How fast can you get ready for a trip? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-14-2017, 05:10 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
How fast can you get ready for a trip?

I'm slow. I don't know how I'd do it if I were still working and had to get ready- it takes me days. Slower than usual this time as it is a ten day trip and I don't want to do laundry, plus had some changes to make and upkeep (like oil change on the car and new tires on the car) but it still seems like even a weekend takes a long time.

How long do you take, and how much stays in the trailer all the time? What do you do to be more efficient?
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 05:16 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
My trailer is completely outfitted in the interior except for food and clothing. I bring it home the day before to plug in the refer and fill the freshwater tank. Food goes in the next morning and clothes go in a big tote that I load up in my bedroom and keep in the bed of my truck. I also have one other tote with oddball things like chocks, levelers, power cord, and such; it goes in the bed of the truck, too. And I'm off...if I can get hitched up which is another story.

Edited: Oops...did not include grocery shopping or food prep in the above. I prep the veggies to save room and also take some pre-frozen "entrees" like salmon steaks, soup, etc.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 05:19 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
We keep "camping clothes" in the trailer, which we might remove once or twice a year to launder or change over. Pretty much all the gear we need to camp, including the contents of the storage box, plates, cups, bowls, utensils, etc are kept in the camper. Blankets, linens, towels, etc. are stored there as well. About the only thing we have to do before setting out is load the food in the pantry and fridge, load the truck with things we don't store in the trailer (like camping chairs, our propane grill and firepit, and an ice chest) and hit the road. Might take a couple hours.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 06-14-2017, 05:20 PM   #4

How long does it take you to pack the food and clothing totes? (Good idea- but packing those things takes me a long time, too.)
Old 06-14-2017, 05:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
How long does it take you to pack the food and clothing totes?
Clothing...ten minutes as I take all my camping clothes. Living in the PNW, I'm prepared for everything...even snow if it should come (and it has).

Food...not including prep, maybe 30 minutes. I tend to take all the same foodstuffs so don't have to think much.

Now you didn't ask but after coming home, it will take me all day to recover. Laundry, empty the trailer, re-stock the (clean) linens, propane tank change-out, etc.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
Old 06-14-2017, 05:29 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
Now you didn't ask but after coming home, it will take me all day to recover. Laundry, empty the trailer, propane tank change-out, etc.
That's true for us too Karen. Takes much longer to clean up after a trip than to set out on one. Empty and clean the fridge, clear out the pantry, refill the propane tanks, drain the water heater, wash, restock the clothes, clean the floor, strip the bed, etc.

But, of course it means the trailer is ready to go for the next one.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 06-14-2017, 05:34 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
After 12 years with my Scamp, I think I've finally got smart. Days gone by, I would go camping, come home, do laundry, put clean clothes away. Got ready to go camping, take the SAME clothes out of drawers and closets and put them into the trailer. Now, I come home, do the laundry and those clothes go right back into the trailer. Yes, I did have to buy a few things. I traded the older stuff in the house for the new items. But at least now, I know when I go camping, I have plenty of ummmmm..... SOCKS already packed.

Really, I'm big on menu planning and grocery shop the morning I leave.

Other than any electronics and my bicycle (if I take it), it's getting easier and faster to "Get out of Dodge."
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 05:38 PM   #8

Trailer: 2016 21' Classic
We keep the camper loaded and ready except for food, camping attire, and beer. It's plugged in the day before leaving to allow the frig. to cool. It's in storage 45 min. from home, so have to drive there to plug in; while there, clothes get put into camper and it gets a light cleanup if needed. Morning of trip, it gets food and all other necessities. All camping supplies stay in the camper.
titanizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 05:38 PM   #9

Trailer: 21' Escape 2017
I just got my trailer but have been going to my cabin for years. It takes me hours!!! I try to get most of it ready the night and days before but it still takes me forever. I do have two birds and three dogs that travel with me but they are the least of the problem. I can't really explain why it takes me so long but since I will be going full time in the near future it won't be an issue.
laurah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 05:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
But, of course it means the trailer is ready to go for the next one.
I'm a firm believer in that. I've improved on my breaking camp routine, too. I do the dishes the night before so at the most I have my tea makings to clean up in the morning. (As a solo traveler, I only do dishes every other day--they soak in the dishpan outside and out of sight.) I also have gotten in the habit of changing out the bed linens the night before so the dirty ones are already in the laundry bag. Little things like that simplify my "get-up-and-go" routine on the day of departure and I'm less likely to arrive home and run into the house screaming "I just can't do it all today!"
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
Old 06-14-2017, 06:06 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
As other have said, at the end of a trip is the hard part. Everything gets cleaned, washed, replenished, etc. as necessary. So that:
Day before the trip:
-Plug in electrical to garage 30A receptacle, & level trailer prior to starting frig. for cool-down.
-Start frig.
-Fill fresh water tank.
-plug in brake controller in tow.
-Check out tow: check fluids, windshield wipers and washer fluid, tire pressures.
On the day (last time, it took 1 hr from end of breakfast to hitting the road):
-hook up - 15-30 minutes.
-load clothes (that aren't already in trailer)
-load food.
-Load back of tow with grill, camp stove, folding table, ice chest, fishing gear (always!), musical instruments, etc.
-final checklist and walk-around inspection.
-Hit the road!
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 06:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Now, I come home, do the laundry and those clothes go right back into the trailer.
That doesn't work for me; all I wear is camping clothes.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:12 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
I'll admit - I'm very meticulous about checking a long list of stuff "is this still in the Escape?"

but I am getting better, and trusting that we try to not remove stuff from the Escape.

good thread.
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 06:17 PM   #14

The dogs take me awhile. I keep their food in a drawer in the house (not bagged) so I have to bag it for the trip. Then sort meds out for Jack and if the trip is longer than a week, collect them to resort again in a week. Belly bands and pads for Oliver. I do have dishes and a water dish that stays in the trailer, though.

I can see where dedicated camping clothes would help- but that's what I wear every day since I'm retired. (What I should do is use plastic drawers and live out of them at home, too- but I like my dresser!)

I think I do things too piecemeal, though. Consolidating so that I make fewer trips to the trailer will help. Most trips will take less time than this one as I don't always switch out the cooking equipment (I did) or wash all the bedding (I did since I got a new mattress).

Also I'm using a checklist but it is the first time with that list so takes longer to check off items.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:18 PM   #15

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
A couple hours, a bit longer if it's the first trip of the spring or heading south for the winter.

Like the rest, it takes a lot more time when returning.

If I'm going by myself, I can be ready in an hour.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:34 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Our Escape is left fully outfitted, except for perishable foods and personal items. We regard it as an emergency evacuation shelter as well as a camping trailer so it is kept mostly ready to stay in or bug out quickly. In AZ with the year round climate we can hit the road in an hour or less depending on the destination and most of that is getting it out of storage about 10 min away.
We had to evacuate a fire in the forest at our cabin last year when the smoke and ash got unbearable and bugged out in under an hour Escape in tow to a safe campground. That included loading some items we wanted in case the cabin burned down.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 06:40 PM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I have a 4 page check list & usually spend 3-4 days getting ready, although that is for a 5-6 month trip. During the summers, when I have the trailer mostly packed, it only takes a couple of hours.

Unfortunately, I watched the Escape 17 leave my driveway for the last time this afternoon. Sold to a beginning couple, including a 3 1/2 hour orientation.

For my next trip I have to pack everything in the truck (or, it it won't fit, rent a U-Haul) & head to Chilliwack for the new 21!
Old 06-14-2017, 06:50 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
That doesn't work for me; all I wear is camping clothes.
Perfect. We get around to most of the perodic checks sometime during the trip, not before. Half day to get ready.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 07:04 PM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Being able to leave most/alot of gear in the trailer is a wonderful improvement from lugging it back and forth.

Currently sorting out what I believe Glenn calls the "box of (rv) shame" to lighten the trailer a bit.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 10:12 PM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: All... I hate to say it but... when it's time to leave, my get up and go, already went!!! Thankfully my DW stocks the pantry, makes the bed, and packs our clothes. Once were under way I start to remember things and ask if they're on board!!! If not we can always get them somewhere. That's why there's so many stores in every town and city. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote