Here is a typical newbie question - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2018, 03:12 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 5.0 2007 pulled by RAM 1500 ecodiesel
Here is a typical newbie question

OK OK, I can hear you all laugh out there.
We have a 5.0 (2007). Can you share your ideas in storing safely (and hopefully efficiently) the dishes, cups, and glasses?
While you are at it share any other storing ideas.
Of course, this question comes from Miriam, I would not ask. LOL
Thanks
Allen
allenmaloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 03:24 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Not an unusual question at all. We stored our dishes (Corelle) and plastic glasses/mugs in the cupboard above the sink. For us, that was easiest place to grab a glass or put them away after after washing. I did put down some 'grabber' shelf lining, but it never worked. It just slid along with the dishes. Finally found some coated wire dividers and used those. (I also had enough room to keep a shoebox up there with all my spices.)

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 03:59 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Hello Allen.
Had the same problem.Contacted RV Widgets.com. In Hillsboro Oregon.Charlie had the template for our 2017 21 so it was quick.Check his website.Those dividers worked like a charm.
I ordered 5 of them and put them in the cupboard above the sink.That worked really good until the wife got involved and took three of them out and put them in other cupboards to divide up spaces for clothing towels etc.It still works for the dishes , glasses and such.
Way to go, had about a dozen people at Osoyoos who took pictures and address to Charlie.
Good luck.
Allan
Allan Bornestig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 04:38 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
We store Corelle, stacked, in the cupboard above the stove ( 17B ). DuraClear polycarbonate wine and beer glasses ( Williams and Sonoma ) are stored there too. If you fill it up, stuff can't move around, even without dividers.

From W&S website: These graceful red wine glasses have an incredible light-reflecting clarity—you might mistake them for true glass. Now made in the USA from an extremely durable polycarbonate, the stemmed glasses are perfect for poolside parties, picnics and barbecues.
  • Set of six elegant red wine glasses, ideal for serving beverages outdoors and poolside.
  • DuraClear food-grade polycarbonate won’t crack, shatter, break, cloud or discolour.
  • Glasses maintain their clarity even through regular use and washing.
  • For cold beverages only.
  • Dishwasher safe.
Attached Thumbnails
dish cupboard.jpg  
Old 06-22-2018, 04:43 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Added a couple drawers with foam shelf liner, easy access and the stay put.
Attached Thumbnails
20170710_182124.jpg   20170706_094653.jpg   20170705_170724a.jpg  
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 05:05 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I keep one of each (plate, bowl, etc) but since I spend most of the winter dry camping in the desert, I have to admit to paper plates & plastic cups for most of my meals. I gave up on glass wine glasses after breaking 3; I now have plastic...
Old 06-22-2018, 08:38 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Bornestig View Post
Hello Allen.
Had the same problem.Contacted RV Widgets.com. In Hillsboro Oregon.Charlie had the template for our 2017 21 so it was quick.Check his website.Those dividers worked like a charm.
I ordered 5 of them and put them in the cupboard above the sink.That worked really good until the wife got involved and took three of them out and put them in other cupboards to divide up spaces for clothing towels etc.It still works for the dishes , glasses and such.
Way to go, had about a dozen people at Osoyoos who took pictures and address to Charlie.
Good luck.
Allan
They work like this.....also dividers for the floor cabinets (save the wine bottles!)
Attached Thumbnails
PICT0226.jpg   PICT0229 (2).jpg  

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 12:45 PM   #8

Trailer: 2012 E19
A previous trailer of mine had side-hinged doors on all cupboards. To avoid stuff banging against the door and opening it and the contents spilling out, I used a combination of plastic bins (no tops) and small cardboard boxes (cut down to correct height) that fit tightly in the space. That meant I usually had to pull the bin or box out of the upper cupboard to see inside and grab what I wanted, but at least I never opened the trailer door to find contents strewn on the floor like before.
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 05:59 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
The Wine store had a cardboard six pack carrier that fits perfectly in the under fridge cabinet in the 19. Holds the wine, mixers and leaves room on the right side for a 1.75 bottle of spirits n cups. Awesome setup for that space-and free with ur wine purchase.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 11:03 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 - 2016 GMC Canyon 4x4 Diesel
Our solution is similar to most others but with a couple of additions I haven't seen elsewhere.

I'll second those who use RVWidgetWorks.com accessories. We have about $400 worth of them in our trailer (upper cabinet dividers, lower cabinet dividers, drawer trays, and under bed drawers) and consider it money very well spent. Charlie does good work.

Initially, we put down shelf liner like that used by Chotch (post #5), but what we found is that it clings pretty well to the plates, etc. (Corelle) but doesn't cling at all to the floor of the cabinets, which meant nothing stayed in place and trying to get the bottom plate out just made a mess. So after our first trip I tossed that and lined all the cabinets with 4mm EVA foam cut to fit. It also doesn't cling to the cabinet floor, but while it does a good job of preventing things from sliding around, it also doesn't cling to the dinner ware, it provides sound and shock cushioning, it doesn't wad up, and it's easy to clean. I use the same stuff to make custom dividers for my camera cases. Based on our experiences back in the day with Corelle in a popup trailer, we also cut felt sheets to go between each plate in the stack. For our tea mugs I built a custom sized box with an EVA foam insert. The insert alone would work just fine, although for standalone use I would have used 6mm foam, but the box is a little more attractive.

The other thing I did was to attach horizontal strips of velcro loop fabric to the back of all the lower cabinets and vertical strips of hook fabric to the back of the lower cabinet dividers. That way I can place the dividers anywhere without having them move or fall and we don't need nearly as many to effectively divide up the entire space.
Attached Thumbnails
w-Escape_21-Storage-20180623-02.jpg   w-Escape_21-Storage-20180623-04.jpg   w-Escape_21-Storage-20180623-05.jpg   w-Escape_21-Storage-20180623-07.jpg  

"It ain't what you don't know that hurts you - it's what you know for sure that just ain't so.” - S. Clemens
StanLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 05:06 AM   #11

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
We have the rubber cabinet liner, that and keeping the cabinet pretty much stuffed keeps things in place. We use a combination of Corelle ware and paper, between the 2 the cabinet stays pretty full, Corelle being under the paper. For glassware, if you can call them that, we use Tervis plastic goods. We cover glass jars and coffee mugs with cut off socks.
Old 06-24-2018, 07:52 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I found one side to be sticky, so I put that side down and the non sticky side up to hold the items, works.
Old 06-24-2018, 09:59 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I found one side to be sticky, so I put that side down and the non sticky side up to hold the items, works.

One side of what?
Old 06-24-2018, 10:08 AM   #14

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
what we were talking about- the cabinet liners in the previous posts.....
Old 06-24-2018, 10:22 AM   #15

I've never seen cabinet liner that is sticky on one side. Looking to Google, I see the liner is available as self-adhesive, or not.

I tried sticking the non-sticky stuff down with double sided tape. That didn't work. It just bunched up in different places.
Old 06-24-2018, 06:29 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
A couple more ideas here.

We don’t use corelle because I was concerned about they way they can shatter. We use melamine instead. I just stack all my dishes and plastic glasses and coffee mugs in the undercounted cabinet to the right of the sink. Whenever we travel I stuff a throw pillow in the cabinet as a cushion and to prevent anything from moving around. It works! Also we prefer to use glass wine glasses so I have 4 stemless that I keep in the under sink cabinet in the box they came in. The box wedges in under the sink pipes and nothing moves.
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 06:50 PM   #17
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
stemless wine goblets rock. I even use them for my craft ales.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 07:33 PM   #18

Trailer: 2006 17b Escape towed by 2003 Chev Suburban 4WD or 1998 Ford F150 V6 2WD
Send a message via ICQ to deange
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenmaloney View Post
OK OK, I can hear you all laugh out there.
We have a 5.0 (2007). Can you share your ideas in storing safely (and hopefully efficiently) the dishes, cups, and glasses?
While you are at it share any other storing ideas.
Of course, this question comes from Miriam, I would not ask. LOL
Thanks
Allen
We all had to learn sometime! My wife goes to the dollar store and buys all sorts of baskets and stores everything in them. We use rubbermaid non-slip drawer liners all over the cupboards (under the baskets) and in between the cups to keep them from breaking. We have made over 2500 kms this year with our current $10 set of clearance sale dishes from Canadian Tire (ie. normal and nothing special) and they haven't broken yet. I find plastic pint "glasses" at our various breweries on our travels and they serve the purpose and act as simple reminders of our visits.
I'll share pictures later if interested.
deange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 02:09 AM   #19

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I use plastic or stainless wine glasses when camping. one night I was returning to my camp site after some late night visiting and I tripped on a root fell right on my wine glass but thankfully it was plastic. Drinking and wandering around in the dark with a real wine glass might get me injured!
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 08:46 AM   #20

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
We are also fans of Corelle. We carry it stacked in the overhead above the sink. I was initially concerned that as it’s (laminated) glass, it would be fragile, but we have driven idontknowhowmany thousands of miles with it this way, including some stuff that wasn’t even road, but 4x4 Jeep-track (shortcuts can lead to some interesting adventures). Corelle is tough. Never a crack or chip, and always stacked just like we left it.

For wine we use stainless goblets, held in place by chick squeeze toys.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4989.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	351.0 KB
ID:	32426Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4991.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	310.0 KB
ID:	32427