Humidity - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2015, 06:51 AM   #31

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Florida's climate is wonderful this time of year. Anyplace where you can comfortably wear a T-shirt in January is preferable to wearing a ski parka accessorized with a snow shovel, at least to me. However, there is a price one pays in 90+ degree (F) temps and 90%+ humidity from June to October. When I had my Scamp, I place a 30 pint dehumidifier on the countertop and used the hose setup rather than the bin you have to manually dump. The bin would fill up in a day and a half. I cut the hose to the proper length and ran it into the sink, through the gray tank, and then through another hose out of the dump cap. I had to purchase a cap that had the hose attachment threads molded into it. That hose directed the water to a landscape planting behind my carport/trailerport, which has full sides but the ends are open. The dehumidifier, which may be expensive to run but keeps the humidity below 50%, is sitting in the den eagerly awaiting the arrival of my TA this coming summer.

"What a long, strange trip it's been....."
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 06:53 AM   #32

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
The problem with the light bulb, is US residents can't get incandescent bulbs any longer. LEDs don't generate heat.
"Yet another reason to purchase a Campfire in a Can," he said, with his tongue in his cheek!

"What a long, strange trip it's been....."
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:10 AM   #33

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
The problem with the light bulb, is US residents can't get incandescent bulbs any longer. LEDs don't generate heat.
Very true Donna, although its a phased ban that started with the 100 watt, then 75, and so on. We stocked up when there was supposed to be an outright ban on all of them in January 2013. For most household uses, we prefer the LEDs now, but incandescent bulbs aren't just for light as you well pointed out.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:05 PM   #34

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Not quite true... Appliance incandescents are not included. Those for ovens don't have a replacement LED yet even though refrigerators are making the switch to LEDs. So... There will be some kind around for awhile yet.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 12:23 PM   #35

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
When I had my Scamp, I place a 30 pint dehumidifier on the countertop and used the hose setup rather than the bin you have to manually dump. The bin would fill up in a day and a half. I cut the hose to the proper length and ran it into the sink, through the gray tank, and then through another hose out of the dump cap.
Very nice setup!
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 12:26 PM   #36

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Incandescent light bulbs are going away in both Canada and the U.S. - phased in both cases, leaving many still available, but maybe not the ones people want to use for this purpose.

A light bulb is not well suited as a heat source anyway, especially one which is unattended. If you want to add a bit of heat to manage condensation, the low-power heaters sold for this purpose (such as the one mentioned by Jim) are better. There are various other low-power low-temperature heaters as well, some without fans; for instance, heat tape sold to keep pipes from freezing is available in a range of lengths, and thus a range of power levels (but the heat tapes normally switch on only near freezing).

LEDs (and fluorescent tubes) do produce heat, but since they both produce light much more efficiently than an incandescent bulb, they produce much less waste heat, and would be completely inappropriate as heaters... but again, there are heaters for that purpose.

LEDs used for interior lighting in a trailer will typically run at pretty low power, and thus low heat output. On the other hand, anyone who thinks that LEDs don't produce any heat (which is a common myth) should feel the housing of a high-power LED light fixture. Even my 8-watt flashlight gets pretty warm - the LED headlights which are now becoming common must run more power than that even on low beam and will warm up. The massive LED light bars now popular as accessories for pickup trucks have big heat sinks on the backs of their housings, and should get quite toasty. None of these things would be used for heat in a trailer, of course.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 12:26 PM   #37

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
My older, larger LEDs certainly kicked out heat (no where near like an incandescent), but the newer ones do seem much less so. As Brian posted.

Last time I looked, you could still get the "tri-light" bulbs (100-150-200 etc) locally, as well as the honking big 300 watt industrial/farm use type ones. Overkill for sure, but an option for those interested.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:26 PM   #38
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
Not quite true... Appliance incandescents are not included. Those for ovens don't have a replacement LED yet even though refrigerators are making the switch to LEDs. So... There will be some kind around for awhile yet.
Seems like Amazon has not been informed, they will sell you any sized bulb..
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...de%2Caps%2C213
Old 01-30-2015, 12:28 PM   #39

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
I also use this design for several other locations like my dahlia storage area, my motorcycle shed etc. When the first hint that incandescent bulbs were on their way out I stocked up big time. I'm sure some others did also because the store ran out of stock several times.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 12:32 PM   #40

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Seems like Amazon has not been informed, they will sell you any sized bulb..
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...de%2Caps%2C213
I can't speak for amazon Jim, but locally it was more a case of "stores can't order more units after XXXX date" than "no sales after XXX date". ie, clear out old stock.