Good Reads ... - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2020, 10:28 AM   #81

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
For more modern stories set in that area, you might like Nevada Barr's The Rope, set in Glen Canyon National Recreation Area. She writes mysteries, 19 of them set in National Parks. Also not to be missed is the Edward Abbey classic The Monkey Wrench Gang.
Old 11-11-2020, 10:33 AM   #82

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
For those that enjoy C. J. Box's Wyoming game warden Joe Pickett books, check out Paul Doiron's series featuring Maine Game Warden Mike Bowditch.

While it took an eye operation that prevented me from reading for two months to try them, I have to admit I now enjoy books on tape (well, my library's Overdrive downloads). The Doiron series on tape are pretty good.
Old 11-11-2020, 10:41 AM   #83

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Though he wrote mainly of the badlands, Montana etc, Wallace Stegner was an excellent writer from Lake Mills Iowa. If coming through Iowa, don’t forget about the home town of John Wayne, Winterset, Iowa.
Don’t pass up the trilogy by Ivan Doug about life in Montana starting with Dancing at the Rascal Fair.

My Dad was a voracious reader and read the little paperback westerns and traded them by the box full. He had about 25 books that he would not trade away but instead read them every year. I’ve kept his favorites for over 50 years. He passed away in 1967. A few of his favorites are pictured below. I had to look a while to find a woman as fine as Sarah from Comanche Vengeance but I found her and she’s been my wife for over 50 years now.

When I took American Literature in High School you were supposed bring the current book to class each day. One day my book was missing and the teacher asked me where it was. I had to admit I must have left it at home. When I was looking for it that night, I spotted it in with dads other couple books he was reading. He said h picked it up and since it was pretty good he started to read it and forgot to put it back with my stuff. The next day I had it with me and told my teacher what had happened. She seemed pleased that an adult was enjoying one of her selections. That started him on reading each of our selections including Stegner’s Big Rock Candy Mountain, Travels with Charlie (Steinbeck) The winter of our Discontent and several others

My son in law is from Zanesville Ohio, where “Zane” Grey was from and derived his name.
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
CE1D9A2F-B71C-46A7-8A80-6DAA786FDBB0.jpg   3218F32E-12CF-4810-96C5-97E640145FB9.jpeg  
Old 11-11-2020, 11:00 AM   #84

Trailer: 2010 Prolite Mini
Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
My Dad was a voracious reader and read the little paperback westerns and traded them by the box full. He had about 25 books that he would not trade away but instead read them every year.
Thanks to everyone for the great reading suggestions. In these huddle-at-home times, I'll certainly be checking these out.

Like Iowa Dave's dad, my dad was an avid reader and also had an annual on-repeat collection. And I have about the same annual on-repeat for his Nevil Shute library. A lot more politically incorrect than Zane Grey's surprise, but wonderful yarns (Trustee From The Toolroom, A Town Like Alice, Pastoral, Pied Piper, and many others). I have a few others in that list like Shogun, Dune, The Firm, The Philadelphian, Ellis Peters, but Nevil is my go-to comfort author.
Old 11-11-2020, 12:13 PM   #85

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Just finished Countdown 1945: The Extraordinary Story of the Atomic Bomb and the 116 Days That Changed the World by Chris Wallace and Mitch Weiss.
Just finished James Hornfischer's The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors. It is about the last great sea battle ever fought between the Japanese and Americans off the island of Samar along the same time MacArthur was wading ashore on the Philippine island of Leyte. To give an idea of how overmatched the American fleet of 13 ships was against the Japanese force under the command of Admiral Kurita, the battleship Yamato alone weighed more than all 13 American ships (of group Taffy 3). Taffy 3 was responsible for protecting MacArthur's northern flank . Each of Yamato's 3 main gun turrets weighed more than an entire Fletcher-class destroyer. A must read.
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 12:26 PM   #86

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
Now that the "Big Dark" has decended in Alaska ..... Im in search of a good read. You know the kind of book you really don't want to end.

Got any good ideas?

I'd like a book about RV adventure .... not one about fixing and repairs ..... Can't seem to find one there.

Well OK .... what is the best read you have ever had? Wow .... now that is a hard question!

Thanks,
Tom
This was a good read.
Attached Thumbnails
21326BA0-6AD4-4082-BC8F-0526E2122070.jpg  
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 05:25 PM   #87

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Agreed.