General Questions About Escape - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2015, 05:56 AM   #61

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
You could always wait till it gets a little beat up before having the Line-X applied. Be easier to wash for a while, plus it'll be that much longer before it yellows, if it does so.
Old 11-05-2015, 09:43 AM   #62

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
I watched a video on a camping trailer from either Australia or New Zealand that was made for serious off-roading. It had fabric/mesh shield that went between the vehicle and the trailer to cut down on rock chips. I thought that was a pretty nifty idea.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 10:34 AM   #63

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
I watched a video on a camping trailer from either Australia or New Zealand that was made for serious off-roading. It had fabric/mesh shield that went between the vehicle and the trailer to cut down on rock chips. I thought that was a pretty nifty idea.
Yeah, checked the fabric types out. The problem with the 5th wheel is that you don't have the tongue frame to mount the fabric. Well, I have all winter to figure it out. Worst case scenario, I keep using the rock tamers and my ACE hardware system.

Scott and Lori
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 10:46 AM   #64

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKsnowbiker View Post
Yeah, checked the fabric types out. The problem with the 5th wheel is that you don't have the tongue frame to mount the fabric. Well, I have all winter to figure it out. Worst case scenario, I keep using the rock tamers and my ACE hardware system.

Scott and Lori
True. Is there any way to attach eyebolts to the trailer and then attach something that way? When we were going to get the 5th, I was wondering about that myself. Now that we've switched to the 21' I have different concerns. (switching due to storage issues of hauling stuff for bazaars; I'll sure miss that loft bedroom though!)
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 10:51 AM   #65

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:

Scott and Lori
Do you find a lot of stones get past your rock tamers, Scott? I have been wondering too, with towing a 5th wheel, do you still have to use a ball mount in the receiver to attach them to?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 11:15 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Do you find a lot of stones get past your rock tamers, Scott? I have been wondering too, with towing a 5th wheel, do you still have to use a ball mount in the receiver to attach them to?
Jim,
The Rock Tamers do make a difference, (they are kind of heavy and unsightly and a pain in the butt to assemble), but I was still getting the occasional rock hit on the front corners. They do mount on a short extension in the receiver.

Scott and Lori
Old 11-05-2015, 11:54 AM   #67

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Jim,
The Rock Tamers do make a difference, (they are kind of heavy and unsightly and a pain in the butt to assemble), but I was still getting the occasional rock hit on the front corners. They do mount on a short extension in the receiver.

Scott and Lori
Why can't you have the line X or the like material sprayed on . Or if after build get it done ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 12:09 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Why can't you have the line X or the like material sprayed on . Or if after build get it done ? Pat
That's my next step. Well thank you for everyone's thoughts and input. The trailer is tucked away for the winter. Supposed to get some snow in the next couple of days. Time to bring out the fat bikes and wax the skate skis. Have a good winter everyone.

Scott and Lori
Old 11-05-2015, 12:14 PM   #69

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
That's my next step. Well thank you for everyone's thoughts and input. The trailer is tucked away for the winter. Supposed to get some snow in the next couple of days. Time to bring out the fat bikes and wax the skate skis. Have a good winter everyone.

Scott and Lori
I believe that would be a good way to good . There is no damage at all because of box with that material , at all . Also do not find it is hard to clean either . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 12:29 PM   #70

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
I think that if I had the 5.0TA, I would just monitor the condition with usage and only add the Line-X if I found that it was becoming damaged and really needed that extra protection.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 05:03 PM   #71

I had a thought (yes, that happens sometimes ). Why not use the 3M Protective Coating used on the front of vehicles, to protect against rock chips. That stuff is real tough, and would not cost very much to have done. Easy to remove if needed too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-06-2015, 06:35 PM   #72

Quote:
I had a thought (yes, that happens sometimes ). Why not use the 3M Protective Coating used on the front of vehicles, to protect against rock chips. That stuff is real tough, and would not cost very much to have done. Easy to remove if needed too.
Jim,
Tried the film. (Do it your self style, a professional would most likely have better results). It was just a little to thick to make the bend near the bottom corner without getting a wrinkle. Just like when I do drywall, I can see every seam but it looks good to everyone else.

So far the Rock Tamers and my ACE hardware guard looks and gives the best results so far. I just find it hard to believe that I have the only 5th wheel that's getting chewed up in front by the gravel roads. I'm running standard all season tires, nothing big or fancy.

Scott and Lori
Old 11-07-2015, 12:52 PM   #73

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Why not use the 3M Protective Coating used on the front of vehicles, to protect against rock chips. That stuff is real tough, and would not cost very much to have done. Easy to remove if needed too.
That makes sense, and I think it was already mentioned by another name. I have this type of film on the front of my motorhome, and I find that it gets stained in little spots of interesting colours by bugs - even when the bug is removed and the surface is smooth, the colour is still there. Since fiberglass (whether an Escape or the moulded front of my motorhome) doesn't rust where it is chipped, I don't find it to be of a lot of benefit.

It would certainly be harmless to the trailer to try it, which is more than I can say for spraying something like Line-X or installing mounting hardware for shields.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 09:15 AM   #74

The 3M Coating does not discolour at all, nor does it stain. I have had in on a few vehicles now. I just pulled it off the Pilot a few weeks ago, after over 7 years of being in place, and it did show a few scuffs on in, but no discolouration at all, but sun or by bugs.

On both front fender corners it had suffered some bad abrasion with resulting small dents in the panel, but when I removed the 3M, I was blown away by how good it looked underneath. There was no harm to the paint at all, and you had to see the wee dents in the right light to tell they were there.

Seeing it will likely cost less than $100 to do, and can fairly easily be removed and replaced if needed, I think this is the way I will go. One of the shops here in town said it would be real easy to do with a smooth moulded trailer body.
Old 11-08-2015, 11:08 AM   #75

Trailer: 5.0TA 2016 Spirit Bear
Spray Foam

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen99 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I think I will add the extra insulation and thermal windows but skip the spray foam and just go with a nice rug as Myron suggested. I'll have to check with ETI on the external solar jack.

My concern with the water tanks was simply one of accessibility. I was concerned they were buried in the belly of the beast and might need to tear up the floor to get at if a problem arose.

We still have a long time, well, a year anyway before decisions have to be made so there's time for consideration. I appreciate the help you folks give on the forums. So much to learn.
Last week we toured ETI and I asked Dennis about the benefit of spray foam. He said when parking in hot climates the heat from the earth underneath will radiate up into the trailer floor.
Lynn L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 12:55 PM   #76

Quote:
The 3M Coating does not discolour at all, nor does it stain.
Good to know. I can't tell you what brand to avoid, since I don't know which one was used on my motorhome.
Old 11-08-2015, 01:44 PM   #77

Trailer: 2014 Escape 17B
Quote:
The 3M Coating does not discolour at all, nor does it stain. I have had in on a few vehicles now. I just pulled it off the Pilot a few weeks ago, after over 7 years of being in place, and it did show a few scuffs on in, but no discolouration at all, but sun or by bugs.

On both front fender corners it had suffered some bad abrasion with resulting small dents in the panel, but when I removed the 3M, I was blown away by how good it looked underneath. There was no harm to the paint at all, and you had to see the wee dents in the right light to tell they were there.

Seeing it will likely cost less than $100 to do, and can fairly easily be removed and replaced if needed, I think this is the way I will go. One of the shops here in town said it would be real easy to do with a smooth moulded trailer body.
Jim I disagree my 2013 Pilot (recently sold) had the full front and mirrors 3 M protected from new. Like Brian I had a fair number of yellow stains where bugs had hit and this was the residual stain left after they were removed when completing a trip. I tried all kinds of methods including a fine cutting paste even methanol without success. My legacy to the new owners of the Pilot.
2019 KC the Beagle
David H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 01:55 PM   #78

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by David H View Post
Jim I disagree my 2013 Pilot (recently sold) had the full front and mirrors 3 M protected from new. Like Brian I had a fair number of yellow stains where bugs had hit and this was the residual stain left after they were removed when completing a trip. I tried all kinds of methods including a fine cutting paste even methanol without success. My legacy to the new owners of the Pilot.
Hi: David H... Good old Baking Soda on a wet/soaked sponge works on my new "Mosquito catchers". As a mater of fact it works on the front chrome bumpers and grille too. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 02:03 PM   #79

Maybe Calgary bugs are so staining, 'cause I never had an issue.

I left it on the mirrors, just checked, and other than one scuff, they look like new.
Old 11-08-2015, 07:47 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Good old Baking Soda on a wet/soaked sponge works on my new "Mosquito catchers". As a mater of fact it works on the front chrome bumpers and grille too.
In this case, I think that the baking soda is just acting a mild abrasive. That's good for hard surfaces, but doesn't help on a soft film.