How fast can you get ready for a trip? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2017, 10:11 PM   #41

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
You make Lisa do your packing?
Well, she does the food, the buying, prepping and packing, but I have to do my own clothes.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 01:41 AM   #42

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Yes there are day cloths /hiking swimming then cute outfit for going into town for lunch etc. then lounging around cloths and bed cloths. Oh course it depends on the weather I need cloths for cloudy days and hot days that's a lot of cloths....
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 06:59 AM   #43

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
How fast can you get ready for a trip?

Me, 30 minutes.
Lisa, 2 days.
Under the bus she goes!

I wanted to make the point that the gear/provision choices are very different for someone in a 17 vs a 21.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 07:56 AM   #44
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
I wanted to make the point that the gear/provision choices are very different for someone in a 17 vs a 21.
Why? Don't both types of owners wear clothes, eat and cook? I'd think the differences in provisions would have more to do with how many people. I only need one dinner plate, but a couple would need two.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 08:42 AM   #45

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Why? Don't both types of owners wear clothes, eat and cook? I'd think the differences in provisions would have more to do with how many people. I only need one dinner plate, but a couple would need two.
For me it would be a matter of amount of the basics and what you define as "necessary". For example, there is discussion in another thread about toasters with options ranging from an electric toaster powered thru an inverter down to the minimalist option of "toasting" bread in a dry fry pan rather than any additional tool. A camper in the 19 er has less pressure to make choices like "If I bring the toaster I'll have to store some food where the paper towels go, and where will we put them?" I would say that we generally do fine in the summer. It is in the winter with extra gear and clothing where space usage issues arise the most. We splurge with 4 dinner plates cause they nest!
Attachment 24882
Attached Images

yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 08:51 AM   #46

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
Under the bus she goes!

Or a 15.. i have to choose to take A or B but not both. For example, last trip I took a Dutch oven stand. This time I took the stand out and put the Dutch oven table in. With a bigger rig or maybe bigger tow I'd be able to just leave both there.

Also if everything rode in the trailer, chairs, etc, could stay loaded. But they go in the car so get unloaded between trips.

Though I really think what takes me the longest time is doing things piecemeal- I have packing bags but they went out to the trailer 2 or 3 at a time instead of all at once. Same for food. I can get more organized there. This time I had to put it together but now I have a bin for all the DO stuff (kettles, tongs, lid lifter, lid stand, chimney) so it can all go out at once if I'm going to use it; just have to decide one or two ovens.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 11:32 AM   #47

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
As to gear and equipment, anything that doesn't stay in the trailer goes on one rack in my garage. That way I see it and decide if I need it this trip. Examples include a water tank for refilling fresh water, a gray water tank, propane fire pit, etc.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:53 PM   #48

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
when i cleaned out my 17 i saw how much a 17 can hold. i hope to put far less in my 5.0! when i pack sometimes i say do i need tongs? (etc) but i don't check to see if i already have them in the trailer so... i unpacked 4 sets of tongs, 4 spatulas, etc.... ! crazy!!!
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 01:52 PM   #49

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
when i cleaned out my 17 i saw how much a 17 can hold. i hope to put far less in my 5.0! when i pack sometimes i say do i need tongs? (etc) but i don't check to see if i already have them in the trailer so... i unpacked 4 sets of tongs, 4 spatulas, etc.... ! crazy!!!
Yea, I can see how the weight of all those spatulas really adds up and could start to impact your towing capacity after a while.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 01:55 PM   #50

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
We need a bigger swap table next year!!!
Old 06-16-2017, 04:03 PM   #51

Quote:
We need a bigger swap table next year!!!
I had a ton bunch of stuff to bring, but was scrambling so much just to get the trailer ready, I forgot. Not sure I want to keep it all until next year though. I have a move coming up in less than two months.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 06-16-2017, 05:30 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I had a ton bunch of stuff to bring, but was scrambling so much just to get the trailer ready, I forgot. Not sure I want to keep it all until next year though. I have a move coming up in less than two months.
Why not throw it on the table here for all to see? For some Calgary is not that far.
Was even in beautiful down town this past Wednesday. What a gorgeous city!
Old 06-16-2017, 09:38 PM   #53

Quote:
Why not throw it on the table here for all to see? For some Calgary is not that far.
Was even in beautiful down town this past Wednesday. What a gorgeous city!
You were in town, and you never called on us? I am heart broken.
Old 06-17-2017, 01:06 AM   #54

Sorry Jim, Had better things to do
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0411.JPG  
Old 06-17-2017, 07:46 AM   #55

Quote:
Sorry Jim, Had better things to do
Very understandable. Congrats to (I assume) your daughter.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:12 PM   #56

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Why wear clothes?

This reminds me of a story. My sister taught 4th grade. They played a game called Oregon Trail. The kids quickly figured out that when they bought provisions for the trip, there was no reason to buy clothes.
Old 06-18-2017, 02:26 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
This reminds me of a puzzle: there are relatively few people who are suffering from celiac disease (and God be with them) yet you see "gluten-free" this and that in every grocery now. But there are far more people who are lactose-intolerant, yet it seems that there is cheese in everything. I recently discovered that Canadians are as bad as Americans about this, so it's not just our dairy subsidies that are driving the use of dairy products.

I am very lactose-intolerant and find this a nuisance, to say the least. If I ever ate ice cream again I think it would kill me, and if I eat something with cheese in it, um, it's bad for our atmosphere. Why aren't there more prepared foods without cheese?

Yes, I know I need to cook more for myself.
This ^ you have to specify no cheese on a salad ... I am not sure what year they started putting it on salads but it wasn't done when I was younger. Only on certain types of salad.

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote