch to the TV). I took a 3-pronged approach to taming it: WDH hitch, air bag helper springs, and I just got the front cargo box and had my batteries placed there. Much less motion. If I had it to do over, though, I'd probably go with Roadmaster helpers instead of air bags. Hope this helps.

Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:13 PM   #12
Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
Bruce, how come you would prefer the road master set up rather than the air bags?

MacRae, 21ft
2016 GMC Yukon SLT
St.Albert Alberta
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:56 PM   #13
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
I've towed my 17B with and without the WDH on the RAV4. The WDH takes a lot of bounce out of the ride.
2009 Escape 17B "Toad"
2008 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport
North Vancouver, British Columbia

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:38 PM   #14
Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
Dave - The Roadmaster set-up is pretty much plug-n-play, the air bags have to be inflated/deflated, depending on whether or not I'm towing. I'm basically lazy.

Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:10 PM   #15
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
This trip didn't have any major hills, but it did have a number of minor ones. No worries about power towing the 19 with a Frontier.

Bruce: I understand what you're saying about tandem axles. It hadn't occurred to me that the tandem axle would feel different than a single axle, but it makes sense.

btw, related to an earlier thread I started regarding the tandem axle... Parked on a fair slope, I dropped the hitch jack as far as I could to level the trailer. While in this position, I torqued the lug nuts on the trailer wheels, and found that applying 100 ft lbs on the rear wheels was enough to cause the wheels to spin a bit -- by lowering the tongue jack all the way, almost all of the trailer's weight was transferred to the front wheels. Arguably, that's too much. So just because you can level the trailer with the jack doesn't mean you should. When I parked again after this trip, I put some additional blocks under the rear wheels so I didn't need to lower the jack so far.

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2012 Nissan Frontier
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote