GMC Canyon Diesel? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2019, 08:10 AM   #1

Trailer: 21' Escape in production 12/05/19
GMC Canyon Diesel?

Anyone towing with a GMC Canyon Diesel?

If so... which Escape are you towing and how is it going?
Gori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:34 AM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Works well with my 2015 Escape 19. 27 mpg w/o the trailer, 16 or so with it. No issues towing at altitude.

My 2009 Tacoma struggled a bit towing the 19 at altitude, my 2017 diesel Canyon can maintain the speed limit without trying very hard. I live at 8600', every time we take the trailer out, it requires crossing a pass at 11-12,000'.
sturski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 11:32 AM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
I tow our 2018 19' with its twin, a 2017 Chevy Colorado. It tows the 19 beautifully, and the length of the truck relative to the length of the trailer seems to be ideal in terms of backing efficiency and lack of any sway, even with strong cross winds. I do have ETI's weight distributing hitch, but no additional sway control. In addition to remarkable fuel efficiency (30+ mpg not towing, 16 - 20 towing), I think the best thing about these trucks is the exhaust brake, which works extremely well if you tow over mountain passes and up and down steep grades. I live in central Idaho, and there isn't much flat country where I go. I think this truck can pull anything Escape makes, and there are several on this forum who tow a 21 and 5.0 TA with one. With the 5.0 TA, you would have to watch your payload, but other than that I think it would work great. I have a Leer canopy on mine, and the combination of the 19' trailer with storage in the bed of the pickup is the ideal combination for us. I haven't weighed the trailer but am estimating it's around 4,200 lbs fully loaded for travel.
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 12:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturski View Post
Works well with my 2015 Escape 19. 27 mpg w/o the trailer, 16 or so with it. No issues towing at altitude.

My 2009 Tacoma struggled a bit towing the 19 at altitude, my 2017 diesel Canyon can maintain the speed limit without trying very hard. I live at 8600', every time we take the trailer out, it requires crossing a pass at 11-12,000'.
Thank you thank you. Is this with a 2WD or 4WD. Do the diesels come in 2WD?
Old 06-19-2019, 12:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmo7000 View Post
I tow our 2018 19' with its twin, a 2017 Chevy Colorado. It tows the 19 beautifully, and the length of the truck relative to the length of the trailer seems to be ideal in terms of backing efficiency and lack of any sway, even with strong cross winds. I do have ETI's weight distributing hitch, but no additional sway control. In addition to remarkable fuel efficiency (30+ mpg not towing, 16 - 20 towing), I think the best thing about these trucks is the exhaust brake, which works extremely well if you tow over mountain passes and up and down steep grades. I live in central Idaho, and there isn't much flat country where I go. I think this truck can pull anything Escape makes, and there are several on this forum who tow a 21 and 5.0 TA with one. With the 5.0 TA, you would have to watch your payload, but other than that I think it would work great. I have a Leer canopy on mine, and the combination of the 19' trailer with storage in the bed of the pickup is the ideal combination for us. I haven't weighed the trailer but am estimating it's around 4,200 lbs fully loaded for travel.
Very helpful, thank you. Is this with a 2WD or 4WD. Do the diesels come in 2WD? We're looking to order a 21' Escape.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:04 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gori View Post
Very helpful, thank you. Is this with a 2WD or 4WD. Do the diesels come in 2WD? We're looking to order a 21' Escape.
Hi: Gori... Sorry I'm not towing with a GMC Canyon diesel. I would have been but I stumbled on a 2016 Ram Laramie Longhorn EcoDiesel w/ 35,000 miles on the clock. It's a 4X4 crew cab 5'7" shortbox 3 Ltr. V6 w/ tow pkg. Pulls like a trouper and rides like a Cowboy Caddy. Fuel is more expensive as are oil changes but I get up to 25mpg's Imperial while towing around S.W. Ont. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1040904.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 01:20 PM   #7

Trailer: 5.0 TA 2017 Taj MaSmall
recent diesel purchase

2019 Canyon SLT, short bed, 2WD, diesel towing 2017 5.0TA with Andersen Ultimate hitch.
The previous 2015, 6 speed, gas, SLT had the HP but couldn't go against even a slight headwind or grade without dropping down 2 or 3 gears at highway speed (60-70). This diesel has none of that problem because of the far better torque converter in the same trans and +100 ft# torque.
I ordered it from the factory bc after searching on various sites for 9 months and going out 500 miles I couldn't find anything but 4WD (no snow or off roading use here) or Denalis which have a silly price.
On order, I was given factory invoice minus whatever incentives GM was offering at time of delivery. ~ 2 months later I picked it up for $3000 off invoice= $38400 + TTL. Bose, Nav, tow pckg, etc. The initial + cost of a diesel SLT vs gas I expect will be fully offset at it's resale. It has an integrated electric brake controller and exhaust brake. Both work wonderfully.
On regular towing the TA with the gas I could get up to 16 mpg; with the diesel I get 21+ and no downshifting all the time. The price/gal difference mid grade gas (towing) vs diesel is fully offset by the fuel economy.
GVWR is 6000# and 1600# payload so there's room for on board people and parcels.
Happy camping
Bobnjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 01:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Gori... Sorry I'm not towing with a GMC Canyon diesel. I would have been but I stumbled on a 2016 Ram Laramie Longhorn EcoDiesel w/ 35,000 miles on the clock. It's a 4X4 crew cab 5'7" shortbox 3 Ltr. V6 w/ tow pkg. Pulls like a trouper and rides like a Cowboy Caddy. Fuel is more expensive as are oil changes but I get up to 25mpg's Imperial while towing around S.W. Ont. Alf
Were you considering the 4WD then, not the 2WD? Nice looking rig you scored btw.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobnjudy View Post
2019 Canyon SLT, short bed, 2WD, diesel towing 2017 5.0TA with Andersen Ultimate hitch.
The previous 2015, 6 speed, gas, SLT had the HP but couldn't go against even a slight headwind or grade without dropping down 2 or 3 gears at highway speed (60-70). This diesel has none of that problem because of the far better torque converter in the same trans and +100 ft# torque.
I ordered it from the factory bc after searching on various sites for 9 months and going out 500 miles I couldn't find anything but 4WD (no snow or off roading use here) or Denalis which have a silly price.
On order, I was given factory invoice minus whatever incentives GM was offering at time of delivery. ~ 2 months later I picked it up for $3000 off invoice= $38400 + TTL. Bose, Nav, tow pckg, etc. The initial + cost of a diesel SLT vs gas I expect will be fully offset at it's resale. It has an integrated electric brake controller and exhaust brake. Both work wonderfully.
On regular towing the TA with the gas I gould get up to 16 mpg; with the diesel I get 21+ and no downshifting all the time. The price/gal difference mid grade gas (towing) vs diesel is fully offset by the fuel economy.
GVWR is 6000# and 1600# payload so there's room for on board people and parcels.
Happy camping
Nice to know they are out there. I was thinking about a 2018, used. Still not sure about 2WD vs 4WD. I don't do snow, but perhaps BLM parking.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Were you considering the 4WD then, not the 2WD? Nice looking rig you scored btw.
Hi: Gori... Thanks...Yes!!! A 4X4 is much easier to find on a lot. My previous tug was an end of year 2010 Nissan Fronty 4X4 4Ltr. V6 gas crew cab. When I traded it had 110,000 miles on it and I got over $10,000 for it. A GMC Canyon would have cost me a lot more than the Ram. The diff. in mileage is about 1 mpg between 2 wh. and 4X4. This spring I had to use 4 low to pull out of our campsite. Alf
Attached Thumbnails
20190525_100045.jpg  
Old 06-19-2019, 01:51 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
We have been towing a 21 with our 2016 2WD diesel Canyon for 2 years now. Had to order the 2WD since they only had 4WD on the lot. Very impressive performance. Excellent mileage as mentioned by others. 17-20 MPG towing. Even hit 30 MPG once with a good tailwind. Not towing I get 30 MPG on the highway. Built in Tow/Haul mode really saves on brake wear going downhill. We now have over 50,000 miles on the truck with no problems at all.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 01:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen99 View Post
We have been towing a 21 with our 2016 2WD diesel Canyon for 2 years now. Had to order the 2WD since they only had 4WD on the lot. Very impressive performance. Excellent mileage as mentioned by others. 17-20 MPG towing. Even hit 30 MPG once with a good tailwind. Not towing I get 30 MPG on the highway. Built in Tow/Haul mode really saves on brake wear going downhill. We now have over 50,000 miles on the truck with no problems at all.
Wow! That sounds attractive. I must admit I'm not a truck fan, and I know very little about them.. but I'm trying to learn. I already miss my Prius 3 (and I still have it)!
Old 06-19-2019, 02:04 PM   #13

Trailer: 5.0 TA 2017 Taj MaSmall
The '19 is the same as the '18 and the main thing the Infotainment system/phone has been upgraded and I do see a big difference with the '19 system's features. The older systems were sometimes quirky with reception and many posts on the forums regarding that as well as the gas 8 speed trans.
I favored the 2WD Positrac because it's my daily driver and pushing around the unused 225# and a few less MPGs for many years didn't seem cost effective. If I lived 500 mi N I'd have ordered the 4.
Bobnjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 02:58 PM   #14

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
When I traded it had 110,000 miles on it and I got over $10,000 for it. Alf

Were those Imperial miles Alf?
Old 06-19-2019, 03:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Were those Imperial miles Alf?
Hi: gbaglo... The truck only calculates mpg's in US or Metric... but I get better numbers in Imperial gals. Besides the truck favours its own computer!!! Alf
Old 06-19-2019, 04:27 PM   #16

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Hi: gbaglo... The truck only calculates mpg's in US or Metric... but I get better numbers in Imperial gals. Besides the truck favours its own computer!!! Alf
Alf I think you missed Glenn's tongue in cheek asking you whether all those miles on the truck were Imperial miles. I can understand why you prefer using Imperial gallons for calculating your mileage though, looks better than US. By the way where do you buy your Imperial gallons and how much per gallon in Southern ON

Now back to discussion of the Canyon diesel. I don't think I'll buy one. As much as I'd originally thought it would be nice to have a smaller truck we really do enjoy our F-150. We get great mileage with the 2.7, I won't post figures as it gets confusing l/100km, mpUSgal, mpImpgal. and don't have to worry about expensive oil changes, special fluid, and the higher cost of diesel in the US where we mostly fill up.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 04:38 PM   #17

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Diesel Canyon/Colorado owners generally seem to be happy. The gas V6 has substantially more power, and now comes with an 8-speed transmission (versus the 6-speed still provided with the diesel), but some drivers are unwilling to let the gas engine turn at high enough speed to get that power; for them, the turbocharged engine (the diesel) is certainly a more effective choice. The diesel almost certainly gets better fuel economy.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 05:28 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Quote:
Thank you thank you. Is this with a 2WD or 4WD. Do the diesels come in 2WD?
Mine is 4wd, I believe they come in 2wd.

I'd add that the integrated brake controller is very nice. Much nicer than the add-on units.
sturski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 05:59 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
Alf I think you missed Glenn's tongue in cheek asking you whether all those miles on the truck were Imperial miles. I can understand why you prefer using Imperial gallons for calculating your mileage though, looks better than US. By the way where do you buy your Imperial gallons and how much per gallon in Southern ON

Now back to discussion of the Canyon diesel. I don't think I'll buy one. As much as I'd originally thought it would be nice to have a smaller truck we really do enjoy our F-150. We get great mileage with the 2.7, I won't post figures as it gets confusing l/100km, mpUSgal, mpImpgal. and don't have to worry about expensive oil changes, special fluid, and the higher cost of diesel in the US where we mostly fill up.
Hi: emers382... No miss here. Since Km's are .621 of a mile I'm gonna take my trips in Km's from now on. Locally, Mobil diesel is $1.129/ Ltr. X4.54= Imperial Gal. All this math has given me a headache so I'm going to lay down. I never thought having a diesel would be so complicated!!! Alf
Old 06-20-2019, 09:10 AM   #20

Quote:
Hi: Gori... Thanks...Yes!!! A 4X4 is much easier to find on a lot. My previous tug was an end of year 2010 Nissan Fronty 4X4 4Ltr. V6 gas crew cab. When I traded it had 110,000 miles on it and I got over $10,000 for it. A GMC Canyon would have cost me a lot more than the Ram. The diff. in mileage is about 1 mpg between 2 wh. and 4X4. This spring I had to use 4 low to pull out of our campsite. Alf
A tad bit "damp" was it? : )