Humidity - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2015, 07:40 PM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Yeah, that's why I like the EvaDry. When the beads turn pink, plug it in and when the beads turn blue it's ready to go. Lasts years.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:33 PM   #22

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Changed my mind about sprinkling raw rice on the floor. I like Ron's idea.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:18 PM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Changed my mind about sprinkling raw rice on the floor. I like Ron's idea.
Yah, no doubt, because when you have a supply of junk too good to throw out you can build it for free.

I like it because it's done the job for me for years and also it's trouble free. No moving parts, the most work would be to change the light bulb. I also believe the convection current it creates moves more air than most people would think.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 09:23 PM   #24

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I've had good luck with one of these http://www.amazon.com/Davis-Instrume...=dehumidifiers
Old 01-29-2015, 09:54 PM   #25

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
As we discussed last year...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
It's too bad they claim this is a "dryer" - it is, in fact, a small (70 watt) heater. If a small heat source helps that's fine, and this is suitable because it is intended to be left on continuously and unattended... it just doesn't remove any moisture so it is not a dryer or dehumidifier.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 10:25 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape 19 26/May/2014 Sold New trailer 2016 Bigfoot 25B21FB
I also second Ron's design with the light bulb and the taller dryer vent pipe being used .This create more upword draft movement of the air with out the use of a eletric fan.

Mark & Karen Van Tiem 2014 Escape 19 sold, Now a Bigfoot 25B21FB Travel Trailer
markvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 10:37 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by markvt View Post
I also second Ron's design with the light bulb and the taller dryer vent pipe being used .
That would work, but would also tend to deliver all the heat to the ceiling area... maybe that's okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markvt View Post
This create more upword draft movement of the air with out the use of a eletric fan.
The device is using electricity anyway, the fan would use very little, and the energy would go into air movement then end up as heat either way. Is the benefit of avoiding the fan for reliability, perhaps, or to simplify construction (less wiring)?
Old 01-30-2015, 12:34 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
That would work, but would also tend to deliver all the heat to the ceiling area... maybe that's okay.

The device is using electricity anyway, the fan would use very little, and the energy would go into air movement then end up as heat either way. Is the benefit of avoiding the fan for reliability, perhaps, or to simplify construction (less wiring)?
My goal was to gather cold moist air from floor level, warm it and have the air current go up and out a slightly cracked open vent thereby reducing overall humidity. Not letting the warmed, moisture carrying air to escape would only cause it to condense overhead and be zero gain.

When I started using this type of unit in boats it was because it would often sit for a month or more unattended. My personal comfort level is greater for a device that has no moving parts. I've had various small fan units gather lint etc. and start to have the fan shaft start running dry of lubricant and head towards seizing up.

Other types of units also work there's and more than one way to defeat moisture related issues. In the old days we used to remove cushions and bedding etc. but as time has gone by we haven't seen the need to do so because we've never had any issues with the good old light bulb.

Ron
Old 01-30-2015, 12:35 AM   #29

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
We've used the same device as Bob for years now--first with the Boler now with the Escape.
Doug was just out there the other day--everything is fine and unless we lose power for long periods (was out for 12 hours yesterday) I expect it will stay fine.
Have a large car cover covering the top half-(covers the front box/propane tanks etc) and have the max fan opened...Lots of trees opposite us so it keeps it somewhat cleaner...
Nice to be able to park it on our property near enough to be plugged in all winter --in the summer we just depend on the solar..
Old 01-30-2015, 05:45 AM   #30
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
The problem with the light bulb, is US residents can't get incandescent bulbs any longer. LEDs don't generate heat.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 05:51 AM   #31

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Florida's climate is wonderful this time of year. Anyplace where you can comfortably wear a T-shirt in January is preferable to wearing a ski parka accessorized with a snow shovel, at least to me. However, there is a price one pays in 90+ degree (F) temps and 90%+ humidity from June to October. When I had my Scamp, I place a 30 pint dehumidifier on the countertop and used the hose setup rather than the bin you have to manually dump. The bin would fill up in a day and a half. I cut the hose to the proper length and ran it into the sink, through the gray tank, and then through another hose out of the dump cap. I had to purchase a cap that had the hose attachment threads molded into it. That hose directed the water to a landscape planting behind my carport/trailerport, which has full sides but the ends are open. The dehumidifier, which may be expensive to run but keeps the humidity below 50%, is sitting in the den eagerly awaiting the arrival of my TA this coming summer.
Old 01-30-2015, 05:53 AM   #32

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
The problem with the light bulb, is US residents can't get incandescent bulbs any longer. LEDs don't generate heat.
"Yet another reason to purchase a Campfire in a Can," he said, with his tongue in his cheek!
Old 01-30-2015, 09:10 AM   #33
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Very true Donna, although its a phased ban that started with the 100 watt, then 75, and so on. We stocked up when there was supposed to be an outright ban on all of them in January 2013. For most household uses, we prefer the LEDs now, but incandescent bulbs aren't just for light as you well pointed out.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:05 AM   #34

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Not quite true... Appliance incandescents are not included. Those for ovens don't have a replacement LED yet even though refrigerators are making the switch to LEDs. So... There will be some kind around for awhile yet.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 11:23 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
When I had my Scamp, I place a 30 pint dehumidifier on the countertop and used the hose setup rather than the bin you have to manually dump. The bin would fill up in a day and a half. I cut the hose to the proper length and ran it into the sink, through the gray tank, and then through another hose out of the dump cap.
Very nice setup!
Old 01-30-2015, 11:26 AM   #36

Quote:
Incandescent light bulbs are going away in both Canada and the U.S. - phased in both cases, leaving many still available, but maybe not the ones people want to use for this purpose.

A light bulb is not well suited as a heat source anyway, especially one which is unattended. If you want to add a bit of heat to manage condensation, the low-power heaters sold for this purpose (such as the one mentioned by Jim) are better. There are various other low-power low-temperature heaters as well, some without fans; for instance, heat tape sold to keep pipes from freezing is available in a range of lengths, and thus a range of power levels (but the heat tapes normally switch on only near freezing).

LEDs (and fluorescent tubes) do produce heat, but since they both produce light much more efficiently than an incandescent bulb, they produce much less waste heat, and would be completely inappropriate as heaters... but again, there are heaters for that purpose.

LEDs used for interior lighting in a trailer will typically run at pretty low power, and thus low heat output. On the other hand, anyone who thinks that LEDs don't produce any heat (which is a common myth) should feel the housing of a high-power LED light fixture. Even my 8-watt flashlight gets pretty warm - the LED headlights which are now becoming common must run more power than that even on low beam and will warm up. The massive LED light bars now popular as accessories for pickup trucks have big heat sinks on the backs of their housings, and should get quite toasty. None of these things would be used for heat in a trailer, of course.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:26 AM   #37

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
My older, larger LEDs certainly kicked out heat (no where near like an incandescent), but the newer ones do seem much less so. As Brian posted.

Last time I looked, you could still get the "tri-light" bulbs (100-150-200 etc) locally, as well as the honking big 300 watt industrial/farm use type ones. Overkill for sure, but an option for those interested.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 11:26 AM   #38

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
Not quite true... Appliance incandescents are not included. Those for ovens don't have a replacement LED yet even though refrigerators are making the switch to LEDs. So... There will be some kind around for awhile yet.
Seems like Amazon has not been informed, they will sell you any sized bulb..
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...de%2Caps%2C213
Old 01-30-2015, 11:28 AM   #39

Quote:
I also use this design for several other locations like my dahlia storage area, my motorcycle shed etc. When the first hint that incandescent bulbs were on their way out I stocked up big time. I'm sure some others did also because the store ran out of stock several times.

Ron
Old 01-30-2015, 11:32 AM   #40

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Seems like Amazon has not been informed, they will sell you any sized bulb..
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...de%2Caps%2C213
I can't speak for amazon Jim, but locally it was more a case of "stores can't order more units after XXXX date" than "no sales after XXX date". ie, clear out old stock.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote