How many escape owners Not retired ? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2017, 06:21 AM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Cool How many escape owners Not retired ?

I been on the forum a while and am noticing that most people seem to be retired. Me and my wife are thinking of a new escape. where not retired . we notices lots of friends have big campers and don't seem to use them enough to justify the cost.Just wanted to get a idea from the non retired people how mush time do they spend camping. we have a casita now and don't get to use it as much as we like. sometimes it because we don't have the room to take along my granddaughter. I thinking a 19' escape would solve that problem.where at least 10-14 years from retiring. For us a escape is a large investment. I know that in the end it would be up to us how much it got used, but i wanted to get a idea how much time the non retired people got to use it.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 06:53 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
I been on the forum a while and am noticing that most people seem to be retired. Me and my wife are thinking of a new escape. where not retired . we notices lots of friends have big campers and don't seem to use them enough to justify the cost.Just wanted to get a idea from the non retired people how mush time do they spend camping. we have a casita now and don't get to use it as much as we like. sometimes it because we don't have the room to take along my granddaughter. I thinking a 19' escape would solve that problem.where at least 10-14 years from retiring. For us a escape is a large investment. I know that in the end it would be up to us how much it got used, but i wanted to get a idea how much time the non retired people got to use it.
Hi: NEWYORKHILLBILLY... You'd be very welcome to attend our Niagara Wine Escape Rally weekend Sept 15- 17 near Niagara Falls Canada. There you will meet all ages of campers some with children.
We used our first 5.0 Escape every week and weekend we were off work and more now retired, but it was still winterized more than not. You'd have 10-14 years to pay for your trailer as we only had 5 prior to saying "sayonara" to work. Retirement is the best job I've ever had... so good I should have done it first!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 06:53 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Like you said it's up to you have much you use it. We are not retired and moved up from a Casita to a 19'. We take 3-4 weeks of vacation. We also try to plan at least 1 weekend a month. We may get a little more time off than most people that are still working. We do plan all of our vacations around camping and some people may not want to do that but it just how we roll. Don't wait for something that may never come, live for today.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:03 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 (Serenity).
I'm about 20 years from retirement ... and we are just getting our 19' Escape.

Given the durability and lifetime of fibreglass trailers (we currently have a 1979 13' Trillium), I'm not worried about using it enough per year for its cost. Have a few neat trips planned for 2017 (Utah in late March/early April, Yellowstone in August, trout fishing any time I can get away...)

Stephen
FlatlandFlyFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 07:28 AM   #5

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Retirement is the best job I've ever had... so good I should have done it first!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
I have to agree with you there ALF! When people ask me how I like retirement, I always tell them, " if I had known how great it was, I would have retired right out of High Scool"
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 08:11 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The nice thing about Escapes is when you are retired and feel like you may want a newer one, it will hold it's value and surprise you if you want to sell and upgrade.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:14 AM   #7

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I retired a few years ago just after I got the Escape. For 8 years before that while working we had a similar sized travel trailer. Used the trailer 3 or 4 weeks plus a few weekends each year.

I'm around 10 or 12 weeks a year right now.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:18 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The nice thing about Escapes is when you are retired and feel like you may want a newer one, it will hold it's value and surprise you if you want to sell and upgrade.
Or if your LP tanks need refilling?

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 08:59 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape 1721
My wife and I are at least 20 years from retirement and are moving from a Casita to an Escape like yourself. We're going to work out of it on some trips to allow us to travel more and farther distances. Casita's are awesome, but too small to work out of. Historically, we've spent about 4 weeks per year camping in the Casita.

Michael
rotateclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 09:31 AM   #10

Trailer: 2023 21NE "Hardley II" 2021 Toyota Tacoma (Diesel Jeep stranded us twice so it had to go)
We're probably (hopefully) 10 years from retirement, and our '19 is sitting at ETI waiting to be picked up.

Since 2007 we've had a small tent trailer that we pull with my motorcycle, or our car. No bathroom, no kitchen, no heat, no air conditioning. That said, it's a huge step up from tent camping off the bike, and we have loved it.

Each summer we take a 1-2 week long trip plus 3 to 6 weekends depending on the year.

Right now we have to limit our spring and fall camping because of weather. We had a disastrous trip one October when the steady rain unexpectedly turned to heavy snow in the middle of the night. Besides the cold, using a soft sided camper also means that we have to use bear boxes at at some parks.

The 19' is going to remove a lot of those restrictions and we plan to get much more use out of it. Having another bed also means that my in laws can join us for some trips.
Jimrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 09:38 AM   #11

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrules View Post

The 19' is going to remove a lot of those restrictions and we plan to get much more use out of it. ....
And you two are gonna have an awful lot of fun with it!

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 01-22-2017, 10:08 AM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Retirement is still more than a decade away for me. The trailer is there because I want to be able to go whenever I get the chance. Do I camp as much as I'd like? No. But we do go whenever we have the time. I am glad I didn't wait. I've seen all too often, someone who waited too long, and within a year or two of getting their trailer, they can no longer travel for health reasons. I say get out there and live, whether you're retired or not. Tomorrow is not guaranteed.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:10 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
... I've seen all too often, someone who waited too long, and within a year or two of getting their trailer, they can no longer travel for health reasons. I say get out there and live, whether you're retired or not.

Old 01-22-2017, 10:14 AM   #14

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Too many people I have known passed away before retirement.....if you can retire early, do it. I read somewhere every year you work past 55 shortens your life by 2 years.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:16 AM   #15

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Have had our 19' for four years and it will be close to ten more years before we retire. Averaged about 30 nights per year the first few years we had it, and about 20 nights last year. Expecting the number of nights using the Escape to further decrease in 2017 as my back country tent camping nights are going to jump this year. As I get closer and into retirement, my expectation is that the usage will take a huge jump.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 10:18 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
... I read somewhere every year you work past 55 shortens your life by 2 years.
I read that same study, motivated me to retire early at 55 with a greatly reduced pension, and I would do it again!

Money can buy medical care, but it can't buy health! And as Leon says, caskets don't have pockets.

Old 01-22-2017, 10:31 AM   #17

Trailer: 2023 21NE "Hardley II" 2021 Toyota Tacoma (Diesel Jeep stranded us twice so it had to go)
Last summer my father spent months in the hospital. Yesterday I was a pallbearer at my stepmothers funeral. On Wednesday I'll be at a funeral for one of my uncles. Life is a balancing act but funerals and illnesses sure put waiting in perspective.

Our March pick up can't come soon enough.
Jimrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:02 AM   #18

Trailer: 2011 Escape 5.0; previous 2008 Escape 17'
We have owned 2 Escape trailers (although have been camping for as long as we can remember). A 2008 17' and a 2011 5.0. We did not retire until one whole month ago (yes, should have done it right out of high school) so have been using our Escape for the last 8 years on weekends and vacations. We definitely feel that we have gotten good value out of our purchase. We now have the freedom to camp mid-week and for longer periods of time or just anytime we feel like it! Lovin' it - retirement and our Escape!!
Conuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:06 AM   #19

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
I'm 55 and my wife as Billy D and the HooDoos would say is "50 and nifty". On my second career, retired after 22 years of military service. I absolutely love my current profession, and currently have no plans of retiring full time. If and when that does happen, career number three will be a Bluegrass fiddle playing bicycle mechanic (Which will most likely be not as successful). Scott

Scott, Lori and Fritz the Schnauzer.
FAT BIKES are FUN in the SNOW!
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:13 AM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I have had a travel trailer from the time our kids were little. Cannot imagine not having one to take off with.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote