Infrared Images - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2014, 03:19 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Infrared Images

A friend recently bought a Flir infrared camera. I borrowed it to take some pictures of the Escape. The images confirmed several things. I know that everyone is concerned about the thermal pane windows as insulators, but glass is a good insulator even when not thermal pane. I always was more concerned about the frames. I always felt that that aluminum "wicks" the cold to the inside and that they are one of the main reasons for condensation. The thermal pane windows appear to be better than the walls, but the frames are very cold in comparison. Also, the uninsulated door and floors are definitely cold spots. Vents, of course, are others. The pictures below are from the inside. Darker purples indicate cold. Interesting, I have included a picture of the bathroom vent with Reflectix in it and one without. I also lined the lids of both benches and have confirmed that the additional Reflectix under the lids does a lot to hold down cold penetration. I am going to see if I can get some good outside ones tonight with the heat on inside the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
FLIR0106.jpg   FLIR0115.jpg   FLIR0121.jpg   FLIR0123.jpg  
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:23 PM   #2

Insulated bench closed and insulated bench open. Cold bathroom floor. (I don't have the insulated underneath but am going to get it.
Attached Thumbnails
FLIR0111.jpg   FLIR0112.jpg   FLIR0122.jpg  
Old 02-28-2014, 04:11 PM   #3

Trailer: 21' Escape (June 2014)
Very interesting. Maybe we'll take some Reflectix with us when we pick up our trailer in Early June and do a little insulating of our own.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 04:14 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Thank you for taking and posting these. They confirm my observations from this last camping trip.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 04:24 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Yes, very interesting, now we need to test one with the spray foam underneath and see the results.Also FWIW, Escape is now insulating the doors.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:54 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Jim -- have you talked to Reace about how they insulate the doors? I wonder if it can be post-production?

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Jim -- have you talked to Reace about how they insulate the doors? I wonder if it can be post-production?
Reflectix is glued in place on one side of the door before the two halves are put together. Not something you can do post production. I did post an idea of removing the door, turning sideways, removing the lock and blowing styrofoam beads (ala bean bag filling) into the door and sealing the area by the lock before replacing. Thinking of doing this and will post pics and directions if/when I do.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Yes, very interesting, now we need to test one with the spray foam underneath and see the results.Also FWIW, Escape is now insulating the doors.
Hey, if Jim and Robin in Portland are reading this, maybe I can bring the camera down and take a picture of theirs. They live in Portland and got the insulated floor on their 15B.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:07 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
Reflectix is glued in place on one side of the door before the two halves are put together. Not something you can do post production. I did post an idea of removing the door, turning sideways, removing the lock and blowing styrofoam beads (ala bean bag filling) into the door and sealing the area by the lock before replacing. Thinking of doing this and will post pics and directions if/when I do.
Tim I remember and will be interested in how it goes. I wonder if you can get the beads onto all the spaces? One of the expanding foam cans should do for the sealing around the lock - especially if you get the limited expansion window variety.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 02-28-2014, 06:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
Thank you for taking and posting these. They confirm my observations from this last camping trip.
Karen, I'm referencing your other posting about recent trip. Notice the very cold areas in my images around the bench on every wall side. No wonder the condensation builds up around the cushions. I think if the cushions were made slightly smaller, then that mesh that people are buying could be placed in there between the cushion and the wall helping with the circulation in that area or at the very least, would allow for a small air space between cushions and walls. All of the other pictures I took show very cold areas in seams or where wall meet roof etc. Also the cabinets are very cold. Now if I could figure out how to insulate the window frames and not worry so much about the glass.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:05 PM   #11

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
Quote:
Tim I remember and will be interested in how it goes. I wonder if you can get the beads onto all the spaces? One of the expanding foam cans should do for the sealing around the lock - especially if you get the limited expansion window variety.
Can you use low expansion foam and do the entire door without using the beads? You'd need a longer piece of plastic tubing to get it down around through out the door but the foam should fill in all of the little spaces. It would be critical not to overfill and make sure that it is low expansion foam....
Buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:14 PM   #12

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
Can you use low expansion foam and do the entire door without using the beads? You'd need a longer piece of plastic tubing to get it down around through out the door but the foam should fill in all of the little spaces. It would be critical not to overfill and make sure that it is low expansion foam....
You go first.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:34 PM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I wonder how much a new, insulated door would cost? Maybe ridiculously expensive or not as bad as you think. In the end, the cost may be justifiable if it really adds to comfort. And, it IS a one and done.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I wonder how much a new, insulated door would cost? Maybe ridiculously expensive or not as bad as you think. In the end, the cost may be justifiable if it really adds to comfort. And, it IS a one and done.
The floor, window frames and the roof / vents still appear to be losing more heat than the door. I'm holding off on dealing with the door until I have the floor done and can address the aluminum frames on the windows. Always looking for good ideas, however.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:59 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy View Post

Buddy I've tried a longer tube for a home insulation project and the can's don't seem to have enough pressure to push it in a tube very much longer than normal tube. It ended up just plugging up the longer ones. I've thought of drilling access holes all around the door and using the low expansion stuff, but am too chicken to try it! (Also Baglo has infected me with the reticence to drill holes in the fiberglass)

Old 02-28-2014, 09:46 PM   #16

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
You have the option of turning up the heat.
What, me worry? :
Old 02-28-2014, 09:53 PM   #17

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Also Baglo has infected me with the reticence to drill holes in the fiberglass
...or anything else for that matter. Hence, my slapping on a puck light to solve a cabinet lighting problem.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:10 PM   #18
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
I'm holding off on dealing with the door until I have the floor done and can address the aluminum frames on the windows. Always looking for good ideas, however.
I wonder if coating the aluminum frames with a product like Plastic Dip Protective Coating would work? Basically, turning the aluminum frame into a "vinyl" frame...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:06 PM   #19

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I wonder if coating the aluminum frames with a product like Plastic Dip Protective Coating would work? Basically, turning the aluminum frame into a "vinyl" frame...
Well, sort of. To escape your Escape, heat must travel right through the frame. With a real vinyl frame, that would be a significant thickness of plastic, not just a thin coating.

I think there's some potential to the idea of covering the frame, but if you want a significant change in heat flow - not just reduced condensation - I think the cover would need to be much thicker.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 12:04 AM   #20

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
...or anything else for that matter. Hence, my slapping on a puck light to solve a cabinet lighting problem.
I've got those puck lights in a couple cupboards. Let me know next fall how many times you've moved the them to make them more effective.
The one I haven't had to move is just inside the bath door. My hand naturally falls on it and you just press it to turn it on. Helps me find the light over the sink in the dark of night.