If you could do it again, what would be different? - Page 16 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2017, 10:56 AM   #301

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I find the 5 cu. ft. fridge adequate in my 17B. Cupboard above is used for food and spices.
Attached Thumbnails
beer fridge.jpg  
Old 02-07-2017, 11:13 AM   #302

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Now that is my definition of a properly stocked fridge!

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 11:29 AM   #303

Trailer: 2017 F250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Our opinion only . Small trailer , small refrigerator .Why a huge refrigerator in a small space ? Pat
For us, extra space is needed not so we can carry more, but so you can find things easily without taking everything out. The refrigerator is just a different kind of storage space. What are you storing, food or other things.

Whichever one you choose I recommend that you do not plan to pack it tightly, These refrigerators work best if there is a lot of room between things.

If you are traveling with a spouse or significant other who has a strong opinion about the need for a larger refrigerator, defer to them.

I meet people who have a two showers and one is a closet, sometimes both. You can always put other things in the refrigerator, just like people use their ovens to store things. You cannot put your leftovers in the open cabinet.
Little Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 11:58 AM   #304

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Richie View Post
For us, extra space is needed not so we can carry more, but so you can find things easily without taking everything out. The refrigerator is just a different kind of storage space. What are you storing, food or other things.

Whichever one you choose I recommend that you do not plan to pack it tightly, These refrigerators work best if there is a lot of room between things.

If you are traveling with a spouse or significant other who has a strong opinion about the need for a larger refrigerator, defer to them.

I meet people who have a two showers and one is a closet, sometimes both. You can always put other things in the refrigerator, just like people use their ovens to store things. You cannot put your leftovers in the open cabinet.
One of my pet peeves is to have to pull a bunch of "stuff" out to get to something . I want everything to have a place . Yes you can put "stuff" in oven which we have and microwave which we have also . You are right about packing the refrigerator too full . Still like all of our cabinets to put things away in their place . This is our 3 rd RV which all have had the small refrigerator . Always will carry ice chest for drinks ,and just in case . Still find in a small space the smaller refrigerator works just fine . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 11:59 AM   #305

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
We have the 19 with the bigger size fridge. No oven though. Our closet beside the fridge turned into the pantry by adding shelves. We never hang clothes anyway. As I like drawer space, Reace was so kind to add 4 drawers underneath the counter.
With your oven on one side, maybe adding two drawers on the other side might be an option. In addition you get one drawer underneath your wardrobe since you are getting the oven.
The questions you have to ask yourselves: do I want to hang clothes? Or do I want to turn the wardrobe into a pantry? How easy is it to get supplies out of the upper cabinet above the fridge? What will be the convenience of having your supplies at eyesight, using the wardrobe as pantry? What will I store where? Where do my pots and pans go? What will I all bring that needs cooling?
Old 02-07-2017, 01:00 PM   #306

Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
Good response. When we were in our 17' we had enough room for clothes and food for about 4 days... then it was time to go into town or go home. Plus not all your food need to be refrigerated. We carried canned and packaged food and fruit that didn't need to be refrigerated.
Nancy
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 01:06 PM   #307

Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quilting Lady View Post
Good response. When we were in our 17' we had enough room for clothes and food for about 4 days... then it was time to go into town or go home. Plus not all your food need to be refrigerated. We carried canned and packaged food and fruit that didn't need to be refrigerated.
Nancy
Another way to conserve refrigerator room is to pre cook some foods. Instead of carrying a whole onion, green pepper etc to make spagetti sauce. I made it ahead of time and put it in a zip lock. or just carried a jar of sauce. Consider your containers and if you only need a couple of Tablespoons of mustard, don't take the whole bottle. I have used those tiny one serving salad dressing containers for small amounts of things. Another thing I did was plan several days menus so I would know exactly what I needed. That way there was little wasted room in the refrig or cabinets. I always managed to add more than I needed just in case I needed more flexiablilty. Good Luck.
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 01:19 PM   #308

Trailer: 2014 19' Escape - 2023 JGC-L Summit
Quote:
Originally Posted by mquirk View Post
What does the hinged table look like? Is it available in the 19?
We have the hinged table in our 2014 19' and like the arrangement. Wall reinforcement for the hinge points is added early in the build process.

Here's a long view with the table up.
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010310 copy-Edit.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	346.5 KB
ID:	21756

And, with the table down.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bay View State Park, Washington (9).jpg
Views:	78
Size:	178.0 KB
ID:	21757

Don
DonF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 01:33 PM   #309

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
One of the main reasons we are looking at an Escape 21 is the bigger 6 cu ft. refrigerator . Our current trailer a Casita 17 has a 4 cu ft refrigerator. Once we get our campsite / trailer set up ,or after a long day of driving , the last thing we want to do is drive to town for food , ice, supplies or to do laundry. We have been trapped in snow / ice storms while traveling so we always carry dried soups and meals for an emergency.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 04:22 PM   #310

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quilting Lady View Post
Nancy
Hmmm, maybe that's the reason I don't have many friends. I usually only take two changes of clothes for a three week trip.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 04:28 PM   #311

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonF View Post
We have the hinged table in our 2014 19' and like the arrangement. Wall reinforcement for the hinge points is added early in the build process.

Here's a long view with the table up.
Attachment 21756

And, with the table down.
Attachment 21757

Don
Are those reinforcements and your whole set-up standard now for a hinged table? They were not doing that in earlier years.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 05:08 PM   #312

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Hmmm, maybe that's the reason I don't have many friends. I usually only take two changes of clothes for a three week trip.
Dave
You may have hit on something.....I have the same problem...nobody travels with me and I pack about the same way.....
Old 02-07-2017, 05:28 PM   #313

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
You learn after awhile to sit down wind from Dave....
Old 02-07-2017, 05:51 PM   #314

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
You learn after awhile to sit down wind from Dave....
Upwind?
Old 02-07-2017, 05:57 PM   #315

Friends

You guys are both my friends. What's a little B.O. among friends? And that garlic my brother grows........
Dave
Old 02-07-2017, 05:57 PM   #316

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Dave
Let's see 3 weeks is 28 days. Divide that by 4.

Hopefully you take along 7 pairs of underwear then.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 06:32 PM   #317

Ch ch ch changes

Hi Jim Bennett
Reminds me of when I was Scoutmaster. Moms would come to an orientation for the boys going off to camp for the first time. We would hand out a fake clothing needed list. Underwear : Two pairs. When questioned we'd say 4 days on each pair, 7 day camp, no problem 1st day right side out, forward 2nd day right side out backwards, 3rd day inside out forward 4 th day inside out backwards 5 day new pair, and repeat.
Or we'd tell them we insisted they change every day: Tom, change with Jerry, Bill change with Leo and so on. Was good for a laugh every year.
Dave
Old 02-07-2017, 06:53 PM   #318

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I can not repeat here but will gladly do so in person, some of the situations encountered while in the military as a Storekeeper in supply where we would provide the initial clothing allotment for the new recruits every week. Some of the plebes had never worn boxer style underwear, nor knew how to wear them.......to be continued.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:12 PM   #319

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Hi Jim Bennett
Reminds me of when I was Scoutmaster. Moms would come to an orientation for the boys going off to camp for the first time. We would hand out a fake clothing needed list. Underwear : Two pairs. When questioned we'd say 4 days on each pair, 7 day camp, no problem 1st day right side out, forward 2nd day right side out backwards, 3rd day inside out forward 4 th day inside out backwards 5 day new pair, and repeat.
Or we'd tell them we insisted they change every day: Tom, change with Jerry, Bill change with Leo and so on. Was good for a laugh every year.
Dave
I knew knowing you were an ex-Scoutmaster you would figure out the basis of my math of four days per pair.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 12:20 AM   #320

Trailer: 21' 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Okay, it's your trailer your decision. But unless you want to get on your hands and knees and look outside, that front window won't do you much. During the day, looking at the front window.. you'll be looking at the sky.. not your tug or the road in front.

When Scamp first built their "5ver" it came standard with a front non-opening window in the loft. Five years later a BUNCH of folks that complained at leaks on the bed, they made the front window an option... sometime early 20?? they changed the mold to no longer accept a front window. WHY? In a driving rain the nose under tow... water just finds it's way inside! Even monster stickbuilt 5ers don't have front nose windows (okay, I've seen a few, but they have a fiberglass nose cone that wraps around the entire front end). I miss the front window, it's in my Scamp, but water intrution and some of the horror stories I've read over the years makes me glad Ten Forward is "slick" on the nose. YMMV

Years ago, prior to ETI building even the first 5.0... I thought a Scamp 5er deluxe was in my future. What I really didn't like was sleeping side-to-side with my head in one window and feet in the other. With the ETI standard build my head and feet aren't in a window... you're planning with your head right there... in a window.
Donna, is this is relevant issue in the 2017 21'? We planned on getting the front window with rock shield, but didn't know enough about trailers to even worry about leakage there. Our sheet is due July 12th so we can still change this if it's going to cause leakage!!
SouthernCamper is offline   Reply With Quote