Infrared Images - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2014, 10:40 AM   #41

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Okay fine, I'll try it first. I will PM you my address so you can ship your door for me to try on.
I like your cork floor Jim, how about I ship you my floor and you can do mine
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:50 AM   #42

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
If you're willing to cut and re-fiberglass, I think Donna's suggestion makes sense. But if you're going to all that effort, why not properly insulate it with foam, rather than aluminized bubble wrap?
Brian and Donna are on the right track. However, rather than one large cutout, another variation may be to drill a series of strategically placed holes on the inside of the door from which foam insulation would be installed. When done, the holes could be filled with white plastic caps, and would look almost factory in appearance. Maybe something like these.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:59 AM   #43

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
If you're willing to cut and re-fiberglass, I think Donna's suggestion makes sense. But if you're going to all that effort, why not properly insulate it with foam, rather than aluminized bubble wrap?
Gotta agree with you there. The R value of reflectix inside a confined space is about 1 as far as I can determine. Foam would be the way to go.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:43 AM   #44

Trailer: Escape
Reflectix .3215" thickness has a R value of 3.7 and is also a radiant barrier.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:16 PM   #45

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
My comment was based on a quote on the first page of the The World’s Largest Manufacturer of Reflective Insulation and Radiant Barrier Products
website. It appears that the R-value varies widely depending on the type of installation. It also only deals with radiant loss, not conductive loss which the foam would deal with much more effectively.

That being said, I still ordered the extra insulation on mine on the theory that more is better. Also I wanted the thermal windows. I know the frames will still sweat but two layers of glass are still better than one.

If I find cold weather causes issues I would fill the door with beads and/or apply a padded foam liner to the interior of the door. For the windows I would use a foam tape. It wouldn't be perfect but it'd likely greater reduce condensation.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 03:46 PM   #46

Trailer: Escape
Ron
Good post offering insulation strategies. Never considered different r-values contingent on type of installation described on reflectix web site. Always willing to learn.

Aalways
Old 03-02-2014, 04:29 PM   #47

All,

If you consider cutting into your door to insulate first build a jig to maintain x-y-z diemensions (Cartesian Coordinates) ,concave and convex surface radius etc. Before you cut clamp it in the jig cut, insulate and then reglass the cut out piece back in place. If you use a carbide fine wood trim blade or router you will have min 3/32" to 1/4" kerf ensure the blade is SHARP . Freud makes some good blades and router bits mind you the router bit will be a larger kerf. You may wish to tape either side of your cut to reduce chipping, once you have the cut out you will need to add filler pieces around the edges attached to the interior so that when you place the cut out back in it sits even with the surface search Flush Patching Honey comb fiberglass in google you will find links to the basics of how it is accomplished. I have only glossed the surface on how to do this. I do not recommend anyone who has not done this type of work attempting this with out someone who knows what they are doing you stand a very good chance of ruining your door. If the dimensions and curves are not held it will not fit or close right again. I have done this work on aircraft bonded honeycomb panels with multiple radius's it would take over a week to do it right between building the jig, cutting , install insulation, install backers to support cut out, install cut out, reglass kerf then test fit if it works gel coat and refit. That is presuming you have a fully equipped shop for building the jig, heat room curing, vacuum pump and all the fiberglass materials. A compentent boat shop could do the work or if you live near an airport find out who does Air Craft Structural Repairs locally they could do it. The drill and fill method might work though yes what ever product you use might settle some atleast your only fixing small holes not risking the doors shape. IMHO

Has anyone approached ETI on ordering a door insulated for a swap out ( core charge type system though color match might be an issue), sending them the door for them to do it either way would be costly but just a thought. Perhaps ETI could take a picture of the door halves before they are joined so if someone wants to see where to drill and fill etc they know what is behind the panel.

Cypherian
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 04:36 PM   #48

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
With that warning, I'm gonna pull the covers over my head.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:11 PM   #49

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
With that warning, I'm gonna pull the covers over my head.
and turn the furnace up a bit too I bet!

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:57 AM   #50

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
It will be a cold day in hell when I cut open my door. However, on a recent camping trip dear one complained of her head being cold overnight, which puzzled me since we have the double panes. Heat loss at metal window frames does get my attention. Now, what to do?
Old 03-07-2014, 09:13 AM   #51

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Get yourself a 21', no windows near your head.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:22 AM   #52

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
or, if everything else is warm, a lightweight wool beanie - about $32K cheaper .
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:25 AM   #53

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
True, it can match your jammies!!
Old 08-29-2014, 02:33 PM   #54

Trailer: 17
Hack and prevention of this popular camera
iPhone ATM PIN code hack- HOW TO PREVENT - YouTube
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 03:15 PM   #55

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Is the pin code valuable without the card?
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote