How soon after hatch can an all molded towable be waxed? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-15-2014, 09:07 AM   #1
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
How soon after hatch can an all molded towable be waxed?

Bit of a long title, but asks the question. If the stars aline, I'll be picking up my new 5er eleven days before I leave for the Oregon Gathering. I'd like to get the first coat of wax on it before I leave, do I need to wait for a period of time for the gelcoat to outgas?

BTW: I'm thinking about putting this on the nose section: RejeX: Nothing Sticks but the Shine! Recommended by a couple of Scamp 5er owners and several boat owners.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 11:09 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
When we picked up ours Reace said it was fine to wax. In fact I did the front of Blue before we headed home .... and once again Mary thought I was nuts!

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 11:25 AM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #3
I asked Reace the same question. He said it could be waxed right away. So get after it right away!!
TAfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 11:42 AM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
That's what I needed to know. THANKS!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 11:54 AM   #5

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Bit of a long title, but asks the question. If the stars aline, I'll be picking up my new 5er eleven days before I leave for the Oregon Gathering. I'd like to get the first coat of wax on it before I leave, do I need to wait for a period of time for the gelcoat to outgas?

BTW: I'm thinking about putting this on the nose section: RejeX: Nothing Sticks but the Shine! Recommended by a couple of Scamp 5er owners and several boat owners.
Can you use this to bring back shine if there is some oxidation starting?
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:29 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMLNM View Post
Can you use this to bring back shine if there is some oxidation starting?
The company home page says "RejeX contains no polishing additives", and the product page says
Quote:
RejeX is not meant to be used on porous surfaces, highly oxidized painted surfaces, or to fill fine scratches. RejeX can be applied in multiple coats, allowing 8 hours curing time between coats for deeper color and greater depth of gloss. RejeX has a higher refractive index than waxes, so it produces richer, deeper looking colors and a lustrous long-lasting finish.
It adds gloss, but it doesn't polish out roughness, fill in roughness, or remove oxidized material. I suspect that an actual polishing, followed by a "wax" like this for shine and protection (hopefully from further oxidation), would be more effective on an oxidized surface.

I've now read their FAQ, and this seems relevant:
Quote:
Why can’t RejeX be used on porous, oxidized paint?
RejeX contains no cleaning agents or micro-abrasives, which are contained in most paste waxes and all polishes. RejeX was formulated in this manner in order to be completely safe to use on airplane windshields. As such, it's also completely safe to use on glass, Plexiglas, Eisenglass (the clear vinyl windows used on boat canvas and some convertibles) and all clear coat finishes.

Without these polishing micro-abrasives, RejeX will not compound/polish off oxidized paint. Therefore, it is important to first use a polish to remove the old, weathered paint before applying RejeX. Using RejeX as directed will prevent further weathering of your vehicle's finish.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:46 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Donna,

The rejex looks interesting. Here is a link to a product that has gotten good reviews from the boating folks.

Dave

Bow To Stern (BTS) Marine All Surface Protectant for Boat Interiors, Exteriors, Gel Coat and Vinyl - Home
dave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 03:30 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Donna,
I used Rejex on my Casita nose when I picked it up. It was recommended to me to keep bug splatter from being too hard to remove after the long drive home. It worked great and I have never used anything else as slick feeling as that product. Good stuff. I will use it on the front of my 21 when I pick it up.
John G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 04:08 PM   #9

Trailer: sold 1980 Boler 13' dreaming of Escape 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by John G. View Post
Donna,
I used Rejex on my Casita nose when I picked it up. It was recommended to me to keep bug splatter from being too hard to remove after the long drive home. It worked great and I have never used anything else as slick feeling as that product. Good stuff. I will use it on the front of my 21 when I pick it up.
Hi John,
I assume you used the Rejex on your whole Casita when you got home. How often do you have to recoat it and how has the gel coat held up over time?
Thx Jim
mitsui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:29 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 15' Escape
Thanks for the info, Donna. Maybe I will be able to contribute some helpful information once we have some experiences in our Escape. I am always checking this forum for good advice and appreciate everything you and the others have to offer!
Cindy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:10 AM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsui View Post
Hi John,
I assume you used the Rejex on your whole Casita when you got home. How often do you have to recoat it and how has the gel coat held up over time?
Thx Jim
Hi Donna,
I used Rejex when I first bought the camper. I used for the entire camper and it does shine on a new camper and is slick. Since then I have used many priducts and have not really stuck to any brand. I tend to use spray on products like BTS because they are easy and I am more likely to use whats easy.
John
John G. is offline   Reply With Quote