Heading to Chilliwack Friday for our new 19 - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2017, 03:17 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 19' Escape "Cattyshack"
F150

We have a 2004 V8 4.6 L 4WD LB. It's GVWR is 6,250 lbs. We were close to that with 2 people cargo and tongue weight. The trailer is 3380 base with all our options, probably around 4000 with liquids and stuff. Our F-150 max trailer weight is 6500. So we do pretty well except on steep hills. It's more about the weight and towing limits that engine size. We switched to premium fuel and it did better, smoother, and a little better gas mileage. Cheaper than a new 2500 or F-250.

BTW - Lava Hot Springs in Southeastern ID was a nice place to spend a couple days. Great hot springs. Used AirBnB on the way to get trailer and 2 KOA's when pulling the trailer. I recommend the KOA City Center. Short walk to hot springs and food/store.
NCopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 03:22 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
We stayed there on our way to Osoyoos, after stopping at Andersen Manufacturing to get a hitch set up in Idaho. Loved the train sounds all night long, reminded me growing up.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:42 PM   #23

Trailer: 2021- 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCopp View Post
We took I-40 all the way to Albuquerque due to snow flurries in early March north of that route. Cool stuff to see heading NW through Indian Country and Canyonlands, Arches, and Moab (no time to stop), but we had many long driving days since we had a time limit to get back to Asheville. One thing I can mention is we came back I-70 across the Rockies and with our F-150 we were grinding up the steepest passes around 35 MPH wondering if we would just come to a stop. So keep that in mind.
Thanks for the route, title, and registration information. So no title from Canada.
splicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 03:46 PM   #24

No, you never get a title from a manufacturer, only a certificate of origin which you turn in to your local title place where they will issue a title from the state wherein you reside.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:00 PM   #25

Trailer: 2021- 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
No, you never get a title from a manufacturer, only a certificate of origin which you turn in to your local title place where they will issue a title from the state wherein you reside.
Thanks Jim, I did not know that. So you can tow it back to your home state legally without a tag?
splicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 04:12 PM   #26

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 aka "Bon Temps"
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCopp View Post
BTW - Lava Hot Springs in Southeastern ID was a nice place to spend a couple days. Great hot springs. Used AirBnB on the way to get trailer and 2 KOA's when pulling the trailer. I recommend the KOA City Center. Short walk to hot springs and food/store.
Will keep the Lava Hot Springs in mind. Am also trying to decide if we will use AirBnB's on our trip up or tent camp. Kinda leading to AirBnB's and save our camping time for after we pick up the trailer.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:16 PM   #27

Trailer: 2017 19' Escape "Cattyshack"
Tent camp vs AirBnB

If you tent camp you will really appreciate the trailer...It's more like glamping in our tiny house
NCopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 04:39 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by splicer View Post
Thanks Jim, I did not know that. So you can tow it back to your home state legally without a tag?
No one here on the forum, to the best of my knowledge has ever been ticketed for not having a tag in place while returning home. Just show your paperwork and you should be good to go...
Old 04-21-2017, 04:42 PM   #29

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
No one here on the forum, to the best of my knowledge has ever been ticketed for not having a tag in place while returning home. Just show your paperwork and you should be good to go...
But boy oh boy has there been a lot of discussion about that! I'll be traveling with nothing but that paperwork, because Wisconsin gives one no other choice. And PLEASE no, I'm NOT hoping to restart that one!

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 04:49 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
But boy oh boy has there been a lot of discussion about that! I'll be traveling with nothing but that paperwork, because Wisconsin gives one no other choice. And PLEASE no, I'm NOT hoping to restart that one!
You are an old hand at this, so experience speaks....
Old 04-21-2017, 07:32 PM   #31

Trailer: 2017 19' 5/02/17
I had no problem getting my plate at the Madison, Wisconsin DMV a few weeks ago with the paperwork that Escape sent. Took about 20 minutes. Pick up trailer on June 2nd.
bsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:38 PM   #32

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmoke View Post
I had no problem getting my plate at the Madison, Wisconsin DMV a few weeks ago with the paperwork that Escape sent. Took about 20 minutes. Pick up trailer on June 2nd.
That's a first. Eric, it might be worth a drive to that particular office.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:01 PM   #33

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Wow, you are the first. In La Crosse, they made me send it in to the "Research" dept at the Madison main office and maybe I'll get my license and title back in 8 weeks they said... So it's in their hands now, no way for me to take it in.... I'm still working on my local police chief for a 90 day temp plate - we'll see... But I've got a copy of my check paying the fees and tax, and copies of all the paperwork that I will be taking along.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-22-2017, 05:55 AM   #34

Trailer: 2023 21NE "Hardley II" 2021 Toyota Tacoma (Diesel Jeep stranded us twice so it had to go)
Quote:

Did you go to the east side or west side DMV? We tried to register ours at the east side before we picked it up and got denied. We were told that we had to have a STAMPED import document to prove that it was already imported.

When we got back with the stamped import documents the guy at the information desk told us we would probably need to talk to "research" first, but we tried anyway. The clerk we got was great and we walked out with our plate, no problem.

Sounds like another case of luck of the draw.
Jimrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 08:32 AM   #35

When I went in, I was hoping that the new import process, with ETI handling all the importation rather than the buyer, was going to make it easier and more clear for the WI DMV and maybe let me get a plate to take along. Jim's experience with being told that the import documents had to be stamped has been everyone's experience up to now, including mine for our 2010 17. Bsmoke being able to license and title with Tammy's sent paperwork sounds hopeful, but I'm guess was actually just a lucky mistake by a overworked clerk.

(Mod - maybe it would be good to split off our discussion about WI procedures into its own thread, as it will be irrelevant to anyone not trying to deal with our now vastly understaffed DMV)

Old 04-22-2017, 08:35 AM   #36
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
(Mod - maybe it would be good to split off our discussion about WI procedures into its own thread, as it will be irrelevant to anyone not trying to deal with our now vastly understaffed DMV)
This thread is four pages long. With all the quoted text, it's possible splitting the thread would create a big mess that doesn't make much sense. It would be better if people would just stay on topic or start new threads... yeah, like that's going to happen . But thanks for the suggestion, truly.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 08:38 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
This thread is four pages long. With all the quoted text, it's possible splitting the thread would create a big mess that doesn't make much sense. It would be better if people would just stay on topic or start new threads... yeah, like that's going to happen . But thanks for the suggestion, truly.
Yes, I am VERY good at staying on topic....what were we talking about... Seriously though, it could just get split starting with #31 and not be too confusing -- I think!

Since I helped make this mess I started this to help clean it up: Wisconsin License and Titling

Old 04-22-2017, 10:43 AM   #38

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 aka "Bon Temps"
Quote:
Yes, I am VERY good at staying on topic....what were we talking about... Seriously though, it could just get split starting with #31 and not be too confusing -- I think!

Since I helped make this mess I started this to help clean it up: Wisconsin License and Titling
New thread for Wisconsin is a nice idea. It will make it easier for those looking for info on the issues you might run into in that particular state.

It works really well for our Texas thread on the same subject where there is much useful info concerning Texas specific title and license issues.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...exas-8978.html