Generator again - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2009, 08:32 PM   #1

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Generator again

Well I should have got one a couple months ago. Honda has raised their prices. The 1000 was $899 and now is $1099. Similar increase for the 2000. And, I'm still pondering. I don't really want to spend another $400 for the 2000, unless I can see the benefit.

I realize the 1000 is only capable of charging the battery, but that might be enough. In the event of a Jan. power failure, like we had three years ago, I figure we could move into the trailer, and keep the battery up and place lighted and warm with a 1000. I can't see the 2000 providing enough power to make the house more comfortable than the trailer. Last time we all moved into the bedroom and burned logs in the fireplace. I'm not sure that the 2000 could power the 1,500 watt heater we have, and in any event we'd still be confined to one room.

Am I missing something I should be considering?

baglo
Old 04-17-2009, 10:12 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Re: Generator again

Glenn, if you have a gas furnace, the 2000 would run the fans, plus have enough for a few lights.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:14 PM   #3

I do have a gas furnace, but I can't find the plug to connect to a generator.....

So, as you can see, I have no clue.

baglo
Old 04-17-2009, 11:27 PM   #4

You should have an electrician, or somebody who knows house wiring real good (I do, but am nowhere near you) have a look at things. You need to use a transfer switch to hook to your panel, so you can choose either the grid, or your gen set. You could also rewire your furnace to plug into an outlet instead of going straight to the furnace switch. You could then plug that right into a gen set and maybe even have enough to run your fridge too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-17-2009, 11:50 PM   #5

Thank you, thank you.

I see the latest Canadian Tire flier has a 950 watt portable generator for $125.99. The 2700 watt is $349.99. They also have a bunch of solar panels on sale.
If a Honda 1,000 watt costs $1099, what is the Canadian Tire generator made of? Play-dough?
How many do you have to return before you find one that starts?

I seem to spend more time returning crap to Canadian Tire than I do shopping there.

baglo
Old 04-18-2009, 12:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo
I seem to spend more time returning crap to Canadian Tire than I do shopping there.
It took me a few times to figure that out too.

Most cheap generators are noisy, and don't perform as well as better ones. There is also likely no servicing available for them either. Once the short warranty is over, you are left out in the cold should something go wrong with them.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:21 PM   #7

Trailer: 2010 19 ft.

Having had a Honda 1000 for about 7 or 8 years now, particularly for RV use, I would recommend the 2000 watt genny. That is of course if you do not want to run the AC unit. The 1000 is a good little unit, but I found it would run close to high idle if the trailer was using the converter, thus being a tad noisier. I'm sure the 2000 would be just idling. It all depends on what you want to use it for.
As for no name models, I myself wouldn't bother with them. For sure they will be noiser and may not have as smooth an AC sine wave which may or may not be compatible with some electronics.
rharel is offline   Reply With Quote