Help us with this decision? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2015, 09:14 AM   #1

Trailer: 19' on order... should be ready in February!
Help us with this decision?

Hi Everyone,

We are sneaking up on the due date for our build sheet and I thought I would ask your opinions on one of the decisions we are going back and forth on. We are getting the 19' trailer and plan on taking it out for shorter trips than lots of you are able to do... we are both still working at this point. We live in Colorado and will be spending lots of time up in the mountains with it...

We are planning on skipping the range hood over the stove. This part of the decision we feel pretty good about because we are planning on doing most of our cooking (and dishes) outdoors and we want the openness in the room without the hood. The part we are going back and forth on is whether it is a good idea to also reverse the position of the stove and the sink. The thought is that the window placement (opening) would follow the sink, placing the stove more centrally between the window and the MaxxFan to make the ventilation just a little bit better. We are thinking that we could use the flip up counter as a "warning" device for anyone entering the trailer if the stove is in use, addressing the safety concern of something getting knocked and falling off. I know a few of you have done this.... have you liked it? Thoughts anyone?

Thanks!
Leslie
ljvinco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 09:51 AM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
We got the sink window, range hood, and we stuck with the standard stove/sink arrangement. After a couple years use, I have no issues with that. Where it is, pots cooking on the stove are safely in a corner and not likely to get bumped into. Agreed, not having the range hood does make for a cleaner, more open look. The hood exhaust has been functional but not critical. The window was a great move. Think it on the left side makes the sink more convenient. We'll use the sink cover and lift the fold-down wing whenever more counter space is needed.

Of course, there's never enough counter space.
Attached Thumbnails
kitch-6a.jpg  
Old 11-10-2015, 10:06 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I do have the range hood in my 17, but the only times I use it it to attempt (with limited success) to keep the smoke alarm from going off when making toast. I do most of my cooking outside or in a toaster oven when I have hookups, so I don't use the trailer stove very often.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:14 AM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
I use the hood to vent steam while cooking. On cold, rainy days when condensation is an issue, every little bit helps. I'm not sure I'd miss it, if it weren't there.

I like my hot pots and pans, sitting in the corner. Haven't sent one flying, yet.
sturski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 11:35 AM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I would think that it is better not to break up the counter space by moving the stove. With the flip-up counter and the sink cover next to one another, you have a larger surface ( unless you are doing dishes ).
Old 11-10-2015, 12:12 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
I agree about not breaking up the counter run for efficiency. Also, the Maxx fan is appropriately named; as I've said before, it will suck your socks off if you don't have something cracked open somewhere.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 12:57 PM   #7

Thank you all for your input. I had thought about the effect having the sink on the right would have on the "right to left" workflow that a right handed person (like both of us are) is most comfortable with. I had thought less about the impact on the contiguous counter space mostly because I figured both the sink and the stove have a cover that can be put into place to restore the countertop.

The option has also just gotten more expensive to do... our original quote from ETI was $100 to reverse the placements; I just learned that the original quote was incorrect and that it really costs $250 to make the changes.

As far as the condensation issue goes, that is one of those things that we have absolutely no way to anticipate as this is our first trailer. The comment is especially relevant considering that it comes from a Colorado neighbor who is camping in many of the same places we hope to go....

Lots to think about...

Leslie
Old 11-10-2015, 01:00 PM   #8

You might want to sift through the It's Friday thread for build pix of a 19 with stove and sink swapped. Would help you decide.
Old 11-10-2015, 01:04 PM   #9

Thanks! I've been almost all of the way through those pictures and I think I only saw one trailer in which this change was made.... Ruthe's trailer. Looking at those pix again right now!
Old 11-10-2015, 02:27 PM   #10

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Condensation is a big issue in any trailer. That said, this is not our first trailer, in the first we found we never used the range hood so we did not get it in this one. We used the Fantastic Fan in the last trailer and the Maxxfan in the Escape with the window open when the weather or bugs chase us inside to cook. Works well for us but many have and like the hood, just a matter of personal preference, like having an oven, or swapping the stove and sink.

Condensation control is also an issue to think about when you shower.
Old 11-10-2015, 02:32 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Here you go
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...tml#post117725
Old 11-10-2015, 02:36 PM   #12

Looking at the reversed sink/stove top. Wouldn't work for us, dirty dishes go on the extension, drying mat on the other side of the sink while the dish washer runs.
Old 11-10-2015, 02:37 PM   #13

Thank you for the pictures! What a beautiful trailer!! It looks like you made many of the same choices there that we think we are ready to commit to ourselves. It is so helpful to be able to see what it would look like.... I take it you were happy with this orientation?

Leslie
Old 11-10-2015, 03:20 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
My rangehood is one of the first mods on my 17A I intend to do .... out it comes! I'm a bit over 6' tall and if I'm looking head down at something on my counter or on the stove, I can run the corner into my forehead.

I stopped by ETI to resolve a sink faucet issue and discovered this problem. I'm thinking about a new hood 2 - 3 inches thick (tall) and not having it protrude beyond the front edge of the overhead cabinets.... powered by a couple of computer style fans. I may have seen some low profile range hoods on RV sites but am not sure of size or cost or what sites.

Can't wait to get my hands on my trailer. Its ready but work won't let go of me until early - mid January.
Old 11-10-2015, 03:32 PM   #15

Trailer: 2006 8.5' Alaskan. 2008 Scamp 16. 2015 Escape 21
I'm 6'2" and haven't had a collision with the range hood so far. It is a convenient place to park magnetic things, like a digital kitchen timer.
Ditchrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 04:18 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
Has anyone found a good way to pad the range hood and cabinets so you don't hurt your head too much when you collide with them? I seem to be doing better to avoid them after a few bumps but would like to protect my head from them.
bdornbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 04:24 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Children's stores sell rubber pads and padding that will stick on.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 05:15 PM   #18

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
This has worked for me.
Attached Thumbnails
helmet1.jpg  
Old 11-10-2015, 05:26 PM   #19

Saved from your college days I imagine.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:31 PM   #20

I haven't had a problem, but I'm only 5'8", and shrinking.