Hi lift axel questions - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-12-2017, 04:00 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19 on order
Hi lift axel questions

Hello all,

Today we had a phone call with Escape trailer Industries and filled out our build sheet. At this point, we did not order the high lift axle. However my wife thanks this would be a beneficial option for boondocking.

Did you order the high lift axle?
Do you find it necessary for boondocking in places like Quartzsite or national parks?
Would you recommend this option?
If you didn't order it, do you feel you should have?
Have you installed an aftermarket lift?

Thanks in advance for any information,

Dan
Kingbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 04:05 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I travel a lot of gravel and dirt roads, as well as do a lot of boondocking . When I bought my 19 I ordered the lift axle, but never really felt it was needed. When I ordered my 5.0TA I decided to not get it. No regrets.

If you regularly traveled really rough and on undulating road surfaces, it might be advantageous.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 04:17 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I would need some sort of lift kit for the RAV4 to take advantage of the lift kit that I have on my 17B. I got the lift because I planned to get a Toyota Tacoma, but my wife pointed out that I would need a lift to get into the cab as I got older, so we ended up with the RAV4.
Attached Thumbnails
With WDH1.jpg  
Old 10-12-2017, 05:38 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbiscuit View Post

Did you order the high lift axle?
Do you find it necessary for boondocking in places like Quartzsite or national parks?
Would you recommend this option?
If you didn't order it, do you feel you should have?
Have you installed an aftermarket lift?

Dan
1. No
2. No. Quartzsite is pretty tame.
3. No
4. No, two Baja's including the unfinished Mex. 5 and one Alaska Hwy. No need
for it.
5. No

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 05:39 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
1. No
2. No. Quartzsite is pretty tame.
3. No
4. No, two Baja's including the unfinished Mex. 5 and one Alaska Hwy. No need
for it.
5. No

Ron
And no means no, right Ron?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 08:02 PM   #6

Trailer: 2006 Escape 17
I put the lift kit on our 19, but would not do it again. I think all it did was increase the windage. Now we have a 17 and am not tempted to add the lift kit, seems to do just fine.
advdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 08:31 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19 on order
Thanks everyone for the info. At this point, I'm not going to have the lift axel installed.

Thanks again,

Dan
Kingbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 11:17 PM   #8

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbiscuit View Post
Thanks everyone for the info. At this point, I'm not going to have the lift axel installed.

Thanks again,Dan
It’s not a dropped start angle on the axle. I believe they are using the simple Dexter kit made for #10 axles.Could be added anytime.

http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-...71-707-02.html.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 12:20 AM   #9

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
To Lift? ... or Not Lift ... What is the answer? - Almost quoted from Shakespeare.

When I was working on my build sheet prior to ordering my 17A, the forums opinion was all (mostly) in favor of the high lift axel. My dreams too ... not rock crawling, but pretty out-of-the-way places and roads. So I ordered the high lift axel. I'm not particularly sorry I did but along ascetic lines, I wish I had the experience to order either a standard lift or a 1/2 lift (I forget now what they call it ... but half way between a standard height and a high lift height - same price and they are available) . I think my trailer unloaded looks a bit like the "Nerds" in high school (I was one too) ... you know ... black shoes, white socks and pants that ended about 3" above their shoes (laundry shrinkage?). Anyway my trailer looks like that unloaded. I don't care.

One thing I had no way of knowing is how much will my trailer 'settle' with a load of water, food, clothing, etc. added .... for me very roughly about 800 - 1000 lbs. ... not much ... and what about time? Will these axels with their built in rubber shock absorbers settle? I have found not much over the last two years of ownership.

Whatever the standard axel height offers, the 45 degree height will give you roughly an additional 1.5 inches of increased clearance and the high lift axel something around 2.75 increased clearance. If these figures aren't accurate, I apologize because I'm running off memory power from when I picked up my trailer a couple years ago after talking with Tammy's brother. You should ask.

My way of thinking is that I'd rather ground out the tow vehicle before the trailer. You'd likely hear that in the cab and stop. If you are hung up, unhitch and add more air to the tow tires and give yourself the chance to get off. If the trailer is the low point, you may not hear it until some damage has been done or you are really stuck. Point is, look at the ground clearance of your tow vehicle and strive for at least equal or greater clearance in your trailer.

However, if what you want is the song of smooooth endless pavement in your tires ... then ask for a 'low rider' axel, get a pompadore, and roll your Lucky Strikes in the sleeve of your white "T" shirt while driving Route 66.

Tom
Old 10-14-2017, 12:36 AM   #10

Trailer: August 2017 17b
I just hate that stomach feeling when my car has scraped bottom.... QUITE memorable....more than once. Figure my Escape's under carriage more vulnerable, and wanted to lower it's risk, so went for high-rise. Am thinking if towing and hear that sickening scrape on my car's belly while towing, will stop immediately to evaluate options.
sumac.rhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 09:58 AM   #11

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
If you don’t plan to go anywhere truly wild, I’d say it’s probably unnecessary. But if you ever take the road less traveled, a high lift *might* prove very useful. We had Escape install it on our 17, then spent a year exploring North America. On two occasions we were super glad that we had it. Both times were surprises as we tried road less traveled “shortcuts”. Like 4WD, for 99+% of the time the high lift is completely unnecessary. But if you’re the kind of person who might go “interesting” places, either on purpose *or* accidentally, it’s a good thing to have.
Old 10-14-2017, 02:26 PM   #12

Trailer: 2018 21
could be an advantage if you use / board any ferries on your travels ,,,,, on extreme tides the ramp angle can be challenging as you would want to avoid tail drag ,hi lift would help there for sure but other than that stock should be ok
stormforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 05:05 PM   #13

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19'
I'm on the fence regarding the high-lift axle. Our used Escape came with the 2.5" lift and I was going to pull the lift off because I thought it might tow different with a higher center of gravity. The trailer tows great, but looks like some high school kid installed a lift kit with the 14" rims. On the positive, I don't ever worry about bottoming the trailer rear out when towing down a steep hill with a dip at the bottom before an immediate uphill. We have two of these to get home.

Also debating whether to replace the 14" rims with 15" when I replace the tires...
DMPortland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 05:16 PM   #14

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I have lift and 15" rims.
Attached Thumbnails
Harmon camp.jpg  
Old 10-14-2017, 05:48 PM   #15

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
would the high lift axle also help those with an extra steep driveway from bottoming out when going from street to incline?
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 09:12 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
The high lift comes in handy for those sewer connections that some parks mount too high. We have been really happy we ordered the high lift at multiple parks we have visited.
tdf-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 09:16 PM   #17

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
The high lift comes in handy for those sewer connections that some parks mount too high. We have been really happy we ordered the high lift at multiple parks we have visited.

Seconded.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:19 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Now there is a reason to have it. Seen that problem many times. Suppose we could add it.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 09:31 PM   #19

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I would need some sort of lift kit for the RAV4 to take advantage of the lift kit that I have on my 17B. I got the lift because I planned to get a Toyota Tacoma, but my wife pointed out that I would need a lift to get into the cab as I got older, so we ended up with the RAV4.
That's pretty much the case for my 15A, too. But I do like the height since the dogs like to hang out under the trailer when we are camping.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 01:53 AM   #20

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
would the high lift axle also help those with an extra steep driveway from bottoming out when going from street to incline?
I would think so.
DMPortland is offline   Reply With Quote