Global Entry - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2017, 10:12 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 17B - Sept 2017
Global Entry

Anyone use global entry when returning to the states with your new trailer? What was the process - how did it go?
parfsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 10:38 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfsten View Post
Anyone use global entry when returning to the states with your new trailer? What was the process - how did it go?
It is my understanding (from a friend who uses Global Entry all the time) that you simply present the card, and they just waive you through. No questions (or minimal questions) asked

Having said that.... if you are picking up that day..... you yourself are just driving across at Chilliwack.... the ETI employee is the one towing your trailer across, as they have to do all the paperwork and importing to USA. (they do it twice a day on most days)

When we came across on pickup day, into the States, the border guy just wanted to know where we had been, and once he heard "Escape Trailer" he looked really bored, (as they see them crossing twice a day) asked about citrus fruit (none) and raw nuts (none) and waived us on.

does this help?

John
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 10:52 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17B - Sept 2017
This is really helpful John. So, ETI actually drives the trailer over the border? I was planning on spending a couple nights at a local Canadian campground before heading home for a quick shakedown so if there were any issues I would be close to ETI. Wonder how that works crossing back into the states - ETI still drives it over? Glad I am thinking this stuff through now...
Patricia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
It is my understanding (from a friend who uses Global Entry all the time) that you simply present the card, and they just waive you through. No questions (or minimal questions) asked

Having said that.... if you are picking up that day..... you yourself are just driving across at Chilliwack.... the ETI employee is the one towing your trailer across, as they have to do all the paperwork and importing to USA. (they do it twice a day on most days)

When we came across on pickup day, into the States, the border guy just wanted to know where we had been, and once he heard "Escape Trailer" he looked really bored, (as they see them crossing twice a day) asked about citrus fruit (none) and raw nuts (none) and waived us on.

does this help?

John
parfsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 11:05 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
This is really helpful John. So, ETI actually drives the trailer over the border? I was planning on spending a couple nights at a local Canadian campground before heading home for a quick shakedown so if there were any issues I would be close to ETI. Wonder how that works crossing back into the states - ETI still drives it over? Glad I am thinking this stuff through now...
Patricia

Yes. ETI *has* to drive your escape over the border. to not pay Canadian taxes.

It is very common for people to spend a night or two ir three at KOA in Lynden, WA.

20 min drive from border.

Nice.

the advantage is that if you have a problem, you call ETI, and then you just drive back to ETI, or perhaps they come to you, as they are crossing the border twice a day, and Lynden is so close...

We stayed at Lynden KOA and it was perfect... even in the winter when it is sort of 1/2 open, it was still great.

Plus pickup day is a big day, and even as 2nd trailer owners, there is soooo much info to absorb.... we just wanted to go to a nearby (USA) site and setup and relax. Did not want to have to cross back into Canada, at least that day.

Yes, a 1 or 2 day nearby "test out" is highly recommended.

oh and dont miss the bakery in Lynden. Insanely good handmade treats. Holy cow.

john
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 11:12 AM   #5

Trailer: 2016 - Escape 19 (2nd Gen), 2021 F150 Powerboost
Quote:
I think that the Global Entry program just puts you into a faster lane when entering the States. It might save you an hour of border wait time but you would probably still get hung up at the border because you're pulling a glossy new Escape. It would only work if the card was shiny enough to blind the border agent That's why ETI does the exporting for Americans. If you want to see Canada (and who wouldn't ) you can pick up your trailer just south of the border and then freely head north assuming that you have the right ID.

I don't think that Canada accepts Global Entry: you need a passport or Nexus. You can enter the US from anywhere in the world with the card but you can't necessarily exit.
davescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 11:42 AM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Global entry is primarily for expediting going through customs when returning to the US by air. I use Global entry frequently as a business traveler when I return to the US. Global entry includes TSA Pre-check, so it's a good deal if you fly internationally more than occasionally. It's really not going to make a difference crossing back into the US at Sumas.

If you travel frequently between Canada and the US by vehicle, then a NEXUS pass makes sense. Otherwise, don't worry about it.

In any case, you won't re-enter the US with your trailer on delivery day anyway, as others have mentioned.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 04-29-2017, 10:08 PM   #7

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Global entry is primarily for expediting going through customs when returning to the US by air. I use Global entry frequently as a business traveler when I return to the US.

Global Entry's real purpose is to get you through "immigration". It's about you. The immigration agent decides, "Should I let this person into the country?"

Customs is about your stuff; the customs agent decides, "Should I let these things into the country. If so, should I levy a duty?". Any help Global Entry provides with customs is incidental.

When entering the country in a vehicle, immigration and customs is performed by the same agent.

At an airport, usually they're handled separately. First you talk to the agent in immigration (or use a kiosk if you have Global Entry). Next you get your checked bags and go through customs - different line, different agent.
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 10:14 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Yeah, I use the terms interchangeably but they are in fact separate. Thanks for the clarification.

It does speed up my re-entry to the US quite a bit. The lines at immigration are usually quite long, and with Global Entry you just hit the kiosk, print your receipt, and show it as you exit.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk