Front Window Option on a 21 - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-06-2017, 09:12 PM   #21

Trailer: 2020 Bigfoot 25RQ
I've wondered if they could install a small bathroom window in the front of the 21 and keep the shelf too. That way it would be easy to look out front.

The camera idea is a good one too, much easier to install.
Porterville, CA
Sandyb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 09:24 PM   #22

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Front window

We have the front window. We open it about every time we stop. Condensation has not been a problem, we crack another window and run the max fan on low. Symmetry rarely exists out in nature and that’s where I use the camper so I don’t care what’s centered or regular. Just can’t get that excited. Don’t miss the shelf although there’s less decorating area in the 21 than there was in the 19, I think. I like hearing the wind in the trees, a far off locomotive coming to a crossing and competition barking among the coyotes. Then the thunder starts and I go inside to hear the rain on the roof. I don’t think about symmetry. I’m thankful
for every day I’m out camping.
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
24F2C1B5-5E5F-4175-9FB9-CAAB0B68C4A9.jpg   1D8A95EF-44F9-40A1-B7E2-FD1824EAA276.jpg   D1067C2A-FDE9-4120-AFF6-2706D86ABDD9.jpg   2C9391F2-0931-4D5B-82D5-582EF1496111.jpg  
Old 11-06-2017, 09:29 PM   #23

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 "LollyPop" June 12, 2017, sold Coleman pop up
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitepine View Post
We have the front window. If we are camping in the same spot for extended time, we open it. However, if just an overnight we usually do not open it. Yes, the extra light is great as we like lots of light. Our one complaint is that this is not a thermal window, so there is condensation which we do not want at the head of the bed. We have read on the forum where someone cut reflectix & mounted it with double sided tape to the inside of the rock shield and that prevented condensation. However, we have not tried that as we don't want to use the double sided tape on it. Most people do not like the fact that the window is not centered in viewing the outside of the camper. We did choose to not have the escape lettering put on the front of our camper but when we picked it up at Chilliwack we changed our minds. Escape worked with us & we were able to trim just a tiny bit off the lettering to have it applied to the window & are pleased that we chose to have it done. Even if we did not have the window we would not want the shelf as we would find it a "head knocker". If anything, we would consider a small extension below the overhead cabinet there with just enough space for a book/glasses, etc. We also had 2 captain lights put in at the head of the bed & now wish that we had added more to that area.
So far we have enjoyed the front window in our 21'. We don't open it when boondocking in a parking lot but enjoy being able to see all four directions and having the extra daylight in a campsite. If it will be a cool night we close it. I have a double layer of reflectix with double sided tape there and so far no condensation on any windows at all, though I do keep two windows slightly open at night to help with condensation. I'm unsure why I should not have used the double sided tape, as it seems that I could leave the reflectix in place indefinitely, but maybe I'm missing something there.
casejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 10:23 PM   #24

Trailer: 2016 21/ '16 Tundra 4.6L Dbl. Cab
We don’t have the front window, but:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I like hearing the wind in the trees, a far off locomotive coming to a crossing and competition barking among the coyotes. Then the thunder starts and I go inside to hear the rain on the roof. I don’t think about symmetry. I’m thankful
for every day I’m out camping.
Iowa Dave

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 05:21 PM   #25

Trailer: 2017 17A
I ditched it purely because it is single pane. I'll be out in the winter a bunch, and single pane just won't do-
davedru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 05:34 PM   #26

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I too miss having a front window at times in my 5.0TA. If I had the 21 I would most definitely get the window, for the front view and the added light.

Speaking of a well lit trailer, the 19 is hands down WAY better at allowing natural light in than either the 5.0TA (or the 21), and I really miss that.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 07:09 PM   #27

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
another reason I went back....
Old 04-28-2018, 11:34 PM   #28

Trailer: 2018: Escape 17-A
Quote:
Originally Posted by davedru View Post
I ditched it purely because it is single pane. I'll be out in the winter a bunch, and single pane just won't do-

I’m am planning on ordering a 17A soon and am seriously considering ditching the rock guard window for all the reasons you have previously listed.

Now that you have your trailer, what do you think about the decision to delete the window?

How did it perform winter camping?
cotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 01:05 AM   #29
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cotto View Post
I’m am planning on ordering a 17A soon and am seriously considering ditching the rock guard window for all the reasons you have previously listed.

Now that you have your trailer, what do you think about the decision to delete the window?

How did it perform winter camping?
This thread started with discussing the ADDING of an optional small window (off centered because of the bath) on a 21, so it's kind of drifted.

In any case, it's your trailer of course, so take this with a grain of salt - but - there's no way I'd have them omit the standard front window on a 17, even an A model. It provides great views and light, and makes the interior feel much larger. When it comes to these small trailers, the more windows the better imho, whether they're double pane or not.

Condensation on that one window isn't really a problem. Just cut some rigid foam to fit inside the rock guard and close it at night. Voila. Condensation on that window is also reduced by closing the rock guard even with no added insulation.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:10 AM   #30

Yes, as Robert says, some foam or reflectix and shutting the awning guard at night, you have your own thermal barrier in the front window.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:22 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
This thread started with discussing the ADDING of an optional small window (off centered because of the bath) on a 21, so it's kind of drifted.

In any case, it's your trailer of course, so take this with a grain of salt - but - there's no way I'd have them omit the standard front window on a 17, even an A model. It provides great views and light, and makes the interior feel much larger. When it comes to these small trailers, the more windows the better imho, whether they're double pane or not.

Condensation on that one window isn't really a problem. Just cut some rigid foam to fit inside the rock guard and close it at night. Voila. Condensation on that window is also reduced by closing the rock guard even with no added insulation.
It is also possible to add a window over the drawer stack in a 21' trailer. We added both the front window and one over the drawer stack in our 21'. We love the extra light and the views out all of the windows.
Old 04-29-2018, 08:09 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by casejh View Post
It is also possible to add a window over the drawer stack in a 21' trailer. We added both the front window and one over the drawer stack in our 21'. We love the extra light and the views out all of the windows.
Here is a picture of that addition taken from the "4 sale" section .....really nice
Attached Images

Old 04-29-2018, 09:20 AM   #33
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Absolutely. And on the classic 21 with the framed slider windows, that additional window over the drawers is awning style, just like our sink window on our 19 - the most used window in the trailer.
Old 04-29-2018, 09:23 AM   #34

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
When I started this thread almost 6 months ago we were working through our build sheet. Now we are getting photos from ETI of our trailer in production. The front window option was the one decision we really struggled with right up until the deadline. We ultimately decided not to get the front window but we did get the window over the drawer stack. We would not have even known the window over the drawer stack was an option without this forum. So thank you for all the responses. Can't wait till our orientation at 8:00 am on May 23.
Old 04-29-2018, 10:31 AM   #35

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Matt- I was wondering what you had decided reading this morning. My wife too thought she wanted one, me not at all. I thank Tammy for taking a few minutes on the phone with Susan for perspective and we didnt get it.

At 18 months when we returned to ETI for some warranty work I reminded Susan she could get one then as she had some buyer's remorse and by then she knew she preferred not having one.

Question about the drawer stack window: does light come in from the side in the AM and wake you up?
Old 04-29-2018, 10:35 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Matt- I was wondering what you had decided reading this morning. My wife too thought she wanted one, me not at all. I thank Tammy for taking a few minutes on the phone with Susan for perspective and we didnt get it.

At 18 months when we returned to ETI for some warranty work I reminded Susan she could get one then as she had some buyer's remorse and by then she knew she preferred not having one.

Question about the drawer stack window: does light come in from the side in the AM and wake you up?
No, as long as you are facing north or east or west.....
Old 04-29-2018, 02:48 PM   #37

Quote:

We too learned about the window over the drawer stack option from this forum. I think it would be good if ETI had that option listed. As far as light coming in the window in the AM, both the extra front window and the extra drawer stack window in the 21' have the same pull down shades as every other window does.

And as far as help from this forum, thank you Ross for your assistance with the Springfield pedestal/4-way table slider design for the dinette/lounge area. We made ours like yours and really enjoy it.
Old 04-29-2018, 04:02 PM   #38
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
As many of my camping trips revolve around amateur astronomy, and I'm camping in a wide open space, I've learned to park my trailer with the hitch facing north, so the sun rises on the 'curb side' and sets on the 'street side'... these sites on the west coast often have strong afternoon westerly winds, so the trailer body acts as a wind break, too.

we're up really late at these events, often going to be at dawn's first light, so like to be able to sleep til noonish, this setup helps a lot (and massively beats a tent!)
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 05:29 PM   #39

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
We too learned about the window over the drawer stack option from this forum. I think it would be good if ETI had that option listed. As far as light coming in the window in the AM, both the extra front window and the extra drawer stack window in the 21' have the same pull down shades as every other window does.

And as far as help from this forum, thank you Ross for your assistance with the Springfield pedestal/4-way table slider design for the dinette/lounge area. We made ours like yours and really enjoy it.
Appreciate it; have to say it was Rbryan & Jim Bennett who gave me the ideas for the pedestal and 4-way slide. Seems you got one of the last of the Italian made slides; too bad they can't seem to be sourced anymore. Dicor was weird to deal with though- they really only want to sell the the industry, that was obvious.
Old 04-29-2018, 06:54 PM   #40

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Dicor was weird to deal with though- they really only want to sell the the industry, that was obvious.
And, who can blame them?