Glacier N.P. Advice - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Old 02-18-2015, 04:59 PM   #31
Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B, 2016 Tacoma Off Road
My RAV4 pulled my 17B over it each way with no problems. Parts of US 89 between US 2 & St Mary are "interesting", but doable. There are a couple of alternatives - taking Starr School House road from Browning bypasses some of it, and those with long RVs often choose to go to MT 464, then south on US 89 into St Mary. For those that don't like rough (but paved) mountain roads, DON'T take MT 49, which looks like a shortcut between East Glacier & US 89. Nice views, but a "very interesting" road (I did pull the 17 over it, but many frost heaves & hairpin turns on steep grades). The section of it that goes to Two medicine campground form the south isn't too bad, but if you are coming from St Mary, I recommend taking US 89 all the way to East Glacier.

Jon Vermilye My Travel Blog
Travel and Photo Web Page ... My Collection of RV Blogs 2016 Tacoma 2011 17B
Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 05:07 PM   #32
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 'Houdini 2'
Thank you so much for all your responses. We will give it a try. It looks much too wonderful to miss!
Grant and Kathy - when you hike the trails, what do you do with Molly?

Jenny and Ian
Eddys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 05:34 PM   #33
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Originally Posted by Eddys View Post
Grant and Kathy - when you hike the trails, what do you do with Molly?
When we last went to Glacier we had Raider, our Golden Retriever before Molly. He was our dog before we became fulltime RVers. When we were both working on rainy days we would leave him in the house until we got home. He never had any problems with being left inside all day.

When we were fulltiming and wanted to go hiking we left Raider in the 5th wheel. He would spend his day "guarding" our bed. As long as we gave him a good walk before or after our hike and left him water, Raider was fine. Depending on the weather we would leave either our Fantastic Fans on or the A/C. In general we tried to be back within about 6 hours and certainly no later than 8 hours.

A side note: In all of our travels we never found a US National Park that allowed dogs on the trails and we also never found a Canadian National Park that did not allow dogs on the trails.

“The journey not the arrival matters.” – T. S. Eliot
Grant & Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 06:28 PM   #34
Trailer: 17b
Yes, proving once again how much more reasonable Canada is if you have dogs. The parks here are becoming so restrictive you can hardly sneeze w/o breaking some kind of rule. Don't get me wrong, they're a treasure and should be preserved, but there are rules that seem overbearing, JIMO.

On a more positive note, here's something you should watch if you love nature and awesome photography, it's really amazing and has some nice shots in Glacier - Timeless, A National Park Odyssey:

Escape While You Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:53 AM   #35
Trailer: 21' Escape (June 2014)
Originally Posted by Eddys View Post
Ian and I are picking up 'Houdini 2' and going to the rally in Osoyoos. We would like to go to Glacier after that, but wonder if any of you think the the very beginning of June is too early? Any advice will be much appreciated.
Thanks, Jenny
That's what we did, (after a four-night stop at Banff, that is). When we got to St. Mary we couldn't even drive Going To The Sun as far as the St. Mary Lake, but I think it was due to construction more than the snow. It was cold, with highs in the 40s and 50s, and it rained almost every day, so it really wasn't a great time for us. In our three days there we had one decent afternoon without rain when we visited Many Glacier - other than that it was almost a total bust; we spent most of our time huddled up in our camper reading books while waiting for the cold rain to stop. On the other hand, Lake Louise, Moraine Lake, and the Ice Field Parkway in Banff were delightful!

Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote