Ian n' Paddy's Adventures - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2011, 05:33 PM   #1

Trailer: All Escape(s)
Ian n' Paddy's Adventures

Hello Everyone,

I know I posted earlier about Ian and Paddy but I cannot find it right now so that I can update their adventure.

Ian and Paddy currently own a 2007, Escape 5.0, in fact this is the very first Escape 5.0 we manufactured which was their second Escape trailer. What is special about Ian and Paddy is that they have recently accomplished a feat that I believe no other Escape owner has managed to do so far. - Yes even Dirk !!!! They have taken their Escape trailer to every state and province in North America.

Hello Reace & Tammy,

Our quest is complete. We have now taken an Escape Trailer to every corner of this continent, every province and territory in Canada and every state in the continental USA.

We are having a martini for Paddy and a rum and orange for myself. Tomorrow we will see the Kennedy Presidential Library and then go out for dinner and celebrate in style.

Cheers,

Ian, Paddy, Gypsy and Rubea II

So I promised Ian I would update/start this posting by adding a photo for him and he will fill in the rest of the information about their adventure.

I will add some more emails from Ian for everyone to read.

Tammy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ian n Paddy.jpg (70.5 KB, 160 views)

reace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:51 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Re: Ian n' Paddy's Adventures

Hi: Reace& Tammy...What to do to top that ENCORE!!! Will a 5.0 float Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie

escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:52 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Wow, that is fantastic. What a great accomplishment, and no doubt a wonderful journey. I (and I am sure others) would love to hear some stories of this journey.

JEFF, I think we have a great candidate for a live interview, one I would love to see.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 01:02 AM   #4

I wopuld like to see a photo of the trailer in "Nunavut"

Doug
Yukon Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 11:03 AM   #5

Sounds like an excellent adventure. I wonder how many trailer tours were given; I bet lots!
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 11:51 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett
Wow, that is fantastic. What a great accomplishment, and no doubt a wonderful journey. I (and I am sure others) would love to hear some stories of this journey.

JEFF, I think we have a great candidate for a live interview, one I would love to see.
Hi: Jim Bennett...The mystery could be "Where it originates from"? Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:11 PM   #7

Hello all you Escapee's,

Ian here. Paddy & I are just taking a break in Chilliwack while Rubea II is at Escape getting a much need cleaning and new brakes.

We started our quest with Rubea I, presently at Escape getting a "tune up". Rubea I and Rubea II at Escape at the same time, is that a coincidence or what?

Our Quest was to take an Escape product to the four corners of this continent, to each province and territory in Canada, to each state in the continental US and to the highest and lowest points on the continent. Why? Because!

We will be happy to send photos, answer questions and in general, tell you how much we have enjoyed being part of the Escape Family.

My problem, navigating through the Escape Forum. I do have a love/hate relationship with my computer.

At present, we have no plans to put pontoons on Rubea II and head for Hawaii.

We hope to see many of you in Osoyoos this June.

Stay cozy,

Ian, Paddy, Gypsy and Rubea II
Rubea2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:43 PM   #8

What Highway did you use to get to "Nunavut"

The capitol is "Iqaluit" used to be called "Frobisher Bay" when I traveled in that area.

Doug
Yukon Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:18 PM   #9

Dear Family & Friends, (Message 9)
(I never expected this almost four month long trip to take so long to describe. Thanks for hanging in there with us. We had a great time and will be giving our fifth wheel a well deserved break. We probably won't be out in her again until June, when we go to Osoyoos.)
BOSTON, APRIL 6th:
Thirty miles into Boston was a mad jumble of rural areas, neat subdivisions, old tired roads, a tangle of streets and traffic. Put it this way - we thought we would never get there! I saw so many Dunkin' Donut franchises, I lost count. However, while the driver was a little frustrated, it was a pleasant ride with many fine old homes on large sites visible for miles and miles. Our final big tourist destination was the ten acre John F. Kennedy Library, situated inside the University of Massachusetts and overlooking Boston Harbor. The building is white and black and a big part of it is completely open (glass walls) overlooking the water. All of this was in homage to Kennedy's love of the sea. The interior is modern and it is structured so that you see an old video of Kennedy's campaign to become the president, and then move into a room with all the artifacts related to his campaigns. Finally we head into a series of rooms, one of which is a replica of his Oval Office set up, and then others devoted to various aspects of his life, ending up with the video of his assassination and funeral. Jackie Kennedy Onassis was featured as to her contributions, including her great fashion style, and refurbishment of the White House. In three years, those two did a tremendous amount, especially considering they had two small children at the time. He had already written several books, including the Pulitzer winning Profiles in Courage, and When England Slept. Many of us know where we were when JFK was murdered. The Library is 50 years old this year, tempus fugit (or whatever).
Back home to the park we went, through a scramble of Dunkin' Donuts and rush hour traffic!
APRIL 7th - Ian fought his way through Connecticut, New Jersey, New York, and the beginning of Pennsylvania. More Dunkin' Donut franchises. By now we are discussing our favourite doughnuts. But we have not given in to temptation.
APRIL 8th - a very heavy rain day, and now we are really on our way home: Pennsylvania (Allegheny Mountains) - a much nicer drive, and after a rubby dub experience of a park the previous night (think wet dirt roads, very old trailers, and a crappy welcome), we hit a friendly place aptly named Gaslight RV Park. The water is cascading down their sites, it is cold, and we are concerned about frozen water pipes.
APRIL 9th - the Ohio Turnpike, Indiana.
APRIL 10th - we are through Indiana, Illinois (would have loved to see Chicago) and into Iowa. It was very hot and humid, and we had a dry lightning storm.
APRIL 11th - finished crossing Iowa, and got into Nebraska, stumbled into gorgeous, perfect weather. Stayed an extra day, and caught up on things. By the way, we are passing Lewis & Clark sites, Custer, Wild Bill Hickok, etc. but stuck to our deadline and didn't get distracted. By now we have forgotten about doughnuts, a good thing.
APRIL 13th - we are through Nebraska, missing the Plainsmens Trail past the Platte River sites - groan - into a very cold park where we were put into Site #0.
APRIL 14th - now this was fun. Went through 28 miles of snow and wind outside of Cheyenne, Wyoming and ended up in Caspar.
APRIL 15th - got up this morning and found out that two highways had been closed behind us, and a tornado had ripped through further south. It wasn't an interesting drive to Billings, Montana, but we had a warm feeling from missing the blizzard, etc. Wyoming, on the other hand,was a stunning drive of mountains, valleys, rolling high plains and nestled towns, farms and ranches.
APRIL 16TH - our longest drive, and a GPS glitch which had us, at the end of the day, going through Missoula, Montana rush hour traffic to outside the city, which is where we were supposed to be in the first place!
APRIL 17th - a pancake breakfast, then through Montana and into Idaho - holy smokes, that's a rough old road before Coeur d'Alene in the mountains, and now the scenery is more impressive.
APRIL 18TH - today we drove through endless miles of rolling agricultural plains, rocky areas, rivers, the Grand Coulee Dam, a snowstorm in Stephens Pass, Washington, and valleys to our final destination: Bellingham RV Park, Washington. OUR LAST NIGHT IN THE TRAILER.
APRIL 19TH - a short drive to Sumas where we went through customs in record time, a detour to Costco's and on to Chilliwack to visit friends and get the fifth wheel fixed (minor repairs) at the Escape factory.
TOMORROW WE HEAD HOME TO GABRIOLA ISLAND. Ian bought a used rowing machine in Vancouver, celebrated his birthday, attended the confirmation of his brother to the Catholic Church, and went to lunch with friends of mine who are getting married. We even managed to visit an 88 year old aunt of mine in Langley.
TAXES, here we come!
Thank you all. There will be one more short message from home. Hope you are all well.
Love, cheers, and a very happy Easter,
Paddy, Ian & Gypsy.
APRIL 19th -
Old 04-25-2011, 02:23 PM   #10

Hello Everyone Again! (Message 2)
I have received wonderful catchup letters from several people, thank you so much. I have just about answered all of those, and so here we are with the doings since January 10th.
First of all, the weather is 88 degrees today, the hottest so far and unusual - about 13 degrees over normal - so the AC is now in operation.
Ian is just about finished with the merry-go-round involving his stolen wallet. So far it has cost about $150 to replace cards, to express the important ones down, to buy a new wallet, replace the $25 in cash lost etc. and then there was all the time involved with phone calls and the paperwork.
We have spent time cleaning the truck, cleaning the inside carpets and bathroom, the floor, shopping, getting Gypsy groomed, getting organized e.g. putting the winter clothes away,doing laundry, and joining the local library. We didn't even hook up our TV until last night, for the Golden Globes.
Our second movie yesterday was The Fighter. It is an excellent movie even though I don't follow boxing. It was the absorbing true story of two brothers who are boxers. The older one gets involved in drugs and stops helping his younger brother get in shape for his own boxing career and ends up in jail. The acting was phenomenal, as was the writing and directing.
We have purchased tickets for a pre-Oscar evening of clips and discussion at the Palme D'or Theatre on February 24th. This town is getting famous for its own Film Festival which is going on right now. They voted The Whistleblower from Canada as Best Documentary!
We have a Clubhouse Potluck Wednesday and a breakfast here for friends in the morning - Ian's famous blueberry pancakes will be featured - so our social life is picking up. It really has been fun meeting up again with all the people we know from biking, pool classes and the past five years.
Sam Betts who lives next door to us dropped by for a surprise visit yesterday morning! He was heading to Phoenix to pick up Dorothy, who decided that a road trip down the I-5 was not for her. I can really relate to that!
Our trip downtown last Thursday to go to the Palm Springs Art Museum was great. They showed the Richard Avedon Photography Collection and what a photographer he was. The pics were all in black and white and we recognized nearly all of the movie and stage stars, dancers, musicians etc. A real blast from the past. I remembered Suzy Parker, Jean Shrimpton, Twiggy and other models from the sixties in Vogue and other fashion magazines. Now, am I dating myself?
We finished with dinner at Ruby's, a venerable burger joint with a great view of the crowds moving along for the street fair. I had a lettuce wrapped veggie burger with trimmings and it was terrific. We even saw two separate sets of people from our park there. A small world.
Thinking of you, hoping all is well, and take care.
Cheers,
Paddy & Ian