Glenn's split RETIREMENT - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2015, 04:45 PM   #101

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
No hay problema Jim. Usted aprenderá español. El problema va a ser tu piel de fusión.
Maybe Jim tans easily...

Cheers
Doug
Old 02-24-2015, 04:57 PM   #102

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
No hay problema Jim. Usted aprenderá español. El problema va a ser tu piel de fusión.
Esto es muy cierto.

Google es mi amigo .
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 08:46 PM   #103

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Well, this thread got me into my yoga space -- I think the idea that physical fitness is the new job after retirement is a good point -- I've been telling my friends and family for awhile that it's a full time job to take care of my growing older body. Terry just lost a bunch of weight -- he periodically goes on 2 week fasts -- and he's noticing a difference in stamina -- I told him I want him to keep it off!!! One big reason I wanted a trailer was so we could eat our own healthy food no matter where we would be.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 07:43 AM   #104

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
One big reason I wanted a trailer was so we could eat our own healthy food no matter where we would be.
That is exactly why I skipped the microwave(read- processed food) and went for the oven, to help one to eat healthier.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:18 AM   #105
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I eat as well on the road as I do at home, so I understand your needs/wants Ruthe. I got the microwave because I'm always plugged in (past and in near future). There's a gazillion ways to cook in a microwave that don't have anything to do with processed foods. But, I understand there are those that don't care to own one. As a single traveler, it's easier for me to prepare a healthy, tasty hot meal in a microwave than it is to fire up (and clean) a grill, DO or the like.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:59 AM   #106

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I eat as well on the road as I do at home, so I understand your needs/wants Ruthe. I got the microwave because I'm always plugged in (past and in near future). There's a gazillion ways to cook in a microwave that don't have anything to do with processed foods. But, I understand there are those that don't care to own one. As a single traveler, it's easier for me to prepare a healthy, tasty hot meal in a microwave than it is to fire up (and clean) a grill, DO or the like.
I also found that we were able to eat as healthy cooking in the Escape as we do at home. We do have the microwave and found that it is great for cooking a baked potato or sweet potato or even reheating leftovers if we have hookups. Also, we omitted the stove hood, but cook with a set of waterless cookware, so don't find "steam" or "splatter" from the stove to be a problem. Yes, we LOVE our ESCAPE that was built just the way that we wanted it!
Old 02-25-2015, 09:09 AM   #107

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I've found I eat better "on the road" than at home - less snacking, and no microwave meals since I don't have one in the trailer.

As to exercise, it is the other way around. At home I religiously do a 2 mile walk or jog (depending on the depth of the snow) every morning, and a 1/2 hour of lap swimming 5 days a week. The swimming is rare while traveling, and I while I do quite a bit of hiking while on the road, I suspect it doesn't add up to 14 miles per week.

I agree with Ruth - getting exercise & eating right is important for the retired. I lost 20 lbs over the first couple of years of retirement.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:17 AM   #108

While we do eat healthy for the most part at home, I find we eat even healthier when camping. I think it has to do with the more limited space for food storage, so we plan meals better, and bring along less junk.

Another thing we strive for, which is the total opposite of home, is to have no leftovers. That way we don't have to store them, and find a way to reheat. We mostly cook simple meals, sometimes using no pots, just the grill. All the grill gets is a quick brushing before each use, easy peasy. Only once a year does it get a deep clean, and that is done at home.

At home we do use a microwave, mostly for heating leftovers, but the odd time for cooking veggies. Not that I would be totally against one in the trailer, for us it is a matter of way better use of the space it takes up for storage, and the big kicker is that we could only use it less than 10% of the time when we are hooked to the grid.

For every trailer out there, there is another yet another camping style.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-25-2015, 02:05 PM   #109

Trailer: 21' Escape (June 2014)
We use camping trips as an excuse to get away from our healthy diets. We will often have steak, hamburgers, maybe hot dogs or sausage, and bacon and eggs for breakfast - all things that we never, or very rarely have at home. Oh, and we will have our "adult" beverages almost every evening while camping, something that we reserve for Friday or Saturday night while at home.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 02:31 PM   #110

No wonder you want to get away...........
Old 02-25-2015, 04:39 PM   #111

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
yes its vacation for me wine, gin and tonics, and it seems everything tastes better when camping!I cook on the stove, micro wave grill etc... love to experiment when camp cooking
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 05:07 PM   #112

Yeah, the food we eat is generally a bit healthier, but we certainly do imbibe in more alcoholic beverages when camping. Maybe a drink or two a day if just the two of us, but we camp a lot with others, and the liquids do flow when sitting around the campfire. You do have to wet your whistle to keep it in fine shape for singing along after all.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:13 PM   #113
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
You have to wet your whistle to keep it in fine shape for singing along after all.
The wetter my whistle the better I sing, Jim -- at least according to me. Others' opinion sometimes varies.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:38 PM   #114

Robert, that is the same spirit we all live by around the campfire, and have a ton of fun doing it. It is not how well you sing, it is all about how much fun you have doing it.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:08 PM   #115

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
We got the exterior propane and quick connect and will have a small grill, which we never did before our Escape days. You can debate if steak and hamburgers are healthy or not, but we only use lean beef, and then there's chicken and turkey sausage, and salmon. Sounds like our home diet.
bdornbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 06:26 PM   #116

Salmon and chicken breasts are likely the two most common things on our grill. We do eat some good sausages, but tend to do them on the fire as they splatter a lot, and this makes for easy clean up. While the sausages are on the grill, we often throw some potatoes, corn, or veggie packs on the coals. Yummmmm.....
Old 02-25-2015, 06:32 PM   #117

During deer season back here people make deer sausage, anyone ever try those. Myself
I prefer the Johnsonville brand. Turn with tongs vs fork to avoid piercing the skin and splatter.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:59 PM   #118
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
During deer season back here people make deer sausage, anyone ever try those. Myself
I prefer the Johnsonville brand. Turn with tongs vs fork to avoid piercing the skin and splatter.
Deer sausage is yummy. Every hunting season here you can find it at the more rural butcher shops -- or you can get a grinder, some casings, a recipe, and most importantly, a deer - and make your own.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:26 AM   #119

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Hi: cpaharley2008... In Florida all sausage is deer!!! A lot of other things are too!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
FMB Florida for now
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote