How do you handle the books ... - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-24-2017, 07:47 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 (Serenity).
How do you handle the books ...

How do you handle your library on tandem axles?

We are upgrading from a 13' Trillium to a 19' Escape, with completion expected around the time I press "submit' on this new thread. We tend to read a lot (Flatlandreader is a librarian, so occupational hazard) and we tend to travel with a lot of reference materials (insect and bird identification, roadside geology guides, hiking guides, backroad maps, and general fiction).

Pretty sure that we're not the only bookophiles in the Escape world. Where and how do other mobile library users store their books in their Escape? We never considered trailer-compatible shelving in our build.

I've had problems with books in my Trillium - heavy books on the back shelves (above the table) tend to become airborne when driving over moderate bumps. The safest method may be a Rubbermaid tote in the storage space under the bed.

Stephen
FlatlandFlyFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 08:01 AM   #2

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Majority of our books are e-books so storage space is usually minimal. A couple of paperbacks fit easily into the overhead compartments also.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 08:01 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Best place would be to transfer them to your computer, carrying books is heavy stuff and impacts your gas efficiency.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:15 AM   #4

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Don't have a 19 but you are not alone, even with the readers there are books all over. I don't leave the house with this many, but they seem to procreate as we travel. Glad I replaced the standard door catches with better ones. I have books in 3 places in the trailer, 2 overheads and the bottom of the closet, and some in the truck.

Is it too late to order a 21.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:35 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
After many trips, we both switched to eBooks for the simplicity and ability to take as many along was we wanted. If we go through all the one we bring along, we can buy new ones whenever we have internet access. We've also switched most of our magazine subscriptions to electronic editions.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 08:42 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 19'
Yes, we love books too. Many bird books and travel books as well as good reads. We don't have our escape yet (March 3!!!!) but we'd thought a crate in the back seat of our truck. That way the bird/travel books would be at hand when unhitched as well. We can also put a dog bed on top so that Tally, our corgi, can see out the window.
TallyHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 08:50 AM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatlandFlyFisher View Post
How do you handle your library on tandem axles?
I don't have tandem axles but I do have a library in my little 15A. I find having books and manuals on tablets or computers useless for two reasons. First, if they're in the "cloud" they're unavailable w/o wi-fi service which I seldom have. Second, browsing through a reference book is an absolute pain on an electronic device. Just my opinion.

My library is in the rear cabinet above the dining table. That area is where I read, spread out my reference materials, and organize my thoughts and plans for the day with maps and other print matter.

On edit: My reading books (fiction) are pre-loaded on my electronic device while at home.
Attached Thumbnails
Egbert Library.jpg  
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 09:19 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
I don't have tandem axles but I do have a library in my little 15A. I find having books and manuals on tablets or computers useless for two reasons. First, if they're in the "cloud" they're unavailable w/o wi-fi service which I seldom have. Second, browsing through a reference book is an absolute pain on an electronic device. Just my opinion.
Karen, you can keep lots of books on a tablet or other device used for reading. If you have hordes, some can be stored online, and then accessed whenever you do have WiFi.

You are right though, that there are certain types of books that are a pain on a tablet. Sure you can use bookmarks, but still not as quick or intuitive.

An e-reader does work fine for novels, but often I just like curling up with a book, something I am comfy with. I must admit I am slow to moving to e-books, but sure I will get there some day.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 09:43 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Mary's in a book club and several members will never give up their paper books and some are fine with eBooks. She even listens to some as audio books as she cooks and/or works in the garden. We love to listen to audio books as we travel, seems to make the miles melt away.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 01-24-2017, 10:04 AM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
We have gone to eReaders, which are especially handy when traveling. They hold thousands of books, the text can be displayed at a size that is easy on the eyes, and we can download books and holds from our home library while traveling. I get the reference book thing and do have a few paper books available when we travel. Our paper books used to take up an entire long cupboard and more.
Bob K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 10:47 AM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 (Serenity).
Thanks, everyone. I will look at the reinforced latches, after we get moved into our Escape.

I appreciate the suggestions about electronic books. We use these electronic forms extensively, where appropriate. However, electronic is not good for field guides and map books - where size and quick access are important, or for library books that are unavailable in electronic form.
FlatlandFlyFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 11:19 AM   #12

Over the years we have accumulated overstuffed shelves of various, bird, mammal, lizard, rock, native prairie plants, astronomy, etc etc guides. Now that there are app guides available for our iPhones (and for Android) I find myself using my phone more and more for instances when I want that types of guide.

What I especially love about the best bird apps now available is being able to play the various calls we are hearing on the phone to help with identification. I never could get the hang of the audio graphs of calls. Also the sheer number of photos of the birds really helps me and being in such a small package as my phone makes it easy to allows take it along.

We also have a couple of GPS topographic map programs, that allow us to have topo maps of everywhere we have so far wanted them for hikes, and record the tracks we have made. They have come in very handy at times with junctions at poorly marked trails. The downside is that the GPS programs really suck down the batteries so if we are going on long hikes we need to take along extra battery power.

I used to have a Garmin GPS handheld, but the interface was so obtuse I seemly needed the manual to do most anything. The apps for the phones are usually quite intuitive.

Old 01-24-2017, 01:00 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
I carry a "book bag." The heaviest thing in it is the notebook with all the trailer appliance and other info. There's also always our road atlas, plus a paperback novel or two, and a couple of topo maps for hiking/cycling. This usually is stowed in the tow vehicle, unless it's being used (and of course sometimes things just come out of it for a day or three). In addition to the book bag, we have an old First Aid book and and old Stars guide that stay in the trailer, in one of the overhead bins. Just added to them a new book on Cloud formations...and last summer when we were in Colorado, I also brought along a wildflower identifier and a book on back roads driving trips (which caused us to make the unfortunate trek across Hagerman Pass, so I don't know if that book will EVER come with us again).
Old 01-24-2017, 01:07 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I prefer real books, and carry them in a plastic bin in the back seat of my tow vehicle; that way I can throw the bin (as well as all the rest of the junk stored there) in the trailer if I need the back seat. I usually have somewhere between 10 - 20 unread books & give them away or trade them in when read at laundries, campground offices, etc. I don't have a TV, so I do a lot of reading.

I've reached the age where I have to keep a database on my phone to keep from picking up or buying books that I've already read - the 10 year old database is currently at 1756...
Old 01-24-2017, 01:58 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 escape 19
I bought a tote from 21 to keep our books, maps, and journal in. It is rectangular with stiff sides and a handle. The books can stand like they would on a shelf. Will stash it under the table against the front wall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LDRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 03:03 PM   #16

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
I plan to get some shelf dividers from Charlie (of RV Widget Works) so the books will stay together. haven't figured out where to put the travel guides, reading books, etc, but most likely in the cabinet over the dinette area.

I detest reading on my ipad so the few books I have on there have been there for ages and ages. It would have been faster reading the books from the library!

I always have a book with me and I'll read a few pages or so while waiting in line to buy stuff. I can't just sit around and twiddle my thumbs while waiting. And I refuse to become one of those with a smart phone always on it. (kind of an oxymoron there!)
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 03:08 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape 17 B second generation 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post

What I especially love about the best bird apps now available is being able to play the various calls we are hearing on the phone to help with identification. I never could get the hang of the audio graphs of calls. Also the sheer number of photos of the birds really helps me and being in such a small package as my phone makes it easy to allows take it along.
Which bird apps would you suggest?
hrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 03:17 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrewer View Post
Our current favorites are iBird Pro and Audubon Birds. (We have most of the Audubon collection of guide apps)

Old 01-24-2017, 03:18 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrewer View Post
I use iBirds Plus. I don't know if it is available for Android, but the search capability is great for ID ing an unknown bird. Playing bird calls can annoy live birds...
Old 01-24-2017, 03:27 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
... Playing bird calls can annoy live birds...
Good point Jon. I should have mentioned we try to use that option judiciously, but it sure can be helpful.

Tags
books, library