If you could do it again, what would be different? - Page 18 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2017, 07:53 PM   #341

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by casejh View Post
Pat, can you tell me what that insulation is called? When I go into Home Depot, what would I ask for? I am just not familiar with that product. Thanks.
Yes give me awhile I am hoping the sticker is on another I know I have . I promise to get it for you. Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:57 PM   #342

Quote:
Pat, can you tell me what that insulation is called? When I go into Home Depot, what would I ask for? I am just not familiar with that product. Thanks.
Took a few pictures for you . If you could print out they will know what you are talking about . Unfortunately not much information. I saw them back of store where they sell all kinds of plastic or whatever you call them panels . Pat
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0190.jpg   IMG_0191.jpg   IMG_0192.jpg  
Old 07-03-2017, 08:58 PM   #343

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Looks like Coroplast.
Or this brand.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2017-07-03 at 7.01.37 PM.png  
Old 07-03-2017, 09:02 PM   #344

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Looks like Coroplast.
If it is for a greenhouse it might be twinwall. But I've never seen at at the local Loews or Home depot.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:23 PM   #345
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
If it is for a greenhouse it might be twinwall. But I've never seen at at the local Loews or Home depot.
I've only seen twinwall in large quantities, and it's pretty pricey. This was probably a Chinese knock off product sold in smaller sheets.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:41 PM   #346

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
Isn't Coroplast just an opaque twinwall?
24 in. x 36 in.Twinwall Plastic Sheet-COR-2436 - The Home Depot
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:52 PM   #347

Trailer: None now
Coroplast would not hold up long term as greenhouse walls.
We have an orchid house that originally had twinwall walls and roof.
The top surface had metal tape and the base had a fabric tape. I assume so the walls would not fill with algae . It didn't work, they had a lot of green in them. I ended up putting up screen with lattice for the walls and regular white corrugated plastic for the roof after the sun did to much damage to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post

Edit took a quick look the twinwall I had is made from polycarbonate and coroplast is made from polypropylene. You can cut coroplast with a razor knife. The other stuff would laugh at you.

Hmm, I wonder though if you sealed the edges of coroplast if it would work as insulation. Defiantly would be light and cheap.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 10:13 PM   #348

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Not sure if what I saw at a Home Depot is the same as what we have . Ours came from a green house manufacturer and we had extra . It has been up for years and still looks good . No mold or green or falling apart whatever it is . Works great on the front cover window on the trailer . Pat
Old 07-03-2017, 10:37 PM   #349

Quote:
Hi if the product at Home Depot isn't the same . You could contact a green house manufacturer and see if you can get some . I have seen it used on many green houses for years . Sorry I couldn't be any more help . Pat
Old 07-03-2017, 10:45 PM   #350

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 "LollyPop" June 12, 2017, sold Coleman pop up
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Hi if the product at Home Depot isn't the same . You could contact a green house manufacturer and see if you can get some . I have seen it used on many green houses for years . Sorry I couldn't be any more help . Pat
OK I will see what I can learn about this. Thanks!
casejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 09:45 AM   #351

Trailer: Escape 5.0TA (July 19, 2017)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRINGOandTICA View Post
Gather everyone is happy with their trailer, but I was wondering if you could build one out again what would you change, remove or request added? Why?
After our trip home with our new 5.0 TA, I'd have to say we did pretty good with the options we chose. I won't go over all the options we added, but here are a few highlights:
* We really like having the U-shaped dinette with no table (we'll add a Lagun Table Mount a small table top that can be easily taken down). We got the 12" filler board to help make the area into more of a "lounge". We did find that 12" is too wide for us, so I just made a 6" filler board and cushion (with our left over custom fabric). The 6" filler makes the back bench seat approximately the same width as the side benches and so is very comfortable for us. We also added two counter extensions for the back area to use when we opt not to put up the "Lagun" type table - a nice combination!
* We added two "captain" style lights to the corners of the "lounge" area, but found they're probable not needed. The under counter lights in the back are very adequate for reading.
* The exterior access hatch on the rear passenger side was a great choice and is where we keep our detachable power cord, water hoses, etc. and should probably come standard on the 5.0 TA - I don't see how anyone could do without it.
* I think I should have gotten the 2 way hot water heater option. There'll be times when we'll be spending an extended time with shore power, so might as well use the campground electricity versus my propane.
* We ordered the extra insulation and thermal slider type windows. We love the slider windows for the kitchen and passenger side dinette windows (let more light in and great ventilation!). The other window in the dinette area is a required emergency egress type window (awning style). The frameless style looks great, but we prefer the versatility of the slider type.
John
P.S. We love our trailer and the built in quality and really enjoyed the buying experience and dealing with the great folks at ETI!
LatLongJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 09:57 AM   #352

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
I agonized over every option and detail..... spread sheets..... tons of reading this excellent forum..... appreciated the tons of great thoughts here

the one, fairly inexpensive thing that I wish we had done, was to add a wood door on our 21' right outside the bathroom door, (facing the entrance door) to get under the bed.

it would be sooooo cool to easily tuck shoes there for shoe storage, at the end of the day.

the stock door (facing dinete) tends to get used for a big bag of recycling to recycle once home, plus other stuff tucked in there. so no room for shoes.

shoes end up at the foot of the bed, piled up, in the 'nook'.... kind of ugly and a bit awkward.

yes i know i could get a door mailed to me, but the postage would be considerable i think. and yes an experienced carpentry person could install it easily i think but i'm not a woodworker.

and no plans to be back at ETI....... LA to ETI is a really long drive, of course.

other than that..... we all are super super happy with all the options and choices.

feeling very lucky.

john
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 10:45 AM   #353

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
LatLongJohn,
If your only regret is the water heater, you did great. We got the two-way heater and enjoy using shore power when available, but one of the more experienced owners pointed out that we would probably never recoup the added cost in terms of the propane saved. Seems like our cost was $100 extra and that would be many years of water heater propane.

Losangeles,
We've now been to the Owners' Appreciation Rally in Osoyoos four years in a row. Everyone seems to have a great time. The first two years we made appointments at the factory after the rally to attend to little corrections or improvements while in warranty. With something as simple as that standard door, they might even arrange for someone to bring you one to the rally. Make a list over the next few months, and then check with them in the spring.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 10:48 AM   #354

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Good advice there B&E...Reace installed a pop up table for us at one of the rallies, we are 3/4, for Osoyoos...
Old 10-10-2017, 09:09 AM   #355

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot TF20 DLX Fifth Wheel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Two years, 356 days...but who's counting
D: You must be getting close now...
TheWanderers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:11 AM   #356

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post
... but one of the more experienced owners pointed out that we would probably never recoup the added cost in terms of the propane saved. Seems like our cost was $100 extra and that would be many years of water heater propane. ...
Depending on an individual's hot water usage, I think one could burn through $100 worth of propane in weeks or months, not "many years." Then there is the relative convenience/inconvenience of driving back and forth to a propane refill station, which again will vary greatly by individual (we feel lucky to have several options within a 15 mile range of our home). I know this is a stretch, but is there anyone out there who uses their on-board propane exclusively for the water heater (not for cooking, heating, outdoor fire pit, etc.) who can give a real-world example of how long a 20 lb propane tank lasts them? Or anyone with some basis for a real estimate, not simply a guess? We already have the 2-way ($200 on our build sheet), so it's not affecting any decision on our part. I'm just curious....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:23 AM   #357

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have never had the electric option in my water heater in any of my 3 Escapes nor in any of my other prior 7 travel trailers. I can count on one hand the times I have had to refill my tanks, all refills have been at campgrounds while I'm camping so there is no extra effort there in refilling. I routinely turn it on in the morning for an hour and in the evening for an hour and never have felt the need to operate it longer than that. It holds the heat for at least 12 hours. I use my propane for my furnace and refer while towing and cooking inside. No fire pit nor external hookups for propane. I think I can get a year out of one tank or at least close to a year of use.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:26 AM   #358

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
I'm just curious....
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...html#post96807

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad
Winter camping, furnace, water heater, no fridge -- 7 days to empty 20lb.

Summer camping, same water heater use plus fridge for part of time, 2.5 weeks to empty 20 lb.

As a complete guess, I would say 4 weeks to burn up 20lb using minimal water heater -- morning shower plus dinner dishes ie 2 heatling cycles per day. So.... A gallon a week maybe? Which might yield up 50 cents a day ballpark for water heating.

Your figures will definitely be different than mine.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:53 AM   #359

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I think I can get a year out of one tank or at least close to a year of use.
I think that points out how differently the trailers are used. Our travels tend to be long distance, on the road a lot. We get about 3 weeks on a tank, less if it's cold weather and we're using the furnace.

When you're on the road a lot you're not always sure when you're going to find a convenient spot to refill a tank. So, was a no-brainer decision for us, get the electric option. Nice to have options.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:54 AM   #360

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I have never had the electric option in my water heater in any of my 3 Escapes nor in any of my other prior 7 travel trailers. I can count on one hand the times I have had to refill my tanks, all refills have been at campgrounds while I'm camping so there is no extra effort there in refilling. I routinely turn it on in the morning for an hour and in the evening for an hour and never have felt the need to operate it longer than that. It holds the heat for at least 12 hours. I use my propane for my furnace and refer while towing and cooking inside. No fire pit nor external hookups for propane. I think I can get a year out of one tank or at least close to a year of use.
Very efficient! At that usage rate, it seems one should travel with a just a single 20 pound tank and save the weight of the other on the trailer tongue.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote