If you could do it again, what would be different? - Page 21 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-14-2018, 09:59 AM   #401

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCamper View Post
Age old post, but this is the first I read of this. It's harder to make the u shaped dinette into a bed? We have a toddler and it'll have to be done often. I swear I asked this recently and everyone said it's no different, but I'm not sure now that I asked that specifically.
One of the big advantages of the Springfield pedestal is the ease of converting the table to the bed platform. This is regardless of whether it is the full size table in the standard dinette or the smaller table in the U-dinette, however due to it's lighter weight and smaller size the U will be more stable. Another advantage to the U is that the cushion under the window offers a little more insulation and is not as thick as the other back cushions. That being said, if I had small children having had both dinettes I could see the advantage of the standard dinette with not only the larger table but the longer bench which you lose when you have the back bench. Just feels more spacious.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 10:33 AM   #402

Trailer: April 2016 21' "Ramble On"
I don't know if its just me, but the standard table legs are a pain in the a$$ to get out of the bottom of the table. Next time I have them out i should try spraying some PAM or WD40 on them before putting them back. Luckily, we've only had a "guest" sleeping over twice.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:05 PM   #403

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I used to blame the sticking on the fact that I'd pound on the table top some trying to get it to stop wiggling so much.
Old 01-14-2018, 02:15 PM   #404

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
We would have had a switch to turn on an inside light. We can turn on the light over the sink which is by the door but a switch would have been nicer for some ceiling light.

On tables, we sent Sequoia table legs up and they turn to remove. The bases are also nearly flat which is why we bought them. We have the table out and rugs over the bases.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 05:53 PM   #405

Trailer: 21' 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
One of the big advantages of the Springfield pedestal is the ease of converting the table to the bed platform. This is regardless of whether it is the full size table in the standard dinette or the smaller table in the U-dinette, however due to it's lighter weight and smaller size the U will be more stable. Another advantage to the U is that the cushion under the window offers a little more insulation and is not as thick as the other back cushions. That being said, if I had small children having had both dinettes I could see the advantage of the standard dinette with not only the larger table but the longer bench which you lose when you have the back bench. Just feels more spacious.
After seeing an Escape for the first time today, a 5.0 TA, we've decided to go for the stock dinette in our 21' with Springfield pedestal on the ETI slider. I agree that we need the table space, and the under table space will be useful for dog beds!
SouthernCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:13 PM   #406

I never considered the Springfield pedestal but the fact that it is not removeable, right? would have definitely kept us from getting it. So people should know that.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:48 PM   #407

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
I never considered the Springfield pedestal but the fact that it is not removeable, right? would have definitely kept us from getting it. So people should know that.
Hm, thank you, I didn't realize there was a difference other than the one pole and easy up and down. not removable should be a pretty self explanatory description, but I want to be sure I understand exactly how the Springfield pedestal and the standard setup are different in removability. Can you completely take the table and poles out with the stock setup, but not with the Springfield? Would I be needing to remove it for something, or is this more of an issue for people who would like to create a lounge setup?
Old 01-14-2018, 09:04 PM   #408

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Hm, thank you, I didn't realize there was a difference other than the one pole and easy up and down. not removable should be a pretty self explanatory description, but I want to be sure I understand exactly how the Springfield pedestal and the standard setup are different in removability. Can you completely take the table and poles out with the stock setup, but not with the Springfield? Would I be needing to remove it for something, or is this more of an issue for people who would like to create a lounge setup?
The original 2 pole setup is removable along with the table. You will have the two pole mounts left in the floor. The Springfield is permanent, to remove the table would require unscrewing it from the table and the floor.

However, the stock table when it's time to make a bed requires you to wiggle it back and forth until you break the connection between the poles. Odds are high that as you lift the unwieldy table that at least one of the post will still be stuck to it. So now you need to set it at an angle so you can pull the post free. After you have the poles out of the way you now carefully place the table down making sure not to lose control of it. On the 19 the DC disconnect is mounted in a place where dropping the table will damage it.
You need to make sure the cushions are out of the way as you do this.
For the Springfield, move the cushions, if needed loosen the table slider so you can center the table. Pull the 2 releases and push down. Tighten the 2 releases and you are done.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:10 PM   #409

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
The original 2 pole setup is removable along with the table. You will have the two pole mounts left in the floor. The Springfield is permanent, to remove the table would require unscrewing it from the table and the floor.

However, the stock table when it's time to make a bed requires you to wiggle it back and forth until you break the connection between the poles. Odds are high that as you lift the unwieldy table that at least one of the post will still be stuck to it. So now you need to set it at an angle so you can pull the post free. After you have the poles out of the way you now carefully place the table down making sure not to lose control of it. On the 19 the DC disconnect is mounted in a place where dropping the table will damage it.
For the Springfield, move the cushions, if needed loosen the table slider so you can center the table. Pull the 2 releases and push down. Tighten the 2 releases and you are done.
OK this is my reason for wanting the pedestal. Despite the relatively low weight of the table, I just can't see loving our camper with this situation. I just saw this table today, and I can see wanting to throw the table out of the window if I deal with what you describe. I do want to alternate freely between the bed and table, and don't foresee wanting to eliminate a table. So the Springfield makes the most sense for me I think. I'll still the ETI poles I guess, just to have them.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:27 PM   #410

Trailer: None now
Quote:
OK this is my reason for wanting the pedestal. Despite the relatively low weight of the table, I just can't see loving our camper with this situation. I just saw this table today, and I can see wanting to throw the table out of the window if I deal with what you describe. I do want to alternate freely between the bed and table, and don't foresee wanting to eliminate a table. So the Springfield makes the most sense for me I think. I'll still the ETI poles I guess, just to have them.
Some of us drop the table when towing. Rough roads can damage the mount system on the stock setup and that is what convinced us to go with the Springfield. I could not see lowering and raising the stock setup constantly. I do drop the Springfield but since it is easy to do I do not mind.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...tml#post100749
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 11:42 PM   #411

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post

I would also like to mention before we installed the Springfield mount one of the poles cut my leg and another time scratched the paneling . We need to put table down every night to put a playpen up there for our little dogs . The Springfield is much easier to use . For us not worried about removing . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 12:03 AM   #412

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I think the whole point of the Springfield is that you don't have to remove it to switch from bed to table.
We solved the matter by leaving the rear dinette as a bed and store the posts under the bench.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:07 AM   #413

Sequoia legs are just turned to remove. Bases stay there and are 1/2" or so off of the floor, for anyone who needs to remove the legs. Threw a rug over the bases. We have table and legs at home for the time being.

They do not sell them any more where we bought them but they are around. Oliver was using them. Escape installed them.
Attached Thumbnails
P1070961.jpg  
Old 01-15-2018, 12:34 AM   #414

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
I would also like to mention before we installed the Springfield mount one of the poles cut my leg and another time scratched the paneling . We need to put table down every night to put a playpen up there for our little dogs . The Springfield is much easier to use . For us not worried about removing . Pat
Not many dogs have their own special pedestal and table.
Lucky dogs!
Old 01-15-2018, 08:26 AM   #415

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
Not many dogs have their own special pedestal and table.
Lucky dogs!
Hi: float5... I do!!! It's all part of the "Dog house" furniture. I'm in there a lot!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:20 AM   #416

Trailer: Getting a 21NE early next year
Our 14# schnoodle has poodle hair, not fur, and sleeps with us. That's why we need an island queen size bed...: )

Frank
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:26 AM   #417

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
It appears some believe the standard dinette table to be the devil incarnate. It is not. It just takes a general understanding of the forces at play and a modicum of patience. However, we are in a situation where we can leave our dinette table up permanently - using a couple bungee cords to help bind it in place while traveling. That said, if we needed to raise and lower the dinette table top on a daily basis, we'd probably opt for a Springfield pedestal, as well, just for the simplicity and speed of it.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:33 AM   #418

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
They only reason I went with the U-shaped dinette was for more storage to house electrical stuff. No plan to end use the seat.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:05 AM   #419

I can't say that the Sequoia legs would not loosen the bases over time if someone were taking them out every day. Some people with Olivers would have to always take them out unless they keep the bed set-up permanently and never use their big lounge. But these legs are much easier to take out.

The big table on the 19' was more difficult for me to deal with than the smaller one on the 21' with the U dinette, of course.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:09 AM   #420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
They only reason I went with the U-shaped dinette was for more storage to house electrical stuff. No plan to end use the seat.
We use the seat: we put stuff on it! And below the bench is our electrical and EMS and batteries at passenger side. We can also put our feet up on the U.