Honda Ridgeline towing Escape 19 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2019, 03:21 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19
Honda Ridgeline towing Escape 19

I wonder if anyone has a Honda Ridgeline and is towing an Escape 19? Any issues with towing? Please be honest. I haven’t purchased yet, but will if the towing isn’t a problem. Thanks so much.
djfriedt@shaw.ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 05:38 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I believe Jim B. used one to tow his E19 before he got his 5.0....maybe he will chime in.
Old 06-05-2019, 05:49 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
A lot of people (I believe including Jim Bennett) have used a Honda Pilot to tow an Escape, and the Pilot and Ridgeline are closely related and very similar. The Ridgeline is likely a better tow vehicle than the Pilot.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 06:16 PM   #4

This is great. Keep the comments and wisdom coming. I am very impressed with the quality of the E19.
djfriedt@shaw.ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:35 PM   #5

Trailer: TBD
The second generation Ridgeline has a 5000-pound towing capacity and 600-pound hitch weight. I'm looking at getting a 21 to tow with my Ridgeline. Here is another good site for reading and a good place to ask questions.

https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/...hes-towing.33/
Old 06-05-2019, 10:41 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I believe Jim B. used one to tow his E19 before he got his 5.0....maybe he will chime in.
J.B. used a Pilot as does hotfishtacos. T.R. Fraser uses a Ridgeline for his 21.
Old 06-06-2019, 05:29 AM   #7

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
J.B. used a Pilot as does hotfishtacos. T.R. Fraser uses a Ridgeline for his 21.
Thanks for the clarification........
Old 06-06-2019, 05:36 AM   #8

Trailer: Hello Hakuna Matata (Escape 19) bye bye Aliner
I had a first gen Ridgeline, a wonderful truck but I've never towed an Escape with it.

The maximum that I've towed with it was an open trailer with two motocycle (total weight near 3000#) plus four adult and bed full luggage from Ottawa to Daytona.

The 5000# limit is real and you have to substrat what is at the rear on the driver seat. It will tow but it will not be fun. Heavy fuel consumption, and very limited performance. My rule on thumb is never exceed 75% of the spec of the truck. Since an empty trailler is close to 3500# you are already at that 75%.

It will pull without any major issue but many choices and sacrifice will have to be made from you're part. It would not be my choice of truck even if it is a Wonderfull Truck.
hondasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 09:52 AM   #9

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
I've been towing our 19 with a 1st gen Ridgeline since 2016. We live in Colorado and travel throughout the mountains. The Ridgeline does great, with no problems. I think the fuel mileage (percent) drops more than a regular 1/2 ton does.

Also, Honda recommends that one does NOT use a WDH. I've never used one and have had no problems at all.

The Ridgeline towing capacity of 5000# is a good number. Most companies' advertised tow limits are based on an empty truck with just a driver. The Ridgeline allows some payload in the truck with its advertised tow capability.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 10:27 AM   #10

The Honda RIDGELINE 2007 specs.
Total Trailer Weight and Tongue Load Guidelines:

Number of Occupants*
Max. Trailer Weight
Max. Tongue Load**
5000 lbs (2268 kg)
600 lbs (272 kg)
4750 lbs (2155 kg)
600 lbs (272 kg)
4750 lbs (2155 kg)
570 lbs (258 kg)
4500 lbs (2041 kg)
516 lbs (234 kg)
* The corresponding weight limits assume occupants fill seats from the front of the vehicle to the back, each occupant weighs 150 lbs (70 kg), and each has 15 lbs (7 kg) of cargo in the cab, pickup bed, or In-Bed Trunk. Any additional weight, including cargo or accessories, reduces the maximum trailer weight and maximum tongue load. Never exceed the gross axle weight ratings (see page 213 ).
** Recommended tongue load should be 5-15% of the total trailer weight for boat trailers, and 10-15% of the total trailer weight for all other trailers.

To determine the correct cargo and luggage load limit:
1. Locate the statement, ‘‘the
combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed 1,530 (1,480) lbs’’ on your vehicle’s placard. [The placard is on the driver’s doorjamb.]
2. Determine the combined weight of the driver and passengers that will be riding in your vehicle.
3. Subtract the combined weight of the driver and passengers from 1,530 (1,480) pounds.
4. The resulting figure equals the available amount of cargo and luggage load capacity. For example, if the maximum load is 1,530 lbs and there will be five 150 lb. passengers in your vehicle, the amount of available cargo and luggage load capacity is 780 lbs. [1,530 - 750 (5 × 150) = 780 lbs.]
Old 06-06-2019, 04:05 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
We towed our 19 with an 06 Ridgeline many times, and currently with an 18 Ridgeline AWD. The new one gets much better gas mileage while towing than the old one, but both did fine regarding power and ride.
Old 06-06-2019, 11:35 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 19' - "Tramper"
People will tow with whatever they feel like towing with. We saw many suspect combinations at the Rally.
I hope that if those who are at or over their payload and towing ratings never have an issue or an accident as I am sure the insurance ramifications won't be kind.
If one can't be bothered to be concerned about oneself, perhaps they could be considerate of others who may be affected by their decisions.
Old 06-07-2019, 06:32 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancenadine View Post
People will tow with whatever they feel like towing with. We saw many suspect combinations at the Rally.
I hope that if those who are at or over their payload and towing ratings never have an issue or an accident as I am sure the insurance ramifications won't be kind.
If one can't be bothered to be concerned about oneself, perhaps they could be considerate of others who may be affected by their decisions.
Pulling anything is rarely an issue because you can use the time you want to attend the speed you want . Keeping it in control and stopping it is the issue here since it it mostly limited or very limited in time.

Pulling should be a pleasant experience ... like every thing else.
Old 06-07-2019, 06:54 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancenadine View Post
I find that people who do what they want are rarely considerate of others nor worry about the consequences of their own actions...
Old 06-07-2019, 10:18 AM   #15

Trailer: TBD
Conflating "at towing limit" and "exceeding towing limit" can cause problems for observers that may not exist in reality. If your tow vehicle is Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) J2807 certified for the weight you are towing (and the Ridgeline is!), that is good enough for me.
Old 06-07-2019, 10:25 AM   #16

I have a Honda Ridgeline 2014 AWD and I tow my 2015 19 foot Escape(1G). For most part it all works fine. I have the Tekonsha P3 brake controller and I do use the Anderson weight distribution hitch. I usually try to keep my speed down to 60mph on highways. You can feel the trailer behind you when towing, but I have never had issues with swaying or braking.

The reason I went with Ridgeline was not to have two vehicles, I use it for my everyday driving too.

I think if I lived in the mountains and not the mid-west I would go with a full size truck. If and when I decide to upgrade in my tv, I would look to full-size, with towing mirrors, integrated brake controller, etc... And keep my Ridgeline for everyday driving!

"Not all those who wander are lost.." JRR Tolkien
56reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 01:22 PM   #17

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I find that people who do what they want are rarely considerate of others nor worry about the consequences of their own actions...
That would describe 98% of the population! Unfortunately.
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 04:30 PM   #18

Trailer: ESCAPE #3 COMING - 19 FT
Quote:
Originally Posted by djfriedt@shaw.ca View Post
I wonder if anyone has a Honda Ridgeline and is towing an Escape 19? Any issues with towing? Please be honest. I haven’t purchased yet, but will if the towing isn’t a problem. Thanks so much.
Hi - just wondering if you purchased a ridgeline and if so how is it with towing the 19.

thanks in advance
kenv
ESCAPE #3, 19FT ON ORDER
TV - NOT YET, THINKING RIDGELINE OR F150
KEN AND DIANA, CALGARY
kvermeulen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 04:46 PM   #19

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvermeulen View Post
Hi - just wondering if you purchased a ridgeline and if so how is it with towing the 19.

thanks in advance
kenv
I recently looked into a bunch of different tow vehicles and wound up not getting a Ridgeline for an anticipated E-19. I'll give you my main reasons:

1) The tow rating itself (5000 lbs) is with 335 lbs of people and cargo in the car. There's kind of a sliding scale down where putting 837.5 pounds of people and stuff in the car yields a tow rating of 4500 lbs. Now......all of that makes sense as one should really be looking at what one can tow from the basis of GVWR and GCVWR anyway, but that brings me to this:
2) The Ridgeline GCVWR is just a bit under 10,000 pounds. BUT, the vehicle loses 2% off that GCVWR for every 1000 feet elevation above sea level. What this means practically is that if you drag an E-19 over the continental divide on I-70, you will be violating the GCVWR, no doubt.

If you look at the competitive mid-size pickups:
1) Colorado / Canyon have much higher tow and GCVWR, and will be more comfortable towing with the 2.8 diesel.
2) Ranger has a much higher tow and GCVWR, also performs better at altitude with the turbo.
3) Tacoma has a low GVWR when equipped with 4x4 drivetrain. Be very careful if you want a Tacoma with a 4x4 and crew cab because the super low 1155 lb cargo capacity means most E-19 owners will wind up overloaded on GVWR once you look at tongue and hitch weight, unless you carry very little in the truck.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 01:40 AM   #20

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
I always advise people to stay under 50% capacity when picking a vehicle for towing a RV long distance. My second van trailer combo was near capacity and now I always want more truck than trailer. I am not that familiar with the Ridgeline but will note that one forum member did mention he sold his Ridgeline as it spent too much time revving high and he developed oil leaks (I believe cylinder heads and intake).

It depends where you plan on taking your trailer. For me, around Ontario my 4Runner would have done OK with my Escape 19 but heading to higher elevations such as Colorado and Utah, it would not. I am waiting for the next generation of Toyota Tundra to be released. The unveiling should be next month with sales in the fall. It is supposed to be a Twin Turbo V6 or a Twin Turbo V6 Hybrid. I want something with a turbo as we plan to head to the south west again and I'll tell you the air is thin in Colorado.

As far a other choices, look to the Ford EcoBoost 2.7L or 3.5L motors.

Tags
escape 19, honda, pulling., ridgeline, towing