Head of bed placement in 19' - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2015, 12:01 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Head of bed placement in 19'

We are looking at placement of the head of the bed in our 19'. Any thoughts on driver's side v. passenger side. We will not be ordering any tv, so that is not a consideration. Is there any noise from the refrigerator on the driver's side? Cooking issues on the passenger side? We will place a counter extension and 12 volt adaptor at the FOOT of the bed (either by stove or refrigerator, depending).

thanks

Bob-o
Bend, Or
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 12:09 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
We chose to have our heads on the stove side. Only because my wife likes the right side at home and this allows me to be on the outside and get out of bed easier in the morning. I am usually up first and also make a trip to the bathroom during the night. I haven't really noticed any issues with this arrangement although you do have a some lights to look at from the fridge. I want to put a counter extension at the foot of the bed too but I waited until I knew our layout worked for us.

John
Old 10-21-2015, 12:12 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
It's hard to break a habit.
If, in bed at home, you throw your right arm over your partner, you will lay awake half the night, if, in the trailer, you have to hug with your left.
Old 10-21-2015, 12:25 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
More threads on the same topic.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...head-1802.html
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...d-at-2573.html

If you sleep with your head away from the door, all will be fine, as the natural flow of life will be in your favour. If you sleep with your head towards a door, well...... the best of luck to you.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 12:30 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Glenn, reminds me of the old Seinfeld episode " can't go left, gotta go right. We are set up the same as John for the same reasons. My CPAP outlet 12v is up high above my head, that's the only 12v thing we use in the trailer typically. I can go to sleep usually within a couple of minutes, light does not bother me, some people call it passing out.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 12:34 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
We traded sides in the 19 all the time. The first one in generally took the back. We are ambihugstrous (can hug from either side). Will have to see how it goes with the 5.0.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 01:39 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
M
If you sleep with your head away from the door, all will be fine, as the natural flow of life will be in your favour.
Ah, thanks for that, I feel so much better. Don't know what made that side our preference. Maybe the fact that I knew I'd be adding a countertop extension or maybe thinking about slight odors from the kitchen. Who knows, it wasn't a biggie for us but in retrospect, looking at the blue light from the fridge would be annoying for me.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 01:49 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
I find the blue light annoying also. We have switched around, but we also don't have the counter extension -- We started out with our heads on the refrigerator side and then one night I'm not sure why, we switched to the sink/stove side. I think the feng shui is better on the frig side, but sometimes, when we're in a pull through, heads on the frig side means we're closer to the road and maybe that is why we temporarily switched to the stove/sink side. When I lounge, I lounge on the stove/sink side --
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 02:36 PM   #9

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
Our sleeping arrangements change site to site day to day--whatever we feel wherever we are.

Took the flip up counter off beside the sink--put it beside the wardrobe at the front above the 12v and 110 outlets...We have a flip up counter up high on the fridge wall. Easy to use when bed is made up there--but don't use it much during the day as it makes it difficult to get in/out of seating..

When I sleep on the front bed I always sleep
with my head on the bathroom side--I like the little cocoon area...

Appreciating the 17b more and more for its easy adaptability..
Old 10-21-2015, 02:56 PM   #10
P&L

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
We have our head on the passenger side because we sleep with the windows open.

The window opening on the driver side is the emergency window and it opens out like an awning. The latch that supports that window is very sensitive (just watch the training video) and I didn't want the latch slamming into me. During orientation we were warned not to have children play in that area while the window was open as they could get hurt.

Lorna
P&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 03:09 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
I like to have us sleeping with our heads on the driver's side. I sleep on the outside, and can turn on the furnace and water heater in the morning without even getting out of bed. Yeah, lazy... but comfy.

Bruce
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 04:27 PM   #12

So, if an open window at our head is important, which is the better opening window, driver-side or passenger-side?
Old 10-21-2015, 05:33 PM   #13

Also, which side is the Escape default if you do not choose a side?
thanks
Bob-o
Old 10-21-2015, 06:37 PM   #14

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
We are looking at placement of the head of the bed in our 19'. Any thoughts on driver's side v. passenger side. We will not be ordering any tv, so that is not a consideration. Is there any noise from the refrigerator on the driver's side? Cooking issues on the passenger side? We will place a counter extension and 12 volt adaptor at the FOOT of the bed (either by stove or refrigerator, depending).

thanks

Bob-o
Bend, Or
I think that counter extension might actually be useful in reach of the cooking area. There isn't much counter there to work with and a bit more could be a big help.

Personally, I always sleep facing the door.

Regards,

Matt
Old 10-21-2015, 06:47 PM   #15

Also, now that we have the easy to adjust electronic thermostat, as opposed to the original hard to operate thermostat, the decision would still be heads on the fridge side because I don't even have to sit up to tap the temperature up or down.

As far as an opening window goes, my little computer fan at the foot of the bed in front of the window provides a more diffuse breeze, acceptable to my wife, who hates a cold draft on her head.

Ron
Old 10-21-2015, 08:34 PM   #16

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19 "Tortuga"
for opening windows the escape window on the driver's side is way bigger and better flow to both of us. you have to be careful of the latch but after both ways we like heads to the west best.

steve
flatpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:49 PM   #17

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Also, now that we have the easy to adjust electronic thermostat, as opposed to the original hard to operate thermostat, the decision would still be heads on the fridge side because I don't even have to sit up to tap the temperature up or down.

As far as an opening window goes, my little computer fan at the foot of the bed in front of the window provides a more diffuse breeze, acceptable to my wife, who hates a cold draft on her head.

Ron
Question about thermostat . Can I move it down or does it need to be where it is . The TV arm is over it . I know there will be a hole , so I will have to put a piece of oak and maybe add wires . I did change it to digital . I would like it lower though . Higher if that would be better . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 10:26 PM   #18

I took this photo when I had my fridge out and marked off a few dimensions in case I wanted to do a mod in this area. As you can see there's a lot of hollow wall there.

Unfortunately the area where the thermostat is located is just above the top of my photo. I just took a quick look in my trailer and tapped the wall. It sounds and feels to me like there may be a horizontal piece of wood just under where the thermostat is. If the wires come up from the bottom it might be impractical to consider lowering it because the blocking would make it difficult.

You might want to examine and tap on the area to see if you detect any underlying framing. If you know anyone with a stud finder that detects wires that could help determine if it's easily movable.

One option would to be make an oak plate for the thermostat, large enough to go from the present wiring hole to the new location and have the wires, in effect, run of the surface of the wall, in a channel on the bottom of the wood plate, if that makes any sense.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0280_resize.jpg  
Old 10-21-2015, 11:14 PM   #19

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
I took this photo when I had my fridge out and marked off a few dimensions in case I wanted to do a mod in this area. As you can see there's a lot of hollow wall there.

Unfortunately the area where the thermostat is located is just above the top of my photo. I just took a quick look in my trailer and tapped the wall. It sounds and feels to me like there may be a horizontal piece of wood just under where the thermostat is. If the wires come up from the bottom it might be impractical to consider lowering it because the blocking would make it difficult.

You might want to examine and tap on the area to see if you detect any underlying framing. If you know anyone with a stud finder that detects wires that could help determine if it's easily movable.

One option would to be make an oak plate for the thermostat, large enough to go from the present wiring hole to the new location and have the wires, in effect, run of the surface of the wall, in a channel on the bottom of the wood plate, if that makes any sense.

Ron
Hi Ron that pic is what mine looked like . So if a cut a channel in a piece of Oak on table saw , running the wires in the channel on backside of wood ,would be ok? Also I won't have any problem adding wire to make longer ? I remember when I added the digital thermistat the wire didn't have much
wire there . Also the thermostat will work lower on the wall ? I guess I mean where it is doesn't have anything to do with temp , it's alright to lower won't affect anything ? I should of taken care of this when I had the frig out . I was just thinking of frig at the moment . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 12:28 AM   #20

Trailer: 2015 17B Sold 5/2016
Quote:
Ah, thanks for that, I feel so much better. Don't know what made that side our preference. Maybe the fact that I knew I'd be adding a countertop extension or maybe thinking about slight odors from the kitchen. Who knows, it wasn't a biggie for us but in retrospect, looking at the blue light from the fridge would be annoying for me.

Ron
My eyes are usually closed when I sleep.
2012 4Runner
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote