GoPro Hitch Camera - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2019, 08:42 AM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH" First 5.0 TA registered in South Carolina
GoPro Hitch Camera

I have a conflict between my tonneau and the 5.0 hitch. The tonneau is going to have to be folded up against the rear truck window. The BAKflip tonneau is designed to do this. This will block my view when attempting to hitch the trailer. Not good. For a solution I'm going to need another backup camera. Cost more money. Again, Not good. I decided to get a camera that tied in with my cell phone. After I ordered the camera I remembered that my GoPro camera ties in with my cell phone so I immediately canceled the backup camera order. I think this will work not only for a fifth wheel but if you have a camera that ties in with a cell phone it would also be useful as a temporary backup camera when hitching to a travel trailer or fifth wheel.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0396a.jpg  
Old 05-08-2019, 09:59 AM   #2

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21'
Neat idea! I found those license-plate mount cameras on eBay for as little as $14. I mounted it on the back of the Casita. Someone else gave me another license plate camera for free. The RCA cable and power wires cost more than the camera! I had an 8" video monitor (again, free) that was from a headrest DVD player set that a friend had (they just wanted the DVD player and monitor, and didn't want the second monitor).

It worked pretty well, although you have to have a place to mount the monitor.

The backflip is nice, but the blocked view did concern me as well. We decided to go with the Roll-n-Lock retractable. One model comes with mounting rails for Thule or Yakima racks, so we can put the bicycles above the cover. Works pretty well, too. Kind of pricey, though.

What model GoPro has a phone interface (I presume wireless?). I have an older model. Just wondering.
Robert Platt Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 11:00 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 5.0TA "The HAB"
I have a backup cam/screen with my truck, but of course when the bed is down while I’m backing up to the 5th wheel hitch, it’s useless. I always wonder if I could add a second one to my toolbox and put a switch to toggle between the two when in reverse!? Hmmm...
Tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 11:21 AM   #4

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH" First 5.0 TA registered in South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Platt Bell View Post
Neat idea! I found those license-plate mount cameras on eBay for as little as $14. I mounted it on the back of the Casita. Someone else gave me another license plate camera for free. The RCA cable and power wires cost more than the camera! I had an 8" video monitor (again, free) that was from a headrest DVD player set that a friend had (they just wanted the DVD player and monitor, and didn't want the second monitor).

It worked pretty well, although you have to have a place to mount the monitor.

The backflip is nice, but the blocked view did concern me as well. We decided to go with the Roll-n-Lock retractable. One model comes with mounting rails for Thule or Yakima racks, so we can put the bicycles above the cover. Works pretty well, too. Kind of pricey, though.

What model GoPro has a phone interface (I presume wireless?). I have an older model. Just wondering.
I have the 7 Black. WIFI connection. In the picture I have the camera mounted on a suction mount. I've since applied one of the little stick on mounts they supplied with the camera.

When I ordered my BAKflip they were having a two day special that if you purchased the tonneau from any source you received from BAKflip the fold up tool box free. I think they charge around $280 for that thing so I immediately got on the internet and hunted a tonneau down. I found one about $100 below the prevailing price. Submitted the receipt to BAKflip and about six weeks later the tool box showed up.
Because of the limited truck bed space and the additional items I will need to carry this initial pick up trip, I'll have to remove the tool box but it will go back in as soon as I return to SC. I read your experience with the Georgia DMV. This morning I got my plates. Like you, the DMV experience depends on who is behind the desk. Wound up having to deal with the office supervisor but everything worked out to everyone's satisfaction. I first had to go pay the county their money, $604; then the state, $525. Main thing, I came home with a set of plates.

If you're traveling the route across I90 through South Dakota and Montana, I lived in Montana along that route for 15 years and have done it dozens of times and can offer my observations and some decent stops. Have a great trip jn