Good Reads ... - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2016, 05:52 AM   #1

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Good Reads ...

Now that the "Big Dark" has decended in Alaska ..... Im in search of a good read. You know the kind of book you really don't want to end.

Got any good ideas?

I'd like a book about RV adventure .... not one about fixing and repairs ..... Can't seem to find one there.

Well OK .... what is the best read you have ever had? Wow .... now that is a hard question!

Thanks,
Tom
Old 10-22-2016, 06:10 AM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Nothing to do with RV's but I really enjoyed "The Maine Woods" by Thoreau. How those guys could lug a boat through Maine's tangled pines is absolutely amazing to me. I read it just before canoeing the Allagash.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:39 AM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Since you asked for the best read we've had Tom, and not just travel or RV related, here goes.

I'm a huge Sci-fi fan, and my favorite series in that genre are the Dune books. Trouble is I tear through them pretty quickly and have to move on to something else.
Old 10-22-2016, 12:38 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I've read Great Heart two or three times and enjoyed it every time.

From Amazon

In 1903, a young writer/adventurer named Leonidas Hubbard accepted an outdoor magazine's commission to explore the interior of Labrador by canoe and write about the experience. He would not live to complete the assignment. James Davidson and John Rugge's mixture of biography and detective story--with plenty of outdoor adventure added in the bargain--tells why.
Hubbard was, on paper, an ideal candidate to explore the rugged headwaters of the George River, "the last blank spot on the map of North America." His companions, fellow explorer Dillon Wallace and Scots-Cree guide George Elson, were equally capable. Hubbard, Wallace came to believe, was in fact too well trained. Overly confident of his abilities, he led his companions into boggy, bone-chilling territory that exhausted them and their supplies; as they travelled, he made small miscalculations and errors in judgment that accumulated to disastrous effect. Sick and weakened, Hubbard starved to death while his companions sought to retrace their path. Stranger, perhaps, is the tale's denouement: Wallace returned two years later, while Hubbard's widow, Mina, led a simultaneous expedition of her own, racing to reach Ungava Bay over fearfully difficult terrain.
In retracing the steps of the Hubbards, Wallace, and Elson, modern outdoorsmen Davidson and Rugge offer a cautionary tale for all would-be explorers--and a fine addition to the library of the Far North. --Gregory McNamee

Great Heart: The History of a Labrador Adventure (Kodansha Globe) Paperback – 1609

5.0 out of 5 stars 9 customer reviews
Old 10-22-2016, 01:17 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
While they don't make my best book list, you did say RV Adventure - check out Sue Henry's Maxine series about RVing & Alaska.

As to SiFi favorites, I agree with Robert on the Dune series, I also enjoyed Larry Niven's Ringworld & the derivatives.

My favorite travel books include John Steinbecks's Travels With Charlie, William Least Heat-Moon's Blue Highways, and Robert Pirsig's Zen & the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.
Old 10-22-2016, 01:27 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
"Zen...." one of my favorites, where I learned about gumption traps.
Old 10-22-2016, 02:22 PM   #7

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
Nothing recent - and ditto Jon's travel books. Among my most memorable re-reads: Abbey's 'Desert Solitaire', Bach's 'Jonathan Livingston Seagull' and 'Illusions', Duncan's 'The River Why'
soultrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 03:37 PM   #8

I have a review copy of Dan White's Under the Stars the the publisher sent me. While I enjoyed the book, it is really a backpackers story - he makes fun of RVs in the only chapter that covers them, so I never reviewed it on my site. Still, a good read for those interested in trail camping...
Old 10-22-2016, 03:50 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Anything by Gregory Clark Wonderful short stories giving us insight into another era. He worked for Toronto Star, Hemingway worked there for awhile and cited him as the best writer on staff. He was a humourist writing weekly for the paper and his short stories were gathered into books. A sweeter, more innocent time. Amazingly, he was an officer in WW1 Leading men into brutal combat his writing wasn't dark. I find his books used in used book stores

He often wrote about camping in Ontario in 1920s

https://www.amazon.ca/Greg-Clark-Jim.../dp/0002166070

Born in Toronto in 1892, Greg Clark was a Canadian war veteran who became known for his work as a journalist and humourist.

Both before and after World War I, Clark worked for the Toronto Star. After the war, he soon became a leading correspondent and reporter. While working at the Toronto Star, Clark befriended and mentored a young Ernest Hemingway, who said that Clark was the best writer on the paper. In later life Hemingway called Clark one of the finest modern short story writers in the English language.

During World War II, Clark continued to work as a war correspondent for the Toronto Star. For his service, he received the OBE (Order of The British Empire). He would also receive The Order Of Canada.

At the end of World War II, Clark went to work for the Toronto Telegram. Some of Clark's best-known work was from weekly columns that Jimmie Frise would illustrate. Unfortunately most of his work is now out of print.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Clark_(journalist)
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 04:08 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Timothy Egan's The Big Burn: Teddy Roosevelt and The Fire That Saved America is a great read and provides insight as to how our National Parks & National Forests were created.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 04:29 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
For those SIFi fans, try Alastair Reynolds, Welsh author. All his titles are good reads, e.g. Absolution Gap, Chasm City, Pushing Ice, etc.
Old 10-22-2016, 04:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
For those SIFi fans, try Alastair Reynolds, Welsh author. All his titles are good reads, e.g. Absolution Gap, Chasm City, Pushing Ice, etc.
Agree - just finished Poseidon's Wake. I also recommend just about anything by Terry Pratchett. Thud, Going Postal, Making Money & Snuff are few favorites.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:54 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
SiFi
CJ Cherryh's Foreigner series
David Weber's military SF
Sharon White & Steve Miller
There are over 30 books altogether in those series.
Alt. History
1632 series

Nothing deep there, but entertaining for me.
Old 10-23-2016, 11:51 AM   #14

Trailer: 2016 - Escape 19 (2nd Gen), 2021 F150 Powerboost
While I generally prefer fiction, I'm going to go with "Endurance, Shackleton's Incredible Voyage" by Lansing. A gripping true story of boondocking taken to the extreme---and it meshes nicely with Alaska in winter.
davescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 12:28 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Two of my favorites, "The Klondike Fever: The Life and the Death of the Last Great Gold Rush", by Pierre Berton. By far the best and most entertaining history of the Yukon Gold Rush.

And a little known jewel, "New York to Nome", by Rick Steber and Shell Taylor. One of the longest canoe journeys in history, paddled up the Hudson River to Nome, Alaska via the Northwest passage. Scott

Scott and Lori
I like bikes!
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 03:26 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Too many good reads to list. Authors I enjoy, James Patterson, Lee Child, David Baldacci, Michael Connelly.
The best tip I can give is if you are a kindle owner and are not checking out digital ebooks from the library you're missing the greatest tool for RV/Camping and just life in general. Books check themselves back in and no late fines ever. I consume three to six books a month from our library and haven't seen the inside of it in over two years.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 03:29 PM   #17

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Unless I'm traveling I read too slow for the library. Forums take up too much of my free time.
Old 10-23-2016, 03:29 PM   #18
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Too many good reads to list. Authors I enjoy, James Patterson, Lee Child, David Baldacci, Michael Connelly.
The best tip I can give is if you are a kindle owner and are not checking out digital ebooks from the library you're missing the greatest tool for RV/Camping and just life in general. Books check themselves back in and no late fines ever. I consume three to six books a month from our library and haven't seen the inside of it in over two years.
I have a 2nd generation Kindle (paper look, non backlit) and I still use it all the time. Totally agree about the convenience of E-books. Amazon also has a ton of them for free if you're a Prime member.
Old 10-23-2016, 03:51 PM   #19

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
I subscribe to BookBub (https://www.bookbub.com/home/) and get a daily e-mail from them with suggestions for limited-time free and/or cheap books within my preferred genre--crime fiction--from Amazon and Google Play. Coupled with e-books from my local library, which is part of the Washington Anytime Library system, I don't think I've spent a dime on books in three years. And they're always at the ready when boondocking.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 06:31 AM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Goodreads Deals sends out email notifications of ebooks on sale, like Bookbub. There is some duplication but not much.

In Florida one has to get an out-of-area library card from a big library in order to get a good selection of ebooks. Currently I have a card from the Orange County Public Library (Orlando) but it's pricey at $125 per year. I saw that Houston's public library has a $40 card for ebook users, but I haven't tried it yet. I think non-Texans can use it. Many state library systems (e.g. Washington) are for state residents only.

I have a Kobo ereader which I like, but just as often I use the Kobo app on my cellphone to read in bed.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote