Furnace Exterior Access Panel\Door - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-04-2022, 01:34 PM   #41

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
We debated it in another thread. Another member spoke with Dave at ETI and he said it cannot be retrofitted. Need an entire new furnace. So born was the idea to do a separate small access door that doesn’t incorporate the vent but still provides access to sail switch and circuit board.

Another option?
https://www.amazon.com/Amarine-made-...251209605&psc=

Just cut the flange off with a Dremel if it is an issue. The hole cut into the fiberglass could then even be smaller than the hatch itself.
For those considering adding an outside "hatch" to access the sail switch on some Atwood furnaces - it won't work for the Atwood AFSAD12, Serial #72088178, Item 32838 installed in my August 2017 21.

I just replaced the sail switch & control card (I had to pull the furnace & remove the outside exhaust fitting due to the "lip" problem Reace mentions). While a hatch would work for the control card, the sail switch is in the burner side of the furnace behind a screwed on large bakelite cover. Quite different from the newer furnaces...
Old 10-04-2022, 03:13 PM   #42

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Got any pictures of the switch location?

I've bought a marine deck plate to add to my 2016 E19 "classic" as Eggscape has documented for exterior access to the sail switch on his newer version 2018 E19. I've not had the opportunity to do so, and it sounds like I shouldn't bother. I also have the AFSAD12 furnace.

Your thoughts on this, Jon? Do you figure your E21 is different enough for access?
Is the AFSAD12 just not convenient for sail switch access with a exterior hatch?
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 05:17 PM   #43

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
I've bought a marine deck plate to add to my 2016 E19 "classic" as Eggscape has documented for exterior access to the sail switch on his newer version 2018 E19. I've not had the opportunity to do so, and it sounds like I shouldn't bother. I also have the AFSAD12 furnace.

Your thoughts on this, Jon? Do you figure your E21 is different enough for access?
Is the AFSAD12 just not convenient for sail switch access with a exterior hatch?
I don't know if Dometic changed things without changing the model numbers, but an exterior door unless it included the furnace exhaust/intake wouldn't provide access to the sail switch in my furnace. The bakelite cover is about 6" X 6" & has a hole in the center for the exhaust/intake, has 2 edge screws & a face screw holding it in place. That cover must be removed in order to access the sail switch.

Sorry I didn't take photos & I'm not going to pull the furnace again just to take a few

The only way you will be able to check is to pull the furnace & look at the back. Here is the correct sail switch.
Old 10-04-2022, 06:42 PM   #44

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
OK

Jon,
Thanks for your input. I'll leave the issue be, as in..."if it ain't broke, don't fix it". So far, no furnace issues for me.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 11:01 PM   #45

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Jon,
Like yours my Atwood has the same access to the sail switch. Unlike earlier and following models Attwood must have had a short run on this design. I was having problems with my furnace but fingers crossed after a month out it is now igniting every time. Change made was a slight bend on sail switch arm. I did however add another vent to bathroom and can’t rule out this possibly improving exhaust flow some others commented on source of problem.
ChuckBC is offline   Reply With Quote