If you could do it again, what would be different? - Page 8 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2015, 08:59 PM   #141

Trailer: 1997 Casita 17ft Liberty
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I guess I'm lucky or blessed or whatever when it comes to that - I really love my job. Of course, I still look forward to retirement.
Interesting...I really love my job as well, in fact this current one is the most enjoyable one I've had. But one of the great things about life now is that I'm on a count-down (9 mos). It's really exhilarating to know that this is the last job, and I don't have to worry any more about what comes next, at least in terms of work for pay.

Josh
Josh.W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 09:08 PM   #142

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Congrats on your impending retirement...you'll notice some changes over the first year or so including probably being able to sleep later!
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 09:17 PM   #143
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.W View Post
Interesting...I really love my job as well, in fact this current one is the most enjoyable one I've had. But one of the great things about life now is that I'm on a count-down (9 mos). It's really exhilarating to know that this is the last job, and I don't have to worry any more about what comes next, at least in terms of work for pay.

Josh
I'm right there with YOU! I just had my 1:1 performace review (yearly) with my manager. I'm really good at what I do and I kinda like my job, but am ready for the NEXT chapter in my life. ooooh, what's around the NEXT corner!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 09:24 PM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I'm right there with YOU! I just had my 1:1 performace review (yearly) with my manager. I'm really good at what I do and I kinda like my job, but am ready for the NEXT chapter in my life. ooooh, what's around the NEXT corner!
Thanks Rossue and Donna! And I agree, I'm pretty good at what I do as well, despite constant worries about whether I'm really doing a good job. I had a great annual review last September, and what I think may make some of us "getting-close-to-retirement" folks even better at what we do as that we are very excited about life being good. We also tend to be a lot freer about voicing our opinions and generating new ideas; it's just a general feeling of relief, so let's go for it, nothing to lose, nothing to fear.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:36 PM   #145
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Gave my last boss 4 months notice when I retired. Best 4 months of my entire working career handing off my projects.......

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 09:42 PM   #146
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
....... it's just a general feeling of relief, so let's go for it, nothing to lose, nothing to fear.
Yeppers!
Attached Images

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 11:33 PM   #147

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Ginger (2015 5.0TA) is on her way to Quartzsite right now. She'll be at Dome Rock for the rally. Anne is there in her 17' and I don't know how many others. I do know there's right at 100 all molded towables camping and having fun!
I'll be in Quartzite Feb 4-8th. If you're interested in seeing a 5.0TA, just stop by or PM me for my number.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:33 PM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Gave my last boss 4 months notice when I retired. Best 4 months of my entire working career handing off my projects.......
My boss actually asked me one night what my plans were, so I ended up giving about 11 mos notice. That was about three months ago and I'm still here, so my trust was well placed. That's one of the reasons I love this job. Some places I've worked could easily have said, oh, Josh is already planning to leave, might as well let him go early. Good company and good people.

Maybe I should stay! Naaaaaaaaaa....
Old 01-29-2015, 09:39 PM   #149

Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerh View Post
I'll be in Quartzite Feb 4-8th. If you're interested in seeing a 5.0TA, just stop by or PM me for my number.
Hi Ginger,

Yes! That's absolutely great. Our house is in Yuma. I work in Phoenix but go home for weekends. We would definitely like to come visit. Best for us would probably be Saturday the 7th in the afternoon, would that be good for you?
Old 01-29-2015, 09:41 PM   #150

Ginger,

Ummm...sorry for my ignorance, but how do you PM from here? Josh
Old 01-29-2015, 09:58 PM   #151

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
... how do you PM from here?
Click on the member's name in the box to the left of one of their posts, and chose the "send private message" option from the list which pops up. Not really obvious, but once you know where to find it, easy to use.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 05:05 PM   #152

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B SOLD
Heyyyy,

Our Escape 17B's completion day is Feb 29th 2016, we are excited and are already looking up the option list in the above posts.

Glad to be on this helpful forum
disneydoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 05:13 AM   #153

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Back to the retirement discussion.
Both Pat and I worked first 4 days a week, and then 2 days a week for a long time. If you like what you do, a part time schedule can be a great option if you do a type of work which lends itself to that type of schedule. We are a nurse and occupational therapist working per diem hours in home health.

I met a physician skiing last year who was 6 weeks into full retirement after 70 hour weeks for many years. She was depressed as hell.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 09:18 AM   #154

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B - 2009 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid
Congratulations!
(Couldn't have done it without this Forum!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydoc View Post
Heyyyy,

Our Escape 17B's completion day is Feb 29th 2016, we are excited and are already looking up the option list in the above posts.

Glad to be on this helpful forum
Old 06-13-2015, 11:27 AM   #155

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I did the same. It is a good feeling to retire while at the top of your game. It is also rewarding to hand over your work to deserving young people coming up behind you.
I have been asked if I have considered working part time but for me one day would lead to three. My mind would be occupied with work the day before and also the day after. It could potentially mess up the whole week
Old 06-13-2015, 11:33 AM   #156

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
What I hope to do soon, is semi-retire, and when I do work, work in blocks. Doing renovation work will allow that, do a project or two for 1-4 months, then take off a HUGE chunk of time at once, something I have never done, except when very young. It is a thought anyway, at least give some income for a few years, to ensure that what we have saved lasts us well, and maybe leaves a bit to our kids.

I am 57 now, and hope to have this plan in place within the next couple years.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 12:15 PM   #157

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I am 57 now, and hope to have this plan in place within the next couple years.

Good Luck with your plan....Jim
Old 06-13-2015, 12:17 PM   #158

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
What I hope to do soon, is semi-retire, and when I do work, work in blocks. Doing renovation work will allow that, do a project or two for 1-4 months, then take off a HUGE chunk of time at once, something I have never done, except when very young. It is a thought anyway, at least give some income for a few years, to ensure that what we have saved lasts us well, and maybe leaves a bit to our kids.
Your Vincent painting has Don Mclean singing Starry Starry night in my head.
We found it's amazing the money you have each month when you stop saving for retirement and getting the kids established. I keep quoting dear wife a bumper sticker I saw long ago. "Retired, half the pay twice the husband"
Old 06-13-2015, 02:42 PM   #159

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
After getting a quote for delivery of our Escape to North Carolina, I decided to take early retirement and spend that "delivery charge" on a trip to pick up our Escape. We spent 10 weeks on the road and enjoyed every minute. As to work, they replaced me with 2 full timers and a part timer. Either I was working too hard or else was more efficient than my replacements!
Old 06-13-2015, 03:29 PM   #160

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Probably they just took your salary and divided it between the three.