Home But Not For Long - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2014, 11:45 AM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Have either of you installed the hyper mesh? I have not had any issues after installing that. I do keep the o/h vent open a bit 24/7 and the kitchen window cracked 1"
Jim, I haven't installed hyper mesh yet, but will have it in the trailer by the time we leave for the SouthWest in late January. We did have the vent open an inch or two, and we had the pelonnis furnace going. But when the humidity is 100% (as I assume it is when the fog is so thick you can't see the 40 ft fifth wheel in the next site), my guess is that you are going to get some condensation no matter what.

There are other products besides Hyper Mesh. I have been looking for a place to buy dri dek tiles for the shower floor, and while reading about that I came across stories of sailors who put dri dek under their cushions and mattresses. Apparently the big thing is to have some air space between the surface of the mattress/cushion and what ever the cold surface is. I will probably use hyper mesh, but I did think about just buying enough dri-dek to lay under the mattress.

I also thought about insulating the underside of the mattress platform. I don't know if that would make any difference at all, if seems like it might keep the platform warmer and hence reduce some of the condensation.

Leon

LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 12:07 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
I do something similar with securing the awning. Never had a problem but reading about them gave me cause to try Velcro straps. Several years ago I purchased a 4 pack of these from Amazon and have found a myriad of uses. If you need a longer segment they can be connected together.

On the awning I daisy chained two of them for securing the support arm, I fastened them at belly band height.
After our incident I called Carefree and they said they would be happy to send out straps to secure the plastic side releases which Tammy mentions as being important in the video. They also provided a list of local RV mechanics for an inspection and assured me the warranty would cover anything in this instance.

Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 12:03 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 19' 2011
Regarding the awning during travel, has anyone tried the tubes which cover the awning when stored? They also protect the awning from sun. Something like these. I think with clips they are good for on the road. I wonder how hard they are to install and remove though.

Any experiences?

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
After our incident I called Carefree and they said they would be happy to send out straps to secure the plastic side releases which Tammy mentions as being important in the video. They also provided a list of local RV mechanics for an inspection and assured me the warranty would cover anything in this instance.
currinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 12:22 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by currinh View Post
Regarding the awning during travel, has anyone tried the tubes which cover the awning when stored? They also protect the awning from sun. Something like these. I think with clips they are good for on the road. I wonder how hard they are to install and remove though.

Any experiences?

Thanks.
My Mom has used one on her awning. They're helpful when the trailer is stored in sunlight. I can't speak to using them when traveling.

I just use 303 on outdoor fabrics and it does a good job of protecting them from UV damage/deterioration.
Old 11-01-2014, 12:46 PM   #15

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
I have them . There are easy to put on and off . I don't travel with them on though even with the clips . I don't want to have to remove them when I am camping to put up awning every Time . I only use at home . Hope this helps .
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 01:02 PM   #16

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
H
Quote:
Originally Posted by currinh View Post

Any experiences?

Thanks.
Yes, LOVE them. On our website. Kept them on for travel as reduces UV damage. You leave them on to drop the awning since the awning just unfurls underneath them. When all the way down just remove them and place on the back bumper. We use the clip when going down the road. You only have to snap them back on in the fully up position when getting ready to travel. These are also part of our winterization since they keep the water and mildew off. They worked great last winter since we do not have a cover.

techfan is offline   Reply With Quote