If this ever happens to you - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2016, 11:43 AM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
If this ever happens to you

On Saturday night we camped at the Badlands in South Dakota. Got an early start and by about 1 pm was near the Iowa/ South Dakota border. Stopped for lunch, refrigerator at 34 degrees F. Noticed the monitor about a hour later showed 36F. Figured getting stuff out must have lost some cold. Monitor continued to climb slowly, very windy that day and some rough two lane till we got on US 20. Got home about 9 PM. Temp at 37F and not trending higher. Happened to check the Samlex controller. Had a red light that said DC-DC failure. I was concerned. No other readings would show. Read the book and realized that it was written by an Engineer. Called Samlex on Monday. Bill in Tech Support said to pull the panel and make sure dip switch # 1 was on. How could it move I thought? Opened the cupboard, lots of stuff in there. And dip#1 was off! A stack of red solo cups was having a party without me and had danced around a la Donna's rolling earthquake analogy and shut my panel off. A simple flip and a relieved thank you call to Bill and we're good to go again. All readings normal, refrigerator working good and as Goofy said to Mickey, "I brought her down safe and sound. "5989 miles for trip that will be known as the Redwoods Customer Apprecition Rally. Probably should build me a little dip switch cover. If this ever happens to you, check your dips. Get out there and go camping, the USA and Canada are the two greatest countries I've ever been in. ( only two also)
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 12:34 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
On Saturday night we camped at the Badlands in South Dakota. Got an early start and by about 1 pm was near the Iowa/ South Dakota border. Stopped for lunch, refrigerator at 34 degrees F. Noticed the monitor about a hour later showed 36F. Figured getting stuff out must have lost some cold. Monitor continued to climb slowly, very windy that day and some rough two lane till we got on US 20. Got home about 9 PM. Temp at 37F and not trending higher. Happened to check the Samlex controller. Had a red light that said DC-DC failure. I was concerned. No other readings would show. Read the book and realized that it was written by an Engineer. Called Samlex on Monday. Bill in Tech Support said to pull the panel and make sure dip switch # 1 was on. How could it move I thought? Opened the cupboard, lots of stuff in there. And dip#1 was off! A stack of red solo cups was having a party without me and had danced around a la Donna's rolling earthquake analogy and shut my panel off. A simple flip and a relieved thank you call to Bill and we're good to go again. All readings normal, refrigerator working good and as Goofy said to Mickey, "I brought her down safe and sound. "5989 miles for trip that will be known as the Redwoods Customer Apprecition Rally. Probably should build me a little dip switch cover. If this ever happens to you, check your dips. Get out there and go camping, the USA and Canada are the two greatest countries I've ever been in. ( only two also)
Dave
Hi: Iowa Dave... Our reference's to a "Dip switch" north of the 49th. are a lot different. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 12:41 PM   #3

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Read the book and realized that it was written by an Engineer.
if you are referring to the SCC-30AB manual...that is a very detailed manual with lot's of good info for a nerd...probably to much for most consumers beyond the dip switch settings and the display menu. .....always a bit of a tossup in product development engineering when deciding if it's worth spending the time writing a detailed manual like that, when probably most customers will never read or even understand it....
there is probably a few VCR's with the clock setting still flashing..
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 02:12 PM   #4

Yup that's the model and the manual. I'm sure it's a good one, I'll keep it around for when my son comes by if I can't get a human on the phone as he can interpret EE speak pretty well.
A microwave will work without the clock being set too. The other day I needed to reset imine and did not know the date, I lied to my microwave and said the date was 11/11/11. Felt like I got away with something. It's sad, but it's a retirement thrill for a geezer.
Dave
Old 06-08-2016, 02:37 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
So your issue was not caused by your skinny dipping?
Old 06-08-2016, 03:49 PM   #6

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Dave, glad it was a quick fix. Donna's earthquake analogy, I know all about it, our fridge has unplugged itself I think three times now in the two years we've had the trailer. They couldn't have put the outlet in a tougher place to reach, just glad I have a skinny arm

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 04:24 PM   #7

Are you saying the wings this big boy got knocking out red hot grey iron castings in a 135 F foundry with a 10 lb hammer won't fit in there? I'll have to get a puny high school athlete to take along as a riding mechanic. Looking forward to Manitoba, where men are men and sheep, well never mind.
Dave