Glenn's split RETIREMENT - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2015, 08:04 PM   #51

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Canadians: I recall reading that your government-funded health insurance is based upon your province, and that you have to be able to prove that you reside in your home province for at least six months out of the year in order to qualify for coverage. Is that correct?

Old 02-19-2015, 08:10 PM   #52

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
My wife and I have employer paid health benefits and have decided to purchase additional coverage for our 5 days in California. While our employer paid plan covers the basics, it does not cover repatriation in the event one of us needed to be transported back to our home under medical care via plane, etc. While highly unlikely will need it, something like this could be very expensive. I think perhaps on both sides of the border most private and public health plans do not cover repatriation without additional fees.

gharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:26 PM   #53

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Sounds as if the Canadian health system is the same as Medicare when out of country, namely, neither pays anything, so you have to have a supplement or a private policy. I was wondering if Canada was different.

That is worse for Canadians because Americans have private insurance to 65 (and often after) and it usually covers out of country medical as some have mentioned with theirs. So I guess Canadians are aware that they have to get a special policy for travel at any age. I wonder how many leave and do not realize that. Americans, on the other hand, may leave the country after age 65 and not realize that Medicare does not cover them, especially if they just go over the border to Mexico or Canada.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:29 PM   #54

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Aren't I full of cheer?
No worries, I don't think anyone is accusing you of that.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:29 PM   #55

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by gharper View Post
My wife and I have employer paid health benefits and have decided to purchase additional coverage for our 5 days in California. While our employer paid plan covers the basics, it does not cover repatriation in the event one of us needed to be transported back to our home under medical care via plane, etc. While highly unlikely will need it, something like this could be very expensive. I think perhaps on both sides of the border most private and public health plans do not cover repatriation without additional fees.
And what you mention is why Americans who travel often get travel insurance especially when going overseas. Probably many do not get it for land border crossings but they can be out just the same.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:32 PM   #56

Trailer: 2006 Escape 17B
but for those of us in the frozen north,

Really North Van the frozen north that is hilarious
alan in alberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 12:43 AM   #57

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
...That is worse for Canadians because Americans have private insurance to 65 (and often after) and it usually covers out of country medical as some have mentioned with theirs.
Very many Canadians have private insurance as well to cover things not covered by government plans (such as prescription drugs, dental care... and out-of-country coverage). Because it is usually through our employers, we tend to lose coverage in retirement... although some retirement benefits include medical coverage (at least in-country).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 12:57 AM   #58

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Half of my basic medical is covered by my former employer ( because it is a benefit won by the union I belonged to ). So, I pay $720 a year and the company the same.
When I retired, I lost the company extended health and dental plan and I pay that myself - $290 a month.
So, medical isn't free up here, but at least we don't pay $300 for a Zip-lock baggie with a couple BandAids and some ointment ( the charge a co-worker was billed in Arizona when he went to a clinic for an ingrown toenail ). He was reimbursed by extended health.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:27 AM   #59

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
I just had surgery on two fingers that had "trigger finger" (essentially carpal tunnel of the finger) It is outpatient and very minor, a small cut is made, the band encasing the tendon is snipped and it's sewn back up. The surgery itself last about 10-15 minutes. The hospital bill before insurance discount was $16,000. Luckily I have insurance that paid most of that ridiculous bill.

SAE Towing Standard "Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:46 AM   #60

Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21
You do have to watch ambulance rides in the US as well. I've had two of them, the first a helicopter between Nantucket Island & Boston (around 80 miles) - $13,634.00. The second was a standard ambulance from Buckskin Mountain State Park to Parker AZ, (13.4 miles) - $1640.73. I'm awfully glad my insurance covered most of each.