Goofs - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2013, 07:41 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Goofs

It seems we could use a list of goofs, especially ones that seem to cause the most trouble. No matter how much some of us read, others do not. Here are a few common mistakes. Feel free to add others and/or explain your situation regarding any. I am not going into big explanations about these. They.are worth noting by anyone as even long-term RVers have goofed them up.

1. We turn the electric water heater to "off" on the exterior when there is no water, the water is getting low or we are in storage. Turned on only after verifying that the hot water tank is full.

2. We have very long lists, interior and exterior, regarding everything that needs to be done before taking off with the Escape. We use them. There are lists around but you need your own with items particular to you.

3. When about to travel, bath vent needs to be closed so it is not torn off.

4. Awning needs to be in "closed" position. That position needs to be noted when using it as one cannot tell by looking up there without having tried it. There are straps to hold it that can be purchased. Insurance companies hear about awnings more than anything --- torn up, torn out, gone from blowing away --- which is why awnings are usually not covered.

5. We do not turn on the water pump if hooked to city water. That can damage the pump.

6. We have a lock through the coupler latch for traveling. There are numerous instances of trailers disconnecting from tow vehicles. Part of our exterior list contains many items to check on the hitching.

7. Turn off water pump switch and also hot water heater propane switch if using propane.

8. When travelling and having been stopped, we always check the hitch and the trailer up and down for departing.

9. Dump station check. We cover the exterior list but then at the dump, have to recheck door locked, valves closed, slinky container cap on and more.

float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:57 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape
7. Turn off water pump switch and also hot water heater propane switch if using propane.
Please explain why.
Thank you, Jubal

Old 04-01-2013, 10:48 AM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
My goof was turning on the stove to bleed the lines to operate the refrigerator and leaving one burner on. I returned minutes later to put food in the refer and the propane alarm was going off. Boy was I lucky!!!!
Old 04-01-2013, 11:36 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Forgetting to pull the toilet flush handle while draining the water lines.

Forgetting to remove the X-chocks before pulling away.

Pretty darn sure that neither of these will reoccur again. Lesson learned.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:04 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Jim,

What alerted you that you hadn't drained the toilet line? I ask, because I'm not sure I did. Don't think it got cold enough to matter this winter, but what burst in your case?

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Jim,

What alerted you that you hadn't drained the toilet line? I ask, because I'm not sure I did. Don't think it got cold enough to matter this winter, but what burst in your case?
After filling with water and turning on the pump, I had a stream of water coming from behind the toilet into the drain. The plastic flush valve had cracked. A few bucks, and a couple hours, and all was good. The guy where I bought the new valve from said they sell a few dozen every spring.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-01-2013, 02:07 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
oops,
I may have overlooked that in mine. what were the parts that you had to replace.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:13 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
I occurs to me that if I hook up the city water ( or run the pump ) and open the flush valve, and, if pink water comes out, that I actually did winterize properly.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
oops,
I may have overlooked that in mine. what were the parts that you had to replace.
Just a flush valve.

I had trouble turning the water line connector off of it because of lack of room behind the toilet for my fat mitts or pliers, so got advice from Reace to just cut the waterline behind the toilet under the dinette seat to remove the toilet, then just splice it back together after.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:57 PM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
Please explain why.
Thank you, Jubal
I have found that leaving the pump on when driving can result in water being pumped out where it shouldn't be if a faucet handle gets bumped by shifting RV (this has happened to me in a motorhome, not a trailer) contents.

If you don't intend to leave the water heater running while driving (you can, but this is controversial), then you might goof by leaving it on. That would use up extra propane, and you might then fail to have it turned off at gas stations where the flame must be off for safety.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote