Insulated vs non-insulated - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2014, 03:12 PM   #21

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
I can't imagine comfortable (warm & dry) winter camping camping anywhere in Canada (coastal/otherwise) without insulation. I opened the 2012 Season April 10th in Whistler, '13 March 31st in Banff and plan '14 for March 5th in Golden, BC. As a skier I PRAY for lots of snow :-) No freezing rain experience yet and no problems getting out of my insulated 19 the normal way so far.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:19 PM   #22

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Thank you Robert but the question is still not answered.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:42 PM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
Out of curiosity, if two Escape Trailers were parked together at a camp site, in a heavy snow condition, one insulated and one not, would the furnace melt the exterior snow off the non-insulated trailer?
I think the answer to your original question is a definite MAYBE/MAYBE NOT. It's not whether it's snow, or ice rain, or insulation or no insulation; what are the other factors in play? How deep was the snow on the trailer? How low did the temperature really get? For what duration? How long was the heater on? I don't think it's a simple yes or no.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:44 PM   #24

Your original question has too many variables to realistically control and solve for.

Exterior wet & dry bulb temps, wind speed, moisture content of snow, snow depth, interior temp, solar input, are just some that come to mind..

might be better use of time to address the concern and mitigate the potential for freezing at the trailer/door interface.. overhead gutter, non-insulated door, remove weather strip on lock side.. ensure emergency window exit works :-)
Old 01-29-2014, 03:50 PM   #25

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
J Mac. As far as your door freezing shut on a trailer that is insulated vs non-insulated, both should have a very similar likelihood that this would occur. The reason is that the weather strip of your door is in a location (i.e. around the edge of the door) where the insulation does not help to reduce heat loss. Therefore insulated vs uninsulated will not matter.

With regards to your question regarding snow melting off the roof of your Escape, I would say that the uninsulated trailer will have a greater rate of heat loss and a greater likelihood of melting the snow. However, as noted above, the exact performance will depend on too many factors that cannot be easily evaluated. Best would be for you to undertake a field trial in heavy snowfall conditions and report back to us.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:55 PM   #26

Thank you ice-breaker, Burloak, and santacruzer. You did what many before you tried. You answered the question.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:38 PM   #27

Trailer: 2014 E21
Are you using your Escape as lodging when you go skiing?
Vella
Old 01-29-2014, 04:39 PM   #28

No abby it was just a hypothetical question that eventually got answered.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:49 PM   #29

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Thank you ice-breaker, Burloak, and santacruzer. You did what many before you tried. You answered the question.
You must have misread my first post, as I did answer your original question there.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:54 PM   #30

Trailer: 2014 19' hatch date Feb. 27
[QUOTE=Jim Bennett;42902]You must have misread my first post, as I did answer your original question there.[

And within 6 minutes of first post! Most impressive.
ADKzookeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:15 PM   #31

Jim Bennett .....I guess when I read "it would likely melt both trailers" in your post I should have known you meant "it would likely melt the snow off both trailers".
Old 01-29-2014, 06:19 PM   #32

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Don't fret Jim, sometimes the same question is asked until they get the answer they want, you and I both know the answers received here is worth every penny paid for such.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:38 PM   #33

I just wanted an answer to the thread I started. Isn't that how forums work?
Old 01-29-2014, 06:40 PM   #34

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
The potential for snow melting off the roof, then freezing on the side as the water runs off exists for both insulated and non insulated trailers. The common denominator being the weather conditions but for the most part in my experience, it has been a non issue. I lived in a variety of trailers from RV's to industrial trailers over the years in northern Alberta. In periods between thawing and then freezing, water would sometimes freeze and ice build up on the side of the trailer regardless of the insulation. This was usually a very short term problem.
Never had a problem with the door freezing shut and trapping someone inside in part due to design. The drip cap over the door prevented water from running down the door and building up. Also, air leakage around the doors allows warm air to leave the trailer as trailer door seals are not perfect by a long shot. I realize that this answer is not specific to the insulated or non insulated 17b but short of peer reviewed research, I think the experiences I've had are applicable.
In cold weather, my bigger concern would be keep the trailer warm and pipes from freezing, insulated or not.
Rick
Buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:48 PM   #35

Thank you Buddy!
Old 01-29-2014, 11:05 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by abby View Post
Are you using your Escape as lodging when you go skiing?
Vella
Absolutely, my cozy 16x7 ski chalet I start out dry camping till things warm up a bit. Heated clean campground washrooms help a lot
Old 01-30-2014, 12:22 PM   #37

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I also coated the rubber with vaseline to prevent future sticky situations.
Quote:
Vaseline is a petroleum product and will rot rubber gaskets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Silicone?
Yes, the method makes sense, and silicone lubricants are the usual answer in the automotive world.

Quote:
I just wanted an answer to the thread I started. Isn't that how forums work?
No; you may be thinking of a help desk service.
A forum is a conversation: you say something, other people say something which is likely related but not dictated by you. It goes back and forth, and may or may not go where you want.

Frustrating, isn't it?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:36 PM   #38

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Snow is actually a pretty good insulating material. For example, in our cold climates, when the ground is covered with snow the depth of frost penetration into the ground during the winter is significantly reduced relative to areas with no snow cover.
- Question is, how will the snow cover on the roof of your Escape impact life inside your Escape after a heavy snowfall?
- Will the deep snow on the roof help to slow down the rate of heat loss from your Escape so that your furnace does not need to work as hard?
- Will the heat loss through the roof of your Escape melt the snow on the roof?
- Is there any difference in the answers to these questions if your Escape has extra insulation?
- Is there only one correct answer to these questions?

I am starting to regret cutting classes on the day we discussed this in my thermodynamics class in University.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote