Getting there... - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2014, 11:15 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Getting there...

is not actually half the fun...

The wife and I just completed the outward portion of a rather long haul... We're based in Ottawa. She has a conference in Victoria. We pulled 4500km in 7 days.

From Ottawa we drove across Ontario to Sault Ste. Marie, then crossed into Michegan. Across northern Michegan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota, and then back up into Canada to visit some friends in Regina. Then through Medicine Hat and down the Crowsnest, through Cranbrook, Osoyoos, Hope and into Vancouver.

I loved the Crowsnest, but it was definitely a challenging highway. I grew up driving in the mountains, but lack experience pulling a trailer through them. It did surprise me how much the trailer slows you down on these roads. Even if your top speed matches the speed limit, all the slowing down for hills and curves, and not speeding up quickly, really cuts into your average.

I definitely want to get back to the Michegan upper peninsula when we've got more time. Looks like a lovely area.

And there's nothing in northern Minnesota worth taking a picture...

Another thing that surprised me was the effect of wind on fuel economy. Travelling 90 kph through Michegan, we got around 16l/100km. Speed up to freeway speeds and the fuel economy drops, of course. But heading west out of Regina we were into a head wind, and even doing 90kph we were seeing 21l/100km in a typical stretch. Even across the Crowsnest we say 18l/100km. Wind is evil...

Anyway, a few thoughts on the long drive... Can't say it was relaxing, but it was kinda fun.

But *now* is when the real vacation starts. I get to play lazy tourist in Victoria and relax while she attends her conference.... Then we take a relatively slow trip back, through the Canadian Rockies, Montana, a brief visit to Yellowstone, and more...
Attached Thumbnails
_MG_6706.jpg  

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:21 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Made a memory! And, no matter the dollar cost... it's now in your memory bank forever. Relax... enjoy! You may never pass this way again.

Safe travels, always.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:52 PM   #3

On the dollar note, we figured taking the south-of-superior route saved us about $120 between cheaper US gas and cheaper US campgrounds...

I like the north-of-superior route too, but if you're just getting from A to B, $120 is worth figuring into your equation.

Old 06-26-2014, 06:44 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey View Post
On the dollar note, we figured taking the south-of-superior route saved us about $120 between cheaper US gas and cheaper US campgrounds...

I like the north-of-superior route too, but if you're just getting from A to B, $120 is worth figuring into your equation.
Hi: dbailey... Your trip out& back sounds like ours. We took I75 to Mackinac then south of Superior route #2 thru Mich./ Wisc./ Minn./ N.Dak and I29 into MB Canada. Dropped trailer at her new home and jambed every thing into the truck for the Trans Canada Highway trip to BC.
Two nites in MB. with friends, one in Regina with family, one in Calgary with friends, then over the hills to Chilliwack BC. to pickup our new 2014 5.0TA. WOW!!!
O'er nite in Manning Pk. boondocking, then Osoyoos for 4 nites at NK'Mip CG. for the Escape Rally, then on to Waterton Lakes National Pk.
Back into the US. at a border crossing in the middle of nowhere, and on to Yellowstone National Pk. The stormy weather chased us along I94 back east and took #10 & 210 to Duluth/Superior and back #2 & I75. WHEW!!! 10,500 kms total...What A trip. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1030713.jpg   P1030655.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:45 AM   #5

Trailer: Wannabe
Love Victoria - honestly one of my most favorite places I've visited! Enjoy your trip and travel safely!
MTWaggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 12:12 PM   #6

Quote:
And there's nothing in northern Minnesota worth taking a picture...
I am offended.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:56 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
John, hush. Let folks keep believing that. It keeps out the riff-raff :-)
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 01:11 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
John,
It seems Doug was just traveling through MN for cheaper fuel and campgrounds just to get to his final destination and missed the beauty of the journey. We enjoyed our recent visit to northern Minnesota and took lots of pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Minnesota2014 009.jpg   Minnesota 2014 014.jpg   Minnesota 2014 002.jpg  
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 03:10 PM   #9

Thanks David! I am sure Doug was just kidding.
Old 06-26-2014, 05:21 PM   #10

Indeed... I have been through the southern part of Minnesota before (at a much more relaxed pace) and quite enjoyed it. But highway 2 through Wisconsin, Minnesota and North Dakota is not the most stimulating road on the planet.

As I said at the beginning, getting there is *not* half the fun... It's where you stop that counts.

Old 06-26-2014, 06:00 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrn56 View Post
I am offended.
What about a picture of the worlds largest mosquito?

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 09:15 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
Here's the biggest one I seen while in "Mosquitosodo". The rain and warmth really brought them out for blood.
Attached Thumbnails
Minnesota2014 001.jpg  
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 09:42 AM   #13

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Indeed... I have been through the southern part of Minnesota before (at a much more relaxed pace) and quite enjoyed it. But highway 2 through Wisconsin, Minnesota and North Dakota is not the most stimulating road on the planet.

As I said at the beginning, getting there is *not* half the fun... It's where you stop that counts.
Doug, must agree with you there, we just did that drive (trailer less) this week, I had forgotten about the straight stretch of road near Grand Rapids MN which goes on forever with just trees around, without any of the lakes that the state is known for. But we did it as well to save time and gas. It was interesting to see that as we came east gas was pricier, from 3.54 in ND up to one place I saw in MI for 3.99. Still much better than here in Burlington ON at 1.42/l. Ouch! In MB we are only at 1.30.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 11:51 AM   #14

Trailer: TC
Quote:

But *now* is when the real vacation starts. I get to play lazy tourist in Victoria and relax while she attends her conference.... Then we take a relatively slow trip back, through the Canadian Rockies, Montana, a brief visit to Yellowstone, and more...

Curious to know. Have ya decided on your return route through Montana and Yellowstone?
Basecamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 12:09 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basecamp View Post
Curious to know. Have ya decided on your return route through Montana and Yellowstone?
Suggest you use a smaller font. I can still read it.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 04:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveandsandyclink View Post
Here's the biggest one I seen while in "Mosquitosodo". The rain and warmth really brought them out for blood.
I think that same mosquito bit me last night in my backyard. We are heading to the Whitewater State Park in southeastern MN next week. The park is in the bluff lands and it is known for not having Mosquitos due to little or no standing water.
Old 06-28-2014, 10:53 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basecamp View Post
We have... We're spending a couple of nights in south-west Montana, entering Yellowstone from the west to spend a couple of nights at Madison campground, then heading east via the Beartooth highway. I suspect it will be an "interesting" drive...

But that's still a few weeks away.

Old 06-28-2014, 11:18 PM   #18

Trailer: former owner-2014 5.0 TA #4 TV-Ram 1500 Eco Diesel
Beartooth Higway

We traveled to Yellowstone via the Beartooth Highway and we can attest to the idea that is an 'interesting' drive. Take your time and stop at available viewing sites. The views are amazing.
rscovell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 12:05 AM   #19

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Did you have the 5.0 TA when you drove the Beartooth?
Old 06-29-2014, 06:11 AM   #20

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I think I read that trailer towing on Beartooth is not a good idea, particularly for larger units and/or inexperienced driver/towing.