Fixing to order my 1UPUSA bike rack - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2016, 08:33 AM   #1

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
Fixing to order my 1UPUSA bike rack

For those of you who have the 1UPUSA bike rack, I'm wondering if you had to order an extender or anything of that sort to clear the spare tire?

I'll be towing two bikes on the back of our 19. So I'm ordering the 2 inch heavy duty double rack. And since my bike has fenders on both wheels, I'll be ordering 2 fender cushions.

Anything else I need?
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 09:02 AM   #2

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Our 1UP fits great on our 17B without any extension. Not sure if spacing is same same on a 19 but they look the same with my eyeball ruler.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:05 AM   #3

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
Here is ours, no extender.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7177 (2).jpg  
nathanj04011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 09:09 AM   #4

Great, thanks for the replies, about to hit the order button now
Old 09-26-2016, 11:13 AM   #5

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregandTeresa View Post
For those of you who have the 1UPUSA bike rack, I'm wondering if you had to order an extender or anything of that sort to clear the spare tire?

I'll be towing two bikes on the back of our 19. So I'm ordering the 2 inch heavy duty double rack. And since my bike has fenders on both wheels, I'll be ordering 2 fender cushions.

Anything else I need?
I have the 1UP on my 5.0 TA, no extenders and the bike easily clears the spare tire. Its a great bike rack.
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 11:21 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 "LollyPop" June 12, 2017, sold Coleman pop up
You will love the 1 Up.
casejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 06:07 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 5TA/ *012 17B (previous)
Wish I could have got one of the 1ups but I contacted the company and it won't really work if you have any kind of racks, which we use for our bike bags, which for us is a must have.....too bad.
'Have No Regrets'
Chapitre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 06:41 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapitre View Post
Wish I could have got one of the 1ups but I contacted the company and it won't really work if you have any kind of racks, which we use for our bike bags, which for us is a must have.....too bad.
There are lots of quick release rear racks for bikes if you wish to have one.

This is the only one I know of that is a good one, I am sure there are lots of others. Nice to be able to take the weight off when not needed too.
https://www.pletscher.ch/index.php/e...ck-carriers-en
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 09:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapitre View Post

I think this is bike dependent, because we carry two Kona Ute cargo bikes on our 1UP rack, both of which sport huge cargo deck racks. Would attach pic if bikes on rack but don't have easy access to such right now. These is a stock pick of a Ute:

Note, I had to crop our rear fenders to work with the 1UP. Fender still covers front half of rear tire.
Old 09-27-2016, 06:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
Note, I had to crop our rear fenders to work with the 1UP. Fender still covers front half of rear tire.
I ordered two protective foam rollers for my one bike that has fenders on front and back. Was that not an option when you got yours?

And I was told yesterday that our 1Up should go out today and be delivered by Friday...pretty excited to try it out.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:14 AM   #11

Quote:
I ordered two protective foam rollers for my one bike that has fenders on front and back. Was that not an option when you got yours?

And I was told yesterday that our 1Up should go out today and be delivered by Friday...pretty excited to try it out.

I don't think the foam rollers were available when we got ours. We've had it about five years. We searched a long time to find a tray-based rack that would handle the extended wheelbase of our cargo bikes, and this was the only one we found.

They really are a superior product. You can see at once why they're so expensive when you see it in person. Congratulations on purchasing a quality item that should last a very long time!
Old 09-30-2016, 08:22 AM   #12

The 1Up was waiting for me on the front porch when I got home yesterday. I will have to say it's very impressive and even though I really, really, really did not want to spend that kind of money on a bike rack, I think we are going to be very happy that we did in the long run.

I loaded both bikes onto the back of our Pathfinder and drove around the neighborhood, and it they did not even move.

And I also made sure that it's going to work on the back of the camper.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:43 AM   #13

Quote:
The 1Up was waiting for me on the front porch when I got home yesterday. I will have to say it's very impressive and even though I really, really, really did not want to spend that kind of money on a bike rack, I think we are going to be very happy that we did in the long run.

I loaded both bikes onto the back of our Pathfinder and drove around the neighborhood, and it they did not even move.

And I also made sure that it's going to work on the back of the camper.
What, you thought we were maybe lying to you?

Congrats on getting it. Isn't it a pleasure to use?

I just wish there was a receiver on the back of my temp trailer so I could use mine. What a pain loading them inside compared to the ease of use of the 1UP.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-30-2016, 08:46 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
What, you thought we were maybe lying to you?
Not at all Jim, it's just that I'm really, really cheap, and sometimes I just have to learn the hard way. But I do eventually get there.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:51 AM   #15

Quote:
Not at all Jim, it's just that I'm really, really cheap, and sometimes I just have to learn the hard way. But I do eventually get there.
There is that point when you realize you are not being cheap, but actually getting value for your money. Kinda like the decision to buy an Escape.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:31 PM   #16

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Fixing to order my 1UPUSA bike rack

I broke down and spent $$$ for a Super duty 1UpUSA rack for my FLX e-bike. I mounted it on my F150 with a Curt front receiver hitch. I was surprised that it didn't need an extension despite the fact that the hitch is set fairly far back. I like this rack a lot.

The bonus: if I drive so the road stripe is running through the outer most segment of the bike's cargo rack, I'm centered in the lane.
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 06:26 AM   #17

We are still loving ours. It took me a while to break down and spend the money, but it was definitely money well spent
Old 02-10-2017, 01:01 PM   #18

Trailer: 2012 15A
It took me a while to convince myself that getting the 1UPUSA was worth it.
But after considering everything that was not great with my previous rack, I decided to go for the 1UP. The ease of loading and unloving the bikes and the security of them siting on the rack is far more than I had imagined.
Even paying the 27% premium on $CAN vs $US, I believe it is well worth the cost.

Can't wait for the snow to disappear here and the weather to warm up so I can get back out on my bike. It will be a bit longer before I can load up the bikes and head to Whistler to ride. Till then, I will enjoy the skiing.
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 09:34 PM   #19

Trailer: 2011 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
It took me a while to convince myself that getting the 1UPUSA was worth it.
But after considering everything that was not great with my previous rack, I decided to go for the 1UP. The ease of loading and unloving the bikes and the security of them siting on the rack is far more than I had imagined.
Even paying the 27% premium on $CAN vs $US, I believe it is well worth the cost.
John, did you consider the Thule Pro 2, and if so, why did you go for the 1Up? I am looking at the Thule for my 2 electric bikes and wonder if it would be sufficient. The 1UP looks good but about $200 more?

My Blog; https://lenanddian.blogspot.com
Old Fulica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 10:02 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Quote:

Anything else I need?
I also have a bike with fenders. For the rear fender, I ordered the longer rod for clamping the tire (the one for very fat tires). This clears the metal rods that attach the rear fender to the bike frame. I also found the foam for holding the fender was too soft. I use a piece of the black small diameter pipe insulation. It works great and when it gets worn out I cut off another piece. A pool noodle would probably work also.