Glenn's split RETIREMENT - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2015, 11:08 PM   #1
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Glenn's split RETIREMENT

Anybody that get's an earlier ETI build... SCORES! Make memories!!!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 11:10 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Most annoying thing I hear is, "what you doing on the weekend"?
Not doing anything, cause all you working stiffs are plugging up the roadways.

Before I took the buyout and retired a year and a half early, I calculated how much I would lose in holiday pay and stats. But then, the company countered with, "if you keep working, you'll be working for nothing" ( because the buyout is reduced ).

Still, it took me over a year to stop counting sheets of TP and to realize that I could easily live on savings and pensions.
Now, it's more a question of how our health will hold up. You can have great plans to spend all your time golfing and fishing and camping when you retire, but that won't happen if you are dragging oxygen behind you.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:31 PM   #3

Just to get further off topic ( where do I split it? ), heard this on the radio the other day. "of all the people who have ever lived past the age of 65, half of them are still alive today".
Old 02-18-2015, 11:32 PM   #4
Site Team

My 90 y/o mother has told my a BUNCH of times... don't DELAY PLEASURE.

Grocery shopping at the Dollar Store is starting to look better and better vs. the BIG delay and fewer memories. YMMV
Old 02-18-2015, 11:37 PM   #5

Thanks Donna. I was going to take care of it, but my motto is to have something to do every day, so that you have something to postpone.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:40 AM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
"of all the people who have ever lived past the age of 65, half of them are still alive today".
Fascinating stat, although I'm not sure if it says more about ballooning human population or about increasing lifespans.

A family friend wrote a book about retirement planning, and had an interesting related point...
Average lifespan may be to age seventy-something, so people planning to retire at 65 may think they only need about 10 years of funding; however, that average includes lots of people who don't make it 65 years. Of those who do live to 65, they have an average of about twenty more years after that... and the last few years are likely to be expensive due to the need for a living facility with some type of assistance.

Touring around in an Escape, not doing anything lavish, just might be the best way to stretch the dollars and to enjoy the time.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 01:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Touring around in an Escape, not doing anything lavish, just might be the best way to stretch the dollars and to enjoy the time.
Great in theory, but for those of us in the frozen north, the cost of medical insurance to head south in the winter is prohibitive. My dad was looking at $1,400 for two weeks coverage for a trip to Hawaii.
Another relative has a winter home in Palm Springs that they can't afford to visit.
Don't get me wrong, but when you are 50 years old and wearing rose coloured glasses, you should probably take them off once in a while.
Given all that, I have no desire to go back to work.
Old 02-19-2015, 01:39 AM   #8

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Canadians cannot be reimbursed for medical care if out of the country? Even emergency treatment? You would have to have private insurance for that?
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 07:27 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Just to get further off topic ( where do I split it? ), heard this on the radio the other day. "of all the people who have ever lived past the age of 65, half of them are still alive today".
Normally I'm a "glass half full" person (as in more beer, please) but this comment makes me think the opposite, there is a 50% mortality rate after 65?? That seems high. When I retired close to 10 years ago, my goal was to be retired longer than the time worked!! Simple. Both my parents did it, my Mom is 94 and still alive.
That said, When I did retire the mortality table which run insurance and pension calculations seem to indicate my like span was 20 years after retirement. I hope they are incorrect.

Perhaps the comment was saying that when you retire is more important as the longer you work, the shorter your life span becomes. Each year past age 65 that one works, the lifespan decreases twice as fast. Thus at 65 it's 20 years, at 70 it's 10 years. Then there are those who do not make it to retirement, those are the sad cases as there is no pension left for anyone.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:13 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Correct me if I am wrong but Canadians, as those in the US who are on Medicare, need to purchase health insurance when outside of their respective countries. Yes, Medicare only covers health issues while in the US and perhaps territories such as Puerto Rico and American Samoa. US citizens on Medicare need to purchase coverage for foreign travel.

There seems to be two differences for Canadians, they need to purchase the coverage whatever their age and the costs appear quite different. For example, I added a rider to my Medicare Supplement coverage that will insure me in foreign countries and it cost $1.50 each per month.

Can anyone amplify what their experiences have been. How about US citizens who are not on Medicare, do most health policies cover foreign travel?
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:34 AM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Retirement..... Yes, please!

Something I keep talking about, and hopefully will be in a position to take advantage of......real soon. Many years ago, I had planned retiring at 55 but seemed to have missed that by a few years, but now I think 60 is more realistic.

I could retire now, and probably have more than enough to survive, with money left over to have to spend on having fun (within reason). I would just like to be able to give the kids and grandkids a bit of a boost too.

Another key factor is longevity, and what physical state I am in as time goes on. Right now, I am very healthy for my young age (57), and just told last week by a doctor that my heart is working like a fit 20 year old. I do work physically part of the time, go for lots of long walks, ride my bike a lot, and during the winter have been going to a spin class, followed by a yoga class at least 3 times a week. Health to me is a huge concern as I age, seeing so many who seem to stop caring about health once they retire. Many seem to take remedial action to physical conditions, rather than be proactive and work at trying to prevent them. Sure, many do get hit with physical crap that they could do nothing to thwart, and that is always terrible.

I am hoping I can keep biking and paddling well into my 70's, and even beyond.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 09:10 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
How about US citizens who are not on Medicare, do most health policies cover foreign travel?
My company-provided health coverages does. But then again, we're an international company with lots of business travelers.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:38 AM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: All... If I wasn't retired I wouldn't be down in the sunny south shivering...watching those in the east digging down 3 ft. to the roof of their car!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
FMB Florida for now
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 09:41 AM   #14

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21RB
My wife and I purchased extra private health insurance for our 5 day trip to California which includes all costs related to an emergency medical event and repatriation back to BC. We are in our early 50"s and it cost $42.
gharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 09:51 AM   #15

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
When I retired almost 18 months ago at 61, a friend gave me a book to read he said would help make the transition easy and beneficial. It's title is "Younger Next Year" (YNY). The premise is simple: all your life you got up and went to work; now you don't. YNY proposes that you take on a new job with the same level of dedication you gave your previous occupation. Namely, your new job is to work at keeping your body sufficiently fit to enjoy your retirement. Since I stopped working, I've been going to the gym five days a week for about 90 minutes doing a combination of strength training and aerobic exercise. I've added yoga times a week and am probably healthier than I was at 21 (when I was smoking a pack a day). Google it. I'm more active today than I've ever been; who would have ever thought fitness would be a life changer?
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 09:59 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
I'm more active today than I've ever been; who would have ever thought fitness would be a life changer?
Good for you.
This is an attitude that many more need to take, in my opinion. The benefits are too many to list, like enjoying life more feeling healthy, not hurting as much, able to do more things, less costly in the long run, and on, and on.

It is a false misconception, that it is easier to not do these things. In the long haul, it is much easier, and way more rewarding, to keep yourself in good physical and mental health. It is never to late in life to start taking better care of yourself.

I am able to maintain my metal youthfulness through my immaturity, I just have to work at the physical thing more.

BTW, I looked for the book, real easy to find, and there are two editions, for men and for women.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-19-2015, 10:05 AM   #17

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Good for you. This is an attitude that many more need to take, in my opinion. The benefits are too many to list, life enjoying like more feeling healthy, not hurting as much, able to do more things, less costly in the long run, and on, and on.

It is a false misconception, that it is easier to not do these things. In the long haul, it is much easier, and way more rewarding. It is never to late in life to start taking better care of yourself.
Hmmm.... Time for a poutine endorsement (or not) for keeping that healthy life style??
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 10:09 AM   #18

This is a video I saw a while back, and something worthy of consideration. The guy has a great attitude.

https://www.growingbolder.com/never-...ground-793777/

He makes a great point about falls with aging people. Just last night, I drove up to visit my mother in the hospital. She fell on Sunday and broke her pelvis. She is only 80, and very mentally with it, but really could use more physical activity. She said she will focus more on exercise once she heals better.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:14 AM   #19

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
Hmmm.... Time for a poutine endorsement (or not) for keeping that healthy life style??
I also live by the credo, "everything in moderation; including moderation." My wife says I'm part of the "fat fit" generation.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 10:18 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
We can't totally give up all the pleasures of life.