Fresh Water Tank Filling When Connected to City Water - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-08-2016, 08:54 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Posts: 447
Fresh Water Tank Filling When Connected to City Water

I know this is not suppose to happen, but when I'm connected to city water, the fresh water tank fills and then leaks out the fill spout for the city water. I have opened the drain valve and completely emptied the tank, then a day later it is full again. I wonder if the water might be seeping past the pump into the tank. Any help in resolving this would be greatly appreciated.
__________________

Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 11:13 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Daubsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Austin, Texas
Trailer: 2009 Escape 19'
Posts: 243
Fresh Water Tank Filling When Connected to City Water

This is something im really curious about too. I thought the water hookup completely bypasses the fresh water tank, pump included? Also, is the hot water tank the first to fill? I'm under the impression that both tanks need to be emptied independently, but I've only had to empty the fresh water in the short time I've owned mine.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________

Daubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 11:25 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Posts: 13,684
If you are connected to city water, the pump should not be used. It should be off. I don't know if that is your problem, however.
To fill the hot water tank, I connect to city water and then open the water heater pressure relief valve until water shoots out for a couple minutes. To empty the hot water tank, you remove the anode. That is separate from the fresh water tank drain.
The relief valve is top center in the pics and the anode is at the bottom centre.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg anode relief valve.jpg (178.6 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg anode relief valve open.jpg (172.0 KB, 41 views)
__________________
2009 Escape 17B "Toad"
2008 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport
North Vancouver, British Columbia

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 11:55 PM   #4
Site Team
 
padlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southwick, Massachusetts
Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Posts: 5,769
I'd call ETI as your unit is under warranty. Sounds like the pump/check valve to me. Tank is on one side, city water feed on the other.

Someone else posted about this not too long ago.
__________________
Happy Motoring
Bob
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 12:04 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
escape artist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St. Thomas not BVI., Ontario
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Posts: 6,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba55 View Post
I know this is not suppose to happen, but when I'm connected to city water, the fresh water tank fills and then leaks out the fill spout for the city water. I have opened the drain valve and completely emptied the tank, then a day later it is full again. I wonder if the water might be seeping past the pump into the tank. Any help in resolving this would be greatly appreciated.
Hi: Scuba55... We had the same problem. It was the pump itself not holding back the water from entering the fresh tank. The solution was to replace the pump. I called Reace and he sent a new pump. I put it in myself about a 20 min. job. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
__________________
Quote Bugs Bunny..."Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it ALIVE"!!!
'16 Ram Eco D. 4X4 Laramie Longhorn CC & '14 Escape 5.0TA
St.Thomas (Not the Virgin Islands) Ontario
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 02:46 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 11,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Sounds like the pump/check valve to me. Tank is on one side, city water feed on the other.

Someone else posted about this not too long ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
... We had the same problem. It was the pump itself not holding back the water from entering the fresh tank.
I agree.

Here's the recent example of this problem which Bob mentioned:
Water tank overflow
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 09:17 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Posts: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Scuba55... We had the same problem. It was the pump itself not holding back the water from entering the fresh tank. The solution was to replace the pump. I called Reace and he sent a new pump. I put it in myself about a 20 min. job. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Alf, you hit the nail on the head. Its the pump check valve, unfortunately, its out of warranty, but I am going to ask Sureflo to cover it as its not that long out of warranty. If not, I'll just have to eat it.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread!
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 09:19 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Posts: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
If you are connected to city water, the pump should not be used. It should be off. I don't know if that is your problem, however.
To fill the hot water tank, I connect to city water and then open the water heater pressure relief valve until water shoots out for a couple minutes. To empty the hot water tank, you remove the anode. That is separate from the fresh water tank drain.
The relief valve is top center in the pics and the anode is at the bottom centre.
You're correct on all accounts, the pump was not being used. However, the pump check valve failed allowing water to seep thru the pump into the fresh water tank. The solution is to replace the pump.
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 09:48 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Port Angeles, Washington
Trailer: 2014 19'
Posts: 534
Any suggestion for a favorite replacement pump?
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 09:59 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Posts: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post
Any suggestion for a favorite replacement pump?
I'll probably replace it with the same as existing. If I use another brand, that will likely result in modding the connections which is more work than I would like...
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:52 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 11,812
While a pump replacement works, and is the obvious solution for a pump which is still under warranty, on an older unit I would check for a repair kit. If it is just a check valve issue, it may be repairable, as discussed in another thread: Water tank overflow.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 11:11 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 11,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba55 View Post
I'll probably replace it with the same as existing. If I use another brand, that will likely result in modding the connections which is more work than I would like...
That makes sense - for instance, if it is a Shurflo those hand-tightened fittings are convenient for the pump side, but if they don't fit the ports on another brand of pump it could make for some annoying plumbing work.

There are multiple models of Shurflo pump, although within the 12V models it's mostly just a matter of maximum flow rate. Other brands include variable-speed models to eliminate cycling when a faucet is not fully open.

You might find that different brands of pump work with the same fittings. It looks like the Shurflo ports are 1/2" NPSM (National Pipe Straight Mechanical, not tapered) male threads with a 30 degree internal chamfer which seats and seals against a matching cone in the female fitting; since this is an industry standard, it might be on other pumps.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 01:52 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Greg A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Posts: 2,812
I like the Shurflo Revolution pumps myself, if they accidentally run dry it won't damage it.

"The Revolution™ Pump by Shurflo offers a unique one-piece diaphragm and internal by-pass assuring long life and top performance in any plumbing system. Designed and constructed for high flow, low noise, no rapid cycling and high reliability, this fresh water demand pump is super quiet and can run dry without damage. "
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 02:10 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
thoer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Galesville, Wisconsin
Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Posts: 4,207
Greg do you know that model number you bought to replace the stock ETI one? And which park was your profile photo taken in? It looks a lot like the site we were in south of Truth or Consequences.
__________________
Eric (and Mary who is in no way responsible for anything stupid I post)

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 03:52 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Greg A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Posts: 2,812
Eric,
Last one I ordered was this one: http://www.amazon.com/SHURFLO-4008-1...ion+water+pump
I just installed it last month on my Scamp 19.

The icon pic is at Lake Pleasant, AZ west side campground Roadrunner loop.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 04:42 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Posts: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I'd call ETI as your unit is under warranty. Sounds like the pump/check valve to me. Tank is on one side, city water feed on the other.

Someone else posted about this not too long ago.
ETI does not warranty the pump, Sureflo does and its a (1) year. That time has expired. I intend on calling them and asking if they will replace the pump since its only a few months out of warranty. If not, I will look for a replacement on Amazon.
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 04:45 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Posts: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
I like the Shurflo Revolution pumps myself, if they accidentally run dry it won't damage it.

"The Revolution™ Pump by Shurflo offers a unique one-piece diaphragm and internal by-pass assuring long life and top performance in any plumbing system. Designed and constructed for high flow, low noise, no rapid cycling and high reliability, this fresh water demand pump is super quiet and can run dry without damage. "
This sounds like a very good pump, and its not too expensive.
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 04:59 PM   #18
Site Team
 
padlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southwick, Massachusetts
Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Posts: 5,769
Is that what ETI said?
__________________
Happy Motoring
Bob
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 05:10 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Posts: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Is that what ETI said?
No, what they said is that there is only a (1) year warranty and that time has expired. Since it was not covered under their (2) year warranty, I'm assuming they do not warranty the pump, the manufacture does as is the case with many of their installed components.
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 05:35 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
thoer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Galesville, Wisconsin
Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Posts: 4,207
Thanks Greg. Ours seemed to be getting louder the last trip, so I think I'll replace it now and keep the old one as a spare.
__________________

__________________
Eric (and Mary who is in no way responsible for anything stupid I post)

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×