Front Storage Box Capacity - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2017, 12:03 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 - June 27, 2017
Front Storage Box Capacity

Does anyone here happen to have the inside measurements of the front storage box or information on the storage capacity?
rjbny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 12:13 PM   #2

Trailer: 2023 21C
We added one to our 17B after a year and the measurements are: 79”l tapered to 49” l x 19”h x 12”d. An issue for me was the interior centre support, you have to feed long things in under it.
dunnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 12:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnet View Post
We added one to our 17B after a year and the measurements are: 79”l tapered to 49” l x 19”h x 12”d. An issue for me was the interior centre support, you have to feed long things in under it.
We have a 19 coming in a few weeks. Just thinking whether a Barker 15 gallon Tote-A-Long could be transported in it. Dimensions are:

11.25" x 15" x 37"

Looks like it would, although the center support might come into play. Is that support at the top of the box?
Old 06-04-2017, 12:35 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbny View Post
We have a 19 coming in a few weeks. Just thinking whether a Barker 15 gallon Tote-A-Long could be transported in it. Dimensions are:

11.25" x 15" x 37"

Looks like it would, although the center support might come into play. Is that support at the top of the box?
That's not going to work. The aluminum center support is at the top, front to back dead center. I don't know about inserting a tote inside the box anyway. The irregular shape lends itself to the storage of irregular shaped items and small things, like sewer hose accessories, water hoses, electrical cords and adapters, chocks, etc.

Also, be aware that you don't have the full depth in the middle of the box on the 19, because there is a platform in the middle that the batteries sit on. Your storage is basically to the left and the right of the batteries. In a 17 or a 21, you DO have the whole box useable for storage, but not on the 19.

It's a trade off, but we like it. Keeps the batteries outside where they belong, and any off-gassing has no chance to enter the trailer, or set off the propane detector in the middle of the night. Also, it makes battery maintenance a snap, as well as installing a power jack.

One last note: The storage box weight capacity is limited, first by how it's constructed (fiberglass with interior wood framing supports) and second by the fact that you don't want to add hundreds of lbs of tongue weight. A tote like the one you described, if filled, would weigh almost 130 lbs - a no go.
Old 06-04-2017, 12:57 PM   #5

Thanks for the detailed response. I was thinking of an empty tote so we'd actually be carrying relatively little weight on the tongue.

We ordered dual 6 volt batteries. I'm trying to picture where they are located in relation to the storage box.
Old 06-04-2017, 01:14 PM   #6

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbny View Post
Thanks for the detailed response. I was thinking of an empty tote so we'd actually be carrying relatively little weight on the tongue.

We ordered dual 6 volt batteries. I'm trying to picture where they are located in relation to the storage box.
Here is a picture of my 2013 '19 box. The battery is the black box under the cross bar. You would have two of them.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1859.jpg  
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 01:35 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The dual sixers will more or less take up the entire middle of the box up to approximately 10" of the middle support bar. Rather than had plastic totes, I use something like these from Trailer
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...Pewag/PW1.html
one for sewerage, one for small parts. The bags can be squeezed or configured around odd shapes of your power cords, water hoses, wheel chocks, blocks or anything else. BTW, there is a hole drilled in the bottom, perhaps a makeshift cooler also, fill with ice and chill.