Getting into bed 5.0TA - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2019, 06:50 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 Sprinter
Getting into bed 5.0TA

Hello all.

So today Alf (escape artist) was gracious enough to show us his 2014 5.0. Very nice and came away quite impressed.

However my wife had one comment and that was getting into bed. How hard do people find it climbing up the stairs and into the end of the bed? I’m assuming you’d get used to it but I thought we’d ask.
gowyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 06:55 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Those steps always bothered me, particularly in the middle of the night, I'd have to install some chair/grab rails for security.
Old 08-17-2019, 07:07 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Crawling into bed from the foot is no problem at all.

For those trips in the night, I usually descend in a seated position, and that works well too.
gmchamplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 07:14 PM   #4

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH" First 5.0 TA registered in South Carolina
No problem but I'm only 74

Addendum: Just ask my wife (also 74 and had a break in her back about six years ago)
Her response when ask if she had a problem getting into or out of the bed in the trailer: "
Why would I have a problem"
Old 08-17-2019, 07:33 PM   #5

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Most folks add grab rails of some sort to aid the assent and decent. One of my very first mods after getting our 5.0 in April was installing teak hand rails on either side. You can see them in the attached photo.

My wife and I have no issues going up and down. (We are both 66) In fact we find it easier in the middle of the night than the crawl over maneuvers we used to have to manage in our prior trailer, a 19' Escape. In the 5.0, we often can get up in the middle of the night without waking the other.
Attached Thumbnails
Gc1fTIHIRy6egKmLOQiOeg.jpg  
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 07:40 PM   #6

Trailer: 21' Escape in production 12/05/19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gowyn View Post
Hello all.

So today Alf (escape artist) was gracious enough to show us his 2014 5.0. Very nice and came away quite impressed.

However my wife had one comment and that was getting into bed. How hard do people find it climbing up the stairs and into the end of the bed? I’m assuming you’d get used to it but I thought we’d ask.

Exactly why I like the 21' Escape. Larger kitchen and bathroom too! We finally made it to Canada and climbed in and out of all the models. I was certain that my daughter would prefer the 5.0 but we found her asleep in the 21' Escape and that was that.
Gori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 07:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
Most folks add grab rails of some sort to aid the assent and decent. One of my very first mods after getting our 5.0 in April was installing teak hand rails on either side. You can see them in the attached photo.

My wife and I have no issues going up and down. (We are both 66) In fact we find it easier in the middle of the night than the crawl over maneuvers we used to have to manage in our prior trailer, a 19' Escape. In the 5.0, we often can get up in the middle of the night without waking the other.
Thing in the upper right corner of the picture, is that your Weboost transmitter?
Old 08-17-2019, 08:13 PM   #8

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
We have no problems, yet, but I can see why some folks might. I've had more then 1 person find it a sufficient reason to pass on the model. Did she try climbing up into Alf's? I usually encourage folks to do so.
Old 08-17-2019, 08:21 PM   #9

Trailer: 21' Escape in production 12/05/19
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
We have no problems, yet, but I can see why some folks might. I've had more then 1 person find it a sufficient reason to pass on the model. Did she try climbing up into Alf's? I usually encourage folks to do so.

My daugher is only 17 yo and very athletic, but she just chose the 21'. I had secretly already chosen it too. We usually agree on things, but she's a very sharp cookie and I take her with me on big decisions. She always points things out that I missed and we almost always agree on the path forward in the end. She did most of the 20 hour (one way) drive so she slept while I made choices for a build sheet. Still looking for a sink but plan to order soon.

Gori
Gori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 08:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gori View Post

My daugher is only 17 yo and very athletic, but she just chose the 21'. I had secretly already chosen it too. We usually agree on things, but she's a very sharp cookie and I take her with me on big decisions. She always points things out that I missed and we almost always agree on the path forward in the end. She did most of the 20 hour (one way) drive so she slept while I made choices for a build sheet. Still looking for a sink but plan to order soon.

Gori
I'm happy with the 5.0 but even before I did the final build sheet I was thinking about the 21. I think the 21 would be more convenient hitching and unhitching plus the space advantages you mentioned. Good Choice
but The 5.0 looks way cooler
Old 08-17-2019, 08:58 PM   #11

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnfrombigt View Post
I'm happy with the 5.0 but even before I did the final build sheet I was thinking about the 21. I think the 21 would be more convenient hitching and unhitching plus the space advantages you mentioned. Good Choice
but The 5.0 looks way cooler
I disagree Jim, just came home from MB rally - 82 trailers including one 15 foot Escape, it's up for sale, look for ad coming shortly I find it easy to drop and hook up. I put legs down, undo power cord drop tailgate, release hitch and same movement lets go the breakaway brake cable, pull away. Hooking up nearly as easy. No worry about chains, getting lined up over the ball, attaching weight distribution chains, etc. I do agree with you though that the 5.0 looks way cooler. I had tons of positive comments at the trailer tour this afternoon.

As far as the climb in and out of bed in the 5.0, we have no issues with that at all. In a 21 sure you could stand up to get out of bed unlike a 5.0 but would you, one must still scoot off the end.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 09:47 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by gowyn View Post
Hello all.

Hi: gowyn... It sure was a pleasure meeting you both. If you'd like to try the entry/exit to the bed area just call. Neither of us have ever had a fall though.
I do have 2 problems. One is too much black coffee, and the other is too much light beer. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 09:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
I disagree Jim, just came home from MB rally - 82 trailers including one 15 foot Escape, it's up for sale, look for ad coming shortly I find it easy to drop and hook up. I put legs down, undo power cord drop tailgate, release hitch and same movement lets go the breakaway brake cable, pull away. Hooking up nearly as easy. No worry about chains, getting lined up over the ball, attaching weight distribution chains, etc. I do agree with you though that the 5.0 looks way cooler. I had tons of positive comments at the trailer tour this afternoon.

As far as the climb in and out of bed in the 5.0, we have no issues with that at all. In a 21 sure you could stand up to get out of bed unlike a 5.0 but would you, one must still scoot off the end.
Adrian I know all that. I was just trying to be nice. You know I can't say to those nice folks "boy you sure screwed up" now can I?
Old 08-18-2019, 01:19 AM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
We too climb up headfirst, and climb down starting on our butts. Super easy and we find no need yet for a hand grip, but we are young, in our early 60s. Our 11 year old dog does it easily too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 09:06 AM   #15

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Like others, we climb in head first. Terry goes down on her butt, but I stand on the 2nd step and walk down (I'm 5' 9" and shrinking). We reinforced the bathroom wall and have a teak handrail angled at 30 degrees to grab if needed. I always grab the stripper pole at the entry for my last step.

We didn't like the smaller, double bed and the fact you're sleeping up against the wall in the 21' giving you a much smaller sleeping area. With the 5.0 we have a foot on each side of the queen bed to let our arms and legs throw themselves into (and store clothes), plus overhead cabinets on both sides to store additional clothes.

Once we realized how much more usable storage there was in the 5.0, with a much larger sleeping area, vs the 21, the choice was easy for us. Plus the total rig length is 4' shorter than the 21, and no WDH/sway control to deal with. We do lose about 1-2 cubic foot in the bed for the hitch, but that's more than offset by the extra, convenient, storage in the 5.0. The kitchen is longer on the sink side in the 21, but the 5.0 has an extra cabinet on the opposite side.

However, despite what was said above, it's about what makes YOU happy. The first Escape we toured was a 21 in Olympic National Park. Both of us were immediately sold on Escape. We were on the first (and last) trip with our 1995 Lance, and the Lance was up for sale on Craigslist before we even got home. Since our purchase late last October, we have 155 nights on the road in our 5.0 and love it.

Enjoy,

Perry