History of Robertson vs Phillips screw. - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-14-2020, 03:40 PM   #21

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvanzan View Post
Where does the Reed and Prince/Frearson drive measure on the ease of use spectrum? That was the type used by phone company installers and is probably found in virtually every telephone connector block in the US.
The Frearson is self-centering, and doesn't cam out like a Phillips, so it's relatively easy to use.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 04:45 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I find Robertson screws use in fine furniture. I have several pieces where they were used in hinges and assemblage.
Old 01-14-2020, 05:57 PM   #23

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
What do you mean by "star"... Torx, perhaps? The Torx system works very well, but is still uncommon outside of automotive and electronic products.
At my local Ace hardware, most of the deck screws come with Torx heads. They even throw in a driver head with each box.
Old 01-14-2020, 06:31 PM   #24

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
At my local Ace hardware, most of the deck screws come with Torx heads. They even throw in a driver head with each box.
We too get these deck screws with Torx heads, but there is very little else offered with them. I do really like using them. I do have a set of Torx screwdrivers and drivers too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 07:09 PM   #25

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Yes, I should have mentioned those, and there are some larger structural screws in Torx, too... but most wood screws here are still Robertson.

Torx is certainly superior, but wasn't technically practical to manufacture back when Robertson was introduced. I'm still not sure if Torx is what UncleTim meant by "star".
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 07:24 AM   #26

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
I have been using Star screws almost exclusively for years. My shop is entirely built using them. The brass have two sizes, the coated ones use a smaller bit.

They are superior. They never cam out. They offer great control. Very much like the square bit. The star configuration and the slight taper makes them my number one choice and my hardware store stocks them in various lengths. Sells them by the pound.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 07:30 AM   #27

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Quote:
What do you mean by "star"... Torx, perhaps? The Torx system works very well, but is still uncommon outside of automotive and electronic products.
Torx may be the actual name. We just call them star bits.

Here you go!
Attached Thumbnails
star-bits.jpg  
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 07:48 AM   #28

Torx around here but still the same....
Old 01-16-2020, 07:51 AM   #29

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
I use the Torx on a lot of my projects around the house. What I like the most is the heads do not strip out like the Phillips head do if one needs to extract them
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 11:07 AM   #30

Oh Boy,
Do I have sympathy for those people who have never experienced Robertson Head Screws.

The Phillips screw cams out - Roberrtson doesn't. Further, inserting the screw on the bit keeps it there till you use it.

Go Canada.

Don
Don Andersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 05:40 PM   #31

Trailer: None
Quote:
The Frearson is self-centering, and doesn't cam out like a Phillips, so it's relatively easy to use.
Frearson, more commonly know as Reed & Prince, were widely used in the PNW boat building business a few decades ago. They were usually made of silicon bronze. While better at resisting camming-out than a Phillips head, the Robertson are even better. The big problem with R+P is that any dirt, paint, or sealant in the head would prevent full engagement and result in camming out and damage to the head, often resulting in difficulty in removing the screw once damaged and necessitating replacement. I have spent too much time with a sail needle trying to clean out R+P heads to love them, and I have a boat made of them. The one advantage of R+P is that they use a single taper, so a small screwdriver will fit a large screw perfectly and vice-versa; Phillips has their multiple sizes, and using the wrong drive for the head can cause damage to the screw.

These days the PNW boatbuilders use a lot of square drive (Robertson) screws, and R+P are getting harder to find.
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 06:27 PM   #32

Interestingly, Reed and Prince have been in Massachusetts since late 1800's in their original factory....For over 125 years our products have been proudly made in the USA. Our precision, make to print cold headed fasteners, have been utilized in critical performance and precision applications by the world’s leading manufacturers in the automotive/transportation, building construction, electrical/electronic and commercial/industrial markets.
Old 01-23-2020, 07:33 AM   #33

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Attached Thumbnails
Phillips.jpg  
Old 01-23-2020, 07:40 AM   #34

Hey, I remember when there were only slot head screws and a phillips was a vast improvement over those.
Old 06-16-2022, 07:14 AM   #35

Trailer: M6
It is an interesting story that shows us, among other things, how competition becomes the reason for developing and improving the quality of manufactured goods, for example, screws and other things. By the way, many companies producing fasteners save on materials and, therefore, on quality. In Australia, it is generally difficult to find high-quality screws and bolts. Scrooz Fasteners is probably the only company that sells something of high quality at an affordable price.
thomsoxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 08:11 AM   #36

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA 'Liberty'
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
I have been using Star screws almost exclusively for years. My shop is entirely built using them. The brass have two sizes, the coated ones use a smaller bit.

They are superior. They never cam out. They offer great control. Very much like the square bit. The star configuration and the slight taper makes them my number one choice and my hardware store stocks them in various lengths. Sells them by the pound.

UT,
But you have this guy in your backyard, one of many places to wander and drool in Boulder.

https://www.mcguckin.com/
HarleyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 08:57 AM   #37

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Must give due recognition to this little brother, which I happened to learn about recently.
Attached Thumbnails
Torx1.jpg  
Old 06-16-2022, 04:33 PM   #38

Trailer: 2021 ETI 19 (Matilda)
Not just a bit

...Alot BiT Better!

https://phlipbit.com/
Phlip is offline   Reply With Quote