Hitch Wheel and Electric Tongue Jack - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-14-2010, 08:06 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Hitch Wheel and Electric Tongue Jack

How many of you use a hitch wheel? I notice in photos that it is most common to place the trailer tongue on boards or a cone type device when camping. Do you use the wheel during storage, or for getting into storage?

On the other forum there has been a discussion of electric tongue jacks. I can't say I have heard them mentioned with regards to an Escape. Are they needed? Does anyone have an opinion as to their value?

On a similar thread, I have heard of using a cordless drill to lower the scissor jacks. Is that useful or necessary or just another 2 lbs to add to the trailer weight?
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:34 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Re: Hitch Wheel and Electric Tongue Jack

I have a hitch wheel and have rarely used it. I can usually get in to where I want backing in. If you ever want to turn the trailer for any reason, and you have firm ground it works great. I have been temped to take it out of the trailer, but have yet to do so.

Unless you have physical issue, I see no need at all for an electric tongue jack. Our 19 raises and lowers real easy.

The scissor jacks are easy to operate with the supplied crank handle. I really see no need for a drill. I bet it takes my wife or me a couple minutes tops to put the stabilizers up or down.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:57 AM   #3

I could not get my trailer into the carport without my hitch wheel.

See this thread.

You have got me thinking that once it is in position, I could remove the wheel, and store it out of the weather.

EDIT: I am with Jim on power assist for jacks: unnecessary for an average person. Further, I like to feel how the stabilizers take the strain, and I would lose that feel with a power drill.

2009 17' Plan B
ronstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:08 PM   #4

Trailer: 2006 17b Goucho

I admit I am lazy and use a power drill with adjustable torque to lower and raise all four stabilizer jacks and the Bal tire leveler. The adjustable torque sort of ensure equal lift on the jacks. The battery pack for the drill also powers a flashlight for some double duty work. With Bal jack pads on each jack and a power dirll I can get it all set real quick. I don't need it, but I like it. I'm not in a hurry but I like to be done. Plus the kids like to help if a tool is involved.

You don't need a power drill.
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote