For Canadians heading south - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2016, 11:55 PM   #21

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
If asked in a job interview, "do you drink?", don't say, "what have you got".
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 12:05 AM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: All... Is it just me... or are these questions from Border Security Officers getting personal in nature? Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 08:42 AM   #23

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
I get the same two questions consistently. Going North: Do you have any means of self-protection? Going South: Do you have any firewood?
Old 09-10-2016, 09:26 AM   #24

Heading North... New ???'s

Hi: All... This spring heading north I was asked a new question. "How many opened bottles of liquor do you have in your trailer". Caught me unprepared but my quick response was 4. "How much is in them"? Again a quick answer "About half". Must have satisfied her curiosity... as she typed away at her computer. Alf
Old 09-10-2016, 09:55 AM   #25

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Hi Alf:
Crossing back into Michigan after killing two bears in Ontario, my son driving, the cute Canadian border agent asked him," do you have any liquor?" My son, big, good looking and available at the time, said "I got about a half a jug of Crown in the back" I held my breath knowing that his next words would be "what time do you get off?" But he has more sense and class than his old man and she then let us pass. I was relieved and dissappointed at the same time.
See you next Thursday
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 10:26 AM   #26

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Quote:
Originally Posted by captmath View Post
I get the same two questions consistently. Going North: Do you have any means of self-protection? Going South: Do you have any firewood?
Going into Canada a year ago at Osoyoos, I really got grilled about having or owning any firearms. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 10:53 AM   #27

Crossing

Hi Loren
I always anticipate the firearms question and usually they do not dissapoint.i always answer with a firm No Sir or No Mam. If asked again about three ways, I will tell them that in whatever year I traveled to Canada to hunt and understand clearly the permit paperwork involved. This has consistently worked for me. I've seen the hassles that can ensue after backtalk and evasive responses. If I'm only serious for five minutes on a three week outing, it's when I am crossing.
Had 2.90 inches of rain for the week. We're wet now.
Dave
Old 09-10-2016, 11:25 AM   #28

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Those who have registered their firearms and have a license to carry are put into a nationwide data base which the border officials have access to, so they know if you own and have a permit to carry. Thus the questions as to if and why are to see if you are being honest in your replies. A good investigator only asks questions that the answers are already known.
Old 09-10-2016, 08:24 PM   #29

Trailer: ex Casita/ 2016 Escape 21 '16 TRD 4x4
I was asked by the border guard going in to Cananda :"why do you have two bicycles on your truck since you're alone? (I planned to ride them both, but not at the same time)
Returning to the USA the officer asked my what was my profession before I retired and did I enjoy it? (Really?)
both dumb questions if you ask me.
Jerry
jerryandmaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 08:33 PM   #30

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryandmaria View Post
Jerry
And he did ask you. For reasons that we will never know.
Old 09-10-2016, 08:58 PM   #31

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
My experiences so far have been that the Canadian guards often have a sense of humor and the US ones either do not, or are forbidden to display one.

Going into Canada once, the guard asked if we had any weapons, Mary said she had a Swiss Army knife in her purse. The guard laughed and said "we're not afraid of the Swiss Army, we have powerful friends to the South" I said, yah we have the powerful military and you have health care. He laughed again and told us to have a great stay in Canada.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 11:27 PM   #32

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryandmaria View Post
I was asked by the border guard going in to Cananda :"why do you have two bicycles on your truck since you're alone? (I planned to ride them both, but not at the same time)
Returning to the USA the officer asked my what was my profession before I retired and did I enjoy it? (Really?)
Jerry
They seem like reasonable questions to me, and of course I don't know what the border agents know.
Although I understand the idea of specialized bikes for different rides, most people don't carry two bikes for one person, so it is reasonable to wonder if there is another person entering the country.
Questions about things that people should know very well (such as the former career of a retired person) are for testing to see if the person is comfortable, or stressed by hiding something; it's unlikely that they care about the content of the answer.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 12:53 AM   #33

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Appears that there is a "rest of the story". The guy who, at the border, admitted to smoking pot in the past is associated with a company that markets marijuana seeds.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:45 AM   #34

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
My experiences so far have been that the Canadian guards often have a sense of humor and the US ones either do not, or are forbidden to display one.

Going into Canada once, the guard asked if we had any weapons, Mary said she had a Swiss Army knife in her purse. The guard laughed and said "we're not afraid of the Swiss Army, we have powerful friends to the South" I said, yah we have the powerful military and you have health care. He laughed again and told us to have a great stay in Canada.
Not quite true, going by the experience we had last year. We do find in general the US agents at Warroad MN are friendlier than those at Pembina ND where we often cross. Last year traveling with four grandchildren to Thunder Bay (we cut through a bit of MN between MB and ON) the guard asked me to open the hatch of the van which I did (power one which almost hit him in the head). He spotted two nerf guns and spoke in a stern voice "Whose guns are these?" As our two grandsons cowered he went on "You must declare any weapons brought into the US". It was obvious that he was joking but don't think the boys enjoyed it at all

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 09:13 AM   #35

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
I'm very happy that the border patrols on both sides are doing their jobs to the best of their abilities. The safety they're ensuring is mine. .
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 09:44 AM   #36

Doing the job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
I'm very happy that the border patrols on both sides are doing their jobs to the best of their abilities. The safety they're ensuring is mine. .
If you want to see a surprised look on their faces, after they have checked your trailer for three declared spuds and couldn't find them, tell them they are doing a good job, that you appreciate it and then offer a handshake. They will be feeling good all the way back to the little house and to what must be a trying job. No dirty spuds coming into the USA that trip. After that, I give leftover fruit and vegetables to Canadians before heading out, or leave the campground feeling like a coyote in a field of cantaloupe.
Dave
Old 09-11-2016, 12:12 PM   #37

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I knew some "spud smugglers" years ago and am glad to hear it still going on. While not as lucrative as smuggling some items there is still a need for "spud smugglers." It is hard to put them in a balloon and swallow them though, which is why "spud smugglers" have to be so creative.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 02:53 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
I knew some "spud smugglers" years ago and am glad to hear it still going on. While not as lucrative as smuggling some items there is still a need for "spud smugglers." It is hard to put them in a balloon and swallow them though, which is why "spud smugglers" have to be so creative.
Hi: Greg A... Stompin' Tom Connors knew how to be creative. Alf
Old 09-12-2016, 05:45 PM   #39

Trailer: Still a ground weary tenter
Boss was ahead of his in laws going south...

My boss told me how when he and his wife were travelling ahead of his in laws across the border. He got through the questions without difficulty. Before he pulled ahead he inform the guard that it was his in laws behind them and could he give them a bit of a hassle. When the father in law pulled up, in the middle of the usual questions came "What was the name of the nurse that was present in the delivery room when you were born?" He snapped back, "I don't know that!". Guard:"Are you telling me you don't know the name of the nurse that was present in the delivery room when you were born?" Father in law: "NO! I was adopted! I don't even know the name of my birth mother!!" The guard laughed and waved him on thru. And my boss lived to tell the tale!!!!
Eagle99 is offline   Reply With Quote