I'm so hungry I could eat a - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-22-2015, 04:17 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Iowa Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Eastern Iowa, Iowa
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 pulled by a 2010 Highlander Anderson hitch,
Posts: 2,382
I'm so hungry I could eat a

While I have been fortunate enough to have dined at some very nice restaurants in my life, I find no greater pleasure than cooking a meal of Spam , or Hormel chili and hot dogs over a little campfire along a river or in the woods somewhere with my Teflon Girl Scout mess kit I also like a fresh caught fish. Especially a redhorse. Cooked over a set of coals in a willow basket rig. Thomas Wolfe was not exactly right. Sometimes you can go home again and it's good for you. A baked potato in the woods ain't bad either.
Dave
__________________

Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 04:22 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Posts: 10,729
Bush's Homestyle baked beans and hot dog ( if you got'em ).
Buddy and I got back late from fishing and ate them cold from the can. Too tired and too hungry to heat.
__________________

__________________
2009 Escape 17B "Toad"
2008 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport
North Vancouver, British Columbia

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 07:07 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
MyronL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Edgewood, New Mexico
Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Posts: 2,063
I started to add to this thread our favorite real-fast-and-simple, no hassle road-dish for when we just want to eat and retire; any favorite Progresso canned soup (tomato basil) but fortified with the addition of frozen very tasty Italian meatballs from the super market.

Must add....saw those really outstanding interior trailer shots, very well lit.
__________________
Myron
"A billion here, a billion there...add it all up and before you know it you're talking real money." Everett Dirkson
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 07:33 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 11,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
While I have been fortunate enough to have dined at some very nice restaurants in my life, I find no greater pleasure than cooking a meal of Spam , or Hormel chili and hot dogs over a little campfire along a river or in the woods somewhere with my Teflon Girl Scout mess kit I also like a fresh caught fish. Especially a redhorse. Cooked over a set of coals in a willow basket rig. Thomas Wolfe was not exactly right. Sometimes you can go home again and it's good for you. A baked potato in the woods ain't bad either.
Dave
It is all about where you are eating it, more than what you are eating. Hot dogs are not food though.... just sayin'. I eat about 2 hot dogs a year, on average. I much prefer a good spicy sausage, smokie, or a brat.

Fast food for us is usually something grilled with a salad or other fresh veggies. I can have the BBQ running in a heartbeat with the low pressure connection, and have started some meat on the grill while setting up.

Our favourite meal for the first night is most often cooked on the fire. Do the basic setup of the trailer, and let the wife do all the organizing her way. I usually start a fire while setting up, burn it up big, then throw some foil wrapped veggie packs or potatoes, or if in season corn on the cob just soaked in water then tossed on the coals. A few sausages done on a stick or grill. In 15 minutes we are sitting around the fire with a wobbly pop and hot plate of good food.

Man, starting to get hungry for supper here.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 08:02 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
dfandrews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A - "The Pullman"
Posts: 1,342
If we're too tired to cook, but don't want 'cold', we sometimes slice hot dogs, or better yet, polska kielbasa, in a brownie baking pan, put in a bunch of sliced (or chunk) pineapple, a little soy sauce, and heat it, grill it, bake it, whatever.
The only eating rule is, one piece of meat with each piece of pineapple.


(It started out as hors d'oeuvres once upon a time, but the toothpicks are too much trouble!).
__________________
Don & Teresa
2015 17A: 2011 Honda Pilot
RLTW
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 08:42 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
SpokanEscape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Spokane, Washington
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA 2016 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost
Posts: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
It is all about where you are eating it, more than what you are eating. Hot dogs are not food though.... just sayin'. I eat about 2 hot dogs a year, on average. I much prefer a good spicy sausage, smokie, or a brat.

Fast food for us is usually something grilled with a salad or other fresh veggies. I can have the BBQ running in a heartbeat with the low pressure connection, and have started some meat on the grill while setting up.

Our favourite meal for the first night is most often cooked on the fire. Do the basic setup of the trailer, and let the wife do all the organizing her way. I usually start a fire while setting up, burn it up big, then throw some foil wrapped veggie packs or potatoes, or if in season corn on the cob just soaked in water then tossed on the coals. A few sausages done on a stick or grill. In 15 minutes we are sitting around the fire with a wobbly pop and hot plate of good food.

Man, starting to get hungry for supper here.
Jim - I have to ask - what is a "wobbly pop"?
My childhood in England usually helps my Canadian fluency but this expression has me stumped!
Jan
__________________
Jan and Paul
"Le Bon Oeuf"
SpokanEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 08:55 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
padlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southwick, Massachusetts
Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Posts: 3,835
Adult beverage.
__________________
Happy Motoring
Bob
padlin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 09:05 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Posts: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpokanEscape View Post
Jim - I have to ask - what is a "wobbly pop"?
My childhood in England usually helps my Canadian fluency but this expression has me stumped!
Jan
I don't think it's a Canadian-ism so much as a Jim-ism...
__________________
Doug

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2012 Nissan Frontier
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 09:29 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
PGDriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Southern Alberta, Alberta
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Posts: 1,437
I'm so hungry I could eat a

Wobbly pop, brown trout = beer eh

Cheers
Doug
__________________
Doug & Eileen
2015 Escape 5.0TA
2015 GMC Sierra Crew 4X4 6.2 8 speed
PGDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 09:42 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
SpokanEscape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Spokane, Washington
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA 2016 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost
Posts: 421
Ahh...perhaps an Albertaism eh?
__________________

__________________
Jan and Paul
"Le Bon Oeuf"
SpokanEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.