Ford F-150 Recall - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2017, 10:53 AM   #1
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Ford F-150 Recall

The affected models include some of the model year 2015, 2016 and 2017 F-150's, as well as some 2017 Super Duty pickups. The recall includes trucks sold in the United States, Canada and Mexico.

Ford recalling 1.3 million F-series pickups - Oct. 18, 2017
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 11:02 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Those recalls are great. Keep a vehicle long enough and the manufacturers replace darn near everything sooner or later.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 11:13 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I also saw where Tesla is recalling all their "X" vehicles, they seem to be on their last breath supposedly.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:36 AM   #4

"It's Time For Tesla To Stop Paying SolarCity's Debts"

https://seekingalpha.com/article/411...larcitys-debts
thiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 03:04 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I got an email concerning this today. The issue appears to be the door latch freezing in cold weather. The "fix" is apparently the addition of a "water shield" on the door latch, and inspection and possible replacement of the actuator cable if deemed necessary.

There aren't any reported accident or injuries related to the latch, so it's considered a lower priority field service action - although I assume it would be a high priority to owners who live in sub freezing areas.
Old 10-18-2017, 03:23 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
It is not uncommon to recall all units of a model which has only been in production for two years. Although there have been two recalls for the Model X, even that doesn't seem exceptional to me. The parking brake problem (the first recall) is in a part supplied by one of the world's best automotive brake suppliers (Brembo) and is not unique to the Tesla design; the repair cost won't be high as recalls go (minimal labour, parts likely provided by Brembo). The seat problem (the second recall, and mentioned in the linked article) is a more typical Tesla error.

For comparison, that F-150 recall is only one of four recalls for a typical 2016 F-150, and the door handle issue covers the entire current generation of F-150.

Each of these recalls have a description which sounds like it affects a huge number, potentially affects a smaller number of vehicles, and correspond to an actual defect in only a tiny fraction of them.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 07:48 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Thanks for turning an F150 discussing into a Tesla discussion, which has little relevance to most Escape owners.
D&R_SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:22 AM   #8

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by D&R_MA View Post
Thanks for turning an F150 discussing into a Tesla discussion, which has little relevance to most Escape owners.
A forum thread is like a winding mountain road. It may seem that it has gone in the wrong direction, but if you wait long enough, sometimes you will find that you are back on track and going where you want to go.

The F150 is definitely a very popular truck, so there must be many people who are happy with theirs. This seems to be supported by the relatively few recalls that have been issued on the latest models. I know that I have probably received twenty recall notices on a Chevrolet product that we bought new in 2010 (and I highly doubt that I would ever buy another)

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:35 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
A forum thread is like a winding mountain road. It may seem that it has gone in the wrong direction, but if you wait long enough, sometimes you will find that you are back on track and going where you want to go.
.....(
And, of course, the natural conclusion point for every thread is.....poutine!

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:58 AM   #10

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiggins View Post
"It's Time For Tesla To Stop Paying SolarCity's Debts"

https://seekingalpha.com/article/411...larcitys-debts
I have a new F150. Please help me understand how this article relates to the Ford recall; I'm trying to make sure I stay on top of this issue. Thanks.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:59 AM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
And, of course, the natural conclusion point for every thread is.....poutine!
Hi: thoer... I recall that Carbone Nissan in Utica NY. re-calibrated my air bag sensors after replacing the window regulator that refused to budge. They said they checked and it had not been done. Maybe we don't have as many wind bags in Canada!!!
We all know "Poutine" is, after all, a Canadian dish!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 09:03 AM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
I have a new F150. Please help me understand how this article relates to the Ford recall; I'm trying to make sure I stay on top of this issue. Thanks.
No point reading beyond the link provided in Post #1 then.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:19 PM   #13

A recall has little relevance to anyone except owners of the affected vehicle, and those owners are contacted directly by the manufacturer (and their vehicle is checked when they bring it to any dealer for any work), so a forum discussion isn't needed at all.

A forum thread about a recall can be a heads-up to owners who might have been missed, but as baglo said that's accomplished in the first post, so any other posts can be ignored by someone who has very narrow interests. Otherwise, the thread is just a conversation about recalls, with a specific example... it can go where the participants want it to go.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:39 PM   #14

For anyone specifically interested in F-150 door latch issues, I suggest using the NHTSA recall database (which I linked to earlier), or the corresponding Transport Canada database. Both agencies publish factual information (rather than the poorly paraphrased descriptions of news reports and unfounded speculation of rumours), with supporting documents. Also, make sure you are registered with Ford as the owner of your vehicle, ensuring that you get authoritative information, as Robert mentioned.

It appears that the recall just announced as news by CNN Money might refer to the combination of several actual safety recalls of the F-150 according to NHTSA which have been out for months; NHTSA campaign 17V331000 (for instance) refers to the covers which Robert described. I don't see any door handle recalls among the twelve listed for the 2015-2017 F-150 in Canada, so either the Canadian recall is behind the U.S. recall (which is common) or perhaps the problem is only with a trim piece which was not offered in Canada.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:57 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
There aren't any reported accident or injuries related to the latch, so it's considered a lower priority field service action - although I assume it would be a high priority to owners who live in sub freezing areas.
This is a good point: a manufacturer often offers a fix for something which may not work as intended, without a mandated safety recall. Toyota calls these "service campaigns", and other manufacturers use similar terms.

If the issue actually causes a problem for an owner, they are expected to take it to a dealer, who would then offer the fix even if the owner was not aware of the campaign. Most vehicles are not affected (it is common to run campaigns for issues that only cause problems in one percent of the potentially affected units) and so for most people it doesn't matter whether they hear about it or not.

This does reinforce the importance of asking a dealer about anything which doesn't work as it should, even if you don't expect it to be covered by warranty or a recall, since there may be a fix already worked out and offered to you.

I went to a Honda parts department a decade ago to buy some ignition parts for our CRX because it would start from cold fine but stop running later; the parts guy asked why I wanted the parts, asked if I had the ignition module replaced (we had not) and arranged for service to replace it. The module was the problem and we had missed the notification because we were second owners (unknown to Honda).
Old 10-19-2017, 04:54 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Thanks for posting this. I think my 2014 Ford F-150 Supercrew is safe, but I will stay on top of this story.

Regards,

Fred M.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:25 PM   #17

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
For anyone specifically interested in F-150 door latch issues, I suggest using the NHTSA recall database (which I linked to earlier), ...
I just checked my 2016 F-150's VIN on that website, and as of now, it shows "0" recalls on my truck. Do you suppose that is it, or is Ford still sorting through all this?
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:37 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
You can check; https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...per-duty-.html

It looks like it only applies to super duty trucks.
D&R_SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:50 PM   #19
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by D&R_MA View Post
You can check; https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...per-duty-.html

It looks like it only applies to super duty trucks.
That's incorrect. It applies to some F150s (mine included) AND some Super Dutys.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:14 PM   #20

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Our F-150 is on the list [emoji58]